Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:"Beat 3 games in order to buy 1" :lol:

A good idea though.

I stuck to it for about 4 months and then I relapsed. :lol:
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by Michi »

The road to compulsive hoarding is paved with good intentions.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Let's see how this year has gone for me...

Exhuminator's 2017 gaming goals:

1. Get my new dork cave setup and fully functional.

2. Beat Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

3. Beat Demon's Souls.

4. Beat The 7th Saga.

5. Beat at least five four more Vita games.

The first three goals alone were fairly monumental, getting those done is impressive (to me anyway). I had to do a lot of work to get my new dork cave setup. TO:LUCT was not exactly a push over (Hanging Gardens section anyone?), and beating Demon's Souls as a non-magic using fat rolling soldier was challenging to say the least.

For what I haven't done on that list yet; I don't know about beating The 7th Saga. It's not that the game is hard (it is), but rather it's just boring and grindy as hell. My save file is close to 4/5ths of the way through, but ugh it's such a banal slog. I don't know what Ack and Bone see in it to be honest. As for beating more Vita games, I only have myself to blame. I really should beat at least two more before 2018.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Xeogred wrote:"Beat 3 games in order to buy 1" :lol:

A good idea though.

I use this rule and it has helped me tremendously! I went from 175 to 78.

If anybody wants to make Backlog/Library Progress, then this is an excellent rule to live by.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:The first three goals alone were fairly monumental, getting those done is impressive (to me anyway). I had to do a lot of work to get my new dork cave setup. TO:LUCT was not exactly a push over (Hanging Gardens section anyone?), and beating Demon's Souls as a non-magic using fat rolling soldier was challenging to say the least.

Demon's Souls, your GOTY right? :mrgreen:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Demon's Souls, your GOTY right?

As of right now it would be. It was a phenomenal experience.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

There's NO way I'm making mine. I mean, I did the first bit of continuing to sell stuff and getting through more backlog, sure, but there is no way in hell that I'm gonna finish another TWO Tales games before the year is out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Demon's Souls, your GOTY right?

As of right now it would be. It was a phenomenal experience.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Xeogred wrote:lol

I've actually been wondering if I should start to focus on one system's backlog per year now (since I'm getting older and time is weird). Not sure if that would burn me out though, but maybe it'd be awesome and I'd really get things done? I guess the two biggest backlogs I have are the PSX and PS2. Maybe a bit daunting since it's a lot of JRPG's. I won't beat myself up though if I don't finish them. Just need some kind of kick to get started or an idea haha.

I'll probably carry over some 2016 goals. Get through System Shock 1 and a King's Field or Shadow Tower.

My favorite goal I did over the years was last years focus on Castlevania and the non-Metroidvania ones. It'll be hard to top that idea. I can't think of very many other huge 8/16 bit series I haven't touched or that interest me to that level. Hmm...

In retrospect I'm a little disappointed that I didn't set some cool goals this year to look back on. I did some stuff I thought about though, tried King's Field again, beat System Shock 1, knocked down the backlogs a little more, etc.

My 2015 Castlevanathon was probably the best. I did finally play a ton of Contra this year and that ruled.

So I'm brainstorming some ideas when we make a new thread for 2018...

- Play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
- Beat two Dragon Quest games (two because the new one comes out next year, so this is a crutch on myself to play an old one too)

- Play Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
- Play Gun Hazard
- Play Brain Lord

At this point I bet I'm making people roll their eyes when I talk DQ... it's been years. I need a miracle. :lol:

But I am also finally reaching a crossroads where I've played a lot of the big iconic games by now. Classicvania and Contra were big series' I somehow accidentally missed growing up, so those were some big ones (weirdly enough I had already played all the Gradius games and love those). For Capcom and Konami, I'm not really sure what I have left for some NES era franchises and whatnot. I think these kind of goals have always been the most fun and rewarding to me, tackling huge long running series from the old. I'm just not sure what my options are now. Might have to start doing more research and go for obscure titles now.
Last edited by Xeogred on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.