Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Spooky time games for spooky times.

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 am

Forgot to mention - I was initially planning on playing Haunted House (or "Cartridge #4") for the Odyssey. I suppose this is the first horror game ever - or at least the first game with a "spooky" setting. Unfortunately, I seem to lack the screen overlay and supplemental materials, which means that gameplay would consist solely of moving a light around the television screen. Shucks. I do have everything I need to play the poker and football games though, go figure.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:24 pm

I think I might also join in with the spooky games. I don't have too many (a few on Steam and Fatal Frame), but I keep on putting them off for October and then never playing them.

Now I'm not sure if I'll actually beat any of them, since I'm a bit of a wimp, but I'll see I guess haha.
AaronC
8-bit

by AaronC Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 pm

Dead Space 2 scares the heck out of me. Great atmosphere and the game just gives such a sense of dread from beginning to end. The first one is good, but it depends too much on jump scares. DS2 just sits so heavy on you as you move through the game. Highly recommended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 am

I just finished The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, which I am totally counting as one of my October horror games. What I almost definitely have on tap:

Until Dawn
Soma
The Typing of the Dead Overkill
Cthulhu Saves The World
Bulb Boy
Elegy for a Dead World

and maybe:

Town of Salem
Resident Evil 6
Grim Dawn
a Penumbra game
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Phantasmagoria
Kholat

I also plan to pick up the PSVR and may dabble in anything scary I can find for that...

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've been meaning to finish The Count for the longest time.

I played this last year and thought it was pretty great. What version are you thinking of playing?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am

VIC-20!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 am

dsheinem wrote:Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

I'm not big on first-person games, but Call of Cthulhu is rad. I highly recommend playing it immediately after re-reading The Shadow over Innsmouth (and, if you have time, At The Mountains of Madness). The game's faithfulness to those H.P. Lovecraft classics is admirable, to say the very least.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:29 pm

I loaded ePSXe on my phone, and some survival horror stuff on it as well. I'll be trying out Hellnight tomorrow if all goes as planned. The PSP stuff I may play on the phone as well using PPSSPP. Depends on if I'm too lazy to dig the PSP out of a box when the time comes.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Rolled through Haunted House a few times this evening. Such a boss game, even if your character resembles a meatball. One of the better titles on the 2600. Anyone ever play Return to Haunted House? I believe it's only found on one specific plug and play and a DS compilation... Maybe a homebrew cart exists too?

Nabbed Ghost Manor $9.95 BIN from an eBay seller. Looking forward to that one. It's one of those double ended carts so there's another game to go with it!

Not having much luck with The Count. As I lack the Commodore datasette, I can't save my game. The game technically isn't long but there are some seemingly randomized elements that can lead to instant Game Over. As I can't save, I can't reload, so a death means I have to start from scratch. I looked at emulation and the ROM isn't playing nicely with WinVICE. Ya know, the datasette has been on my gaming "Want List" for an eternity. I should just pony up the money and perhaps finally muscle through this game next October. I have enjoyed what I've played.

I've also been hitting up the first Higurashi visual novel. It's..... okay. Wish it was moving along at a brisker pace. There's so much pedantic bullshit included in the text, like what the characters are eating for lunch and so on. Nothing "scary" yet.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Aliens Versus Pinball - because Aliens.
Alone In The Dark - for TR.
Friday the 13th - assuming it does come out in Oct as planned.
Ghosts N Goblins - for TR.
Nightcry - because Clock Tower.
Resident Evil 0 HD - started earlier this year, but stopped playing.
Umbrella Chronicles - IDGAF... I wanna try it.

I installed Alone In The Dark this weekend, and fired it up. OMG. I have no idea what I'm doing. In the attic I found a shotgun. Something crashed through the window. I equipped the shotgun... and... no idea. That thing just killed me while I tried to figure out what to do. Time to RTFM.

I own a big box Capcom arcade collection that has GnG on it. No matter what settings I tried to run it at, it looked like a Basquiat painting. So I opted instead to install Ghosts N Demons which is a fan-remake on Itch.io - and it's really good. Runs great, plays nicely w/ controllers, has multiple scanline options, and so on. Game is still really hard tho haha.

I loaded up RE0 again but I saved my game so long ago I don't remember what I'm doing. Which is annoying. I'm not a big fan of starting games over. We'll see what happens.

All the other games listed above are installed minus F13 which isn't out yet.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Anchorhead is a free text adventure you can play in your browser: http://pr-if.org/play/anchorhead/
Return to General Gaming