2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tanooki wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I was doing well. Then I bought a PC Engine CD on impulse at a retro game store. Oh well, no regrets.

Same move I pulled with the Dreamcast, and then weeks later a Wii. Hopefully unlike me you realize it's something you really do wish to use and keep, otherwise well you know how it goes. My DC is out of here, the Wii is under strong consideration too.

I collect games and hardware, not flip them.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm sure you do, everyone starts out that way but unless you're a hoarder eventually stuff gets sold being done with it or mistakes are made.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with culling a collection that gives you no joy.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Agreed. Most of use those sales to fuel other aspects of the hobby anyway, so looking at it as selling out or not being a real collector is a bit one sided. I have 2 kiddos that come first. I also put a good bit into mortgage, property taxes, student loans, retirement, cars, blah, real life stuff. I also carry zero CC debt. Many more obligations than I had years ago when I got into this. My gameroom also doubles as my work office now (needed more space). At some point, your priorities might change, maybe not. At the end of the day for me, it shifted over time to playing games, over having shelves of costly games.

Sometimes if I really want something game related that is pricey or I'm saving money, I'll trim down some unwanted items to subsidize my new game purchase or upcoming mod/emu/flash cart project. I'm not extorting any community members. This portion of retro game collecting is actually a huge part of the hobby to me. Find things, test them, keep some, sell some, give others deals, help others acquire things, use extra funds to fuel buying items I want to try, rinse, repeat.

@Tanooki, let me know how Super ED is. I ended up picking up a SD2SNES last May & I really enjoy it but to be honest, it gets the least use out of my 3 flash carts. Those helper chips in SNES carts can get tricky and SD2SNES supported a few more games/chip sets. None of them supported FX games (as of last year anyway). Looking back, I might've just emulated those titles that weren't compatible with Super ED for the ~$100 price tag variance with SD2. I think some games like FF3/6 still have some flash cart issues all around so I'm already supplementing with emu either way.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Tanooki wrote:I'm sure you do, everyone starts out that way but unless you're a hoarder eventually stuff gets sold being done with it or mistakes are made.

I don't know...I have been collecting for 20 years, and I have a special provision in my will providing for my collection's disposition upon my death.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I've been at it for 22 years and been through a gut punching painful sell off due to unemployment a dozen years back. It's demoralizing and crushing, never did get a good fraction of it back. Times came where I considered it, but then saw where things went once people got scared of the NES boom like 8-9 years ago that had plateaued and stayed high.

With some debt involved, a wife who can't work much, and you can figure how that stuffs up, I have to buy some to sell some and keep some. If it's a bigger thing, deeper cuts get made selling off more stuff. Have a 5 year old now, she takes up enough time as does other stuff. I don't persay care less, but I am vastly demotivated to start but am fine once I do. To me a wall of it is a burden so I've swapped out a heap of games and systems for a pinball, arcade cab and carts for it, gaming laptop, tablets, antiques, whatever else that are just more interesting. If that makes me a dirty flipper so be it, not everyone is flush with cash.

Sometimes I slip (DC, Wii) and know I should have not kept it, but did, so corrections need to be made. I'm further down on total games, and it's starting to feel more fun again and not so much a burden. That's where I am with things, and that's why I had that list of things to do better in this year. Cut the burden, enjoy more what I chose to keep.

Tracking says the SuperED should be here monday, hopefully a SD card that was put in the mail as a trade arrives then too. :) I'll have to put the DSP games back on there, but otherwise that'll say hours of work.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

3rd quarter update. Nearly crossed everything off the list!

bmoc wrote:1. Get a Nintendo Switch. Done
2. Get a RetroUSB AVS + Everdrive. I'm holding off on this until I know more about Polymega. Allegedly they are doing a preorder campaign this fall and hope to ship summer 2018. Should know more soon.
3. Get an OSSC and maybe sell my last PVM. Done and I am now PVM-less
4. Get Breath of the Wild, Cuphead, Tekken 7, MvC Infinite, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Just preorderd Cuphead since it is coming out tomorrow. My hype for Tekken 7 and MvC Infinite has died down quite a bit so I'm taking them off the list for the year-end update. I'll still probably get both but it will be after a significant price drop. I've had Xenoblade 2 preordered since January.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies wrote:The main goal I have for 2017 is to get under 100 Unfinished Games. I am currently at 101, so I don't think it will be that hard. However, the hard part will be staying under 100 from now on. It would be so easy to just buy a few more and completely ruin it.

General Goal: Get Under 100 Unfinished Games Beat on 01-19-17

And just because, let's add some specific goals for each console:

1. NES = Beat Castlevania 3 Beat on 02-13-17
2. GEN = Beat a Season as Coach in Tecmo Super Bowl Beat on 07-04-17
3. SNES = Beat Final Fantasy V Beat on 07-07-17
4. N64 = Beat Conker's Bad Fur Day Beat on 03-22-17
5. DC = Beat Skies of Arcadia
6. PS1 = Buy A New Game Bought on 03-21-17
7. PS2 = Beat Xenosaga Beat on 05-09-17
8. GCN = Beat Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker Beat on 09-14-17
9. XBOX = Complete Crimson Skies Completed on 01-25-17

I forgot to add my addition of beating Wind Waker two weeks ago!

I have also started Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast. I absolutely adore it, but I also know that it is super long. I'm working on collecting my second large stone in the game.

Thanks to my large amount of free time, I have a chance of beating it this year. However, I am not certain, so I think it will be tight.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I think I only ended up finishing like two of my five or six 2016 goals, but I'll try this again!

1. Complete my Fire Emblem collection. I still need the Famicom original, Thracia 776, Binding Blade, and the Japan-exclusive DS one.

2. Beat the Witcher trilogy. I've got all three, and I've played through the first one, but I need to play 2 and 3.

3. Get at least a couple of Hyperscan games (along with a controller and power cord)

4. Finish the Fatal Frame series (this is a carry over from 2016 since I got hella slack)

5. Have a zero balance on my Amazon and SECU credit cards at literally any point during the year.

#1 won't get done this year. #1 is done. #3 won't get done this year. #4 probably won't get done this year. #5 definitely won't get done this year. I'm a failure of a human being. X_x
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

alienjesus wrote:1. Beat 3 games in order to buy 1
This is the complicated one. Basically, I'll randomly select a game from my backlog using the backloggery's fortune cookie function. Then I'll choose 2 other unbeaten games for that console. I have to beat those 3 games before I can buy another. This means I beat more than I buy, the random game means I play stuff I might not otherwise, choosing the other 2 gives me some degree of freedom, and sticking to once console focuses my playing more than usual.

2. Finish my alphabet marathon
Yeah, still a ways off finishing this. I'm only at game T.

3. Buy a Switch and one other new console
I'm thinking Sega Mega CD or SG1000. Maybe Wonderswan though!

And just because I know it will happen - exceptions to my beat 3 buy 1 rule:

- Gifts don't count (Christmas/birthdays)

1. Nope

2. Npe

3. Bought a Switch.

Yeah, not doing well on these. Pretty much given up on these goals tbh.