Spooky time games for spooky times.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Spooky time games for spooky times.

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:OH DUDE. I would Kickstart the hell out of a Buffy Telltale game. Wow.

Not exactly a crazy theory. Season 8 of Buffy in the comics was hella rad and now TellTale has done multiple comic games (TWAU and Batman). So yeah. I'll call them and tell them what they have to do. :D
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If yall have Playstation VR, yall NEED to play Until Dawn: Rush of Blood this month. It's a great game and perfect for Halloween.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Xeogred wrote:The most? Better than RE1-RE2? :shock: ...

Yeah so the fog thing, I'm not sure if it's the HD version (last one I played, sounds like you're playing the DC release) but if the corners of interior buildings look pitch black, search those very thoroughly. You'll find a lot of herbs and stuff like that along really dark walls and corners.

I actually think the controls are worse than RE1-RE3, it's more loose, but maybe that's why you and others might prefer it heh.

The bow gun is quite weak so the ammo count is a little deceiving. It's good on one particular enemy later though. The explosive darts are amazingly good.

Yeah there's definitely not many item boxes in this one. There are ZERO in RE0, it lets you drop items in rooms instead and then they're noted on the map. But you can only drop a limited amount per room. I think it was a terrible idea. I'm actually replaying RE0 now myself and it's cool, but still feels low tier to me because of the item management and two characters thing. Weird ideas.

I'm at the nostalgia portion of CV (on Disc 2) and would definitely rank this above RE 2, especially, and probably the first game, as well. After they started appearing, the item boxes felt the best placed of any of the first four games, also (although Chris' aren't quite as convenient). Aside from the boss on the plane--who is still not nearly as frustrating to me as the cemetery in RE3--and some of Chris' part in the training grounds--mostly the game trying to keep a shotgun out of my hands--I've enjoyed everything about the game. The safe room music is intoxicating, too.

I haven't had trouble with seeing things in the corners of rooms, aside from where it's intentionally dark due to a lack of electricity, etc. It's just the hazy effect that fills a lot of the rooms feels like it detracts from the polish of the graphics a bit. It hasn't felt as common in the second disc, though.

Do you happen to play using the analog stick for movement? I've only played the REs on Sega consoles, but I also really only use the D-pad. For me, the controls in 2 and 3 felt very loose, and slow. CV's have felt very Goldilocks: not too stiff, not too loose.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I only use the d-pad for classic RE styed games. Might just be my nostalgia playing since I grew up on RE2.

I must highly disagree with everything else you said. :P

Maybe the lighting/aliasing is off with the HD version then. You can't alter the brightness in game and I didn't want to touch my TV for it, but I literally could not see a single fragment of several items in corners and alongside walls. Seemed weird.

I played and beat RE0 yesterday, probably burned through 80% of it in a day. I guess you had some item box troubles in the other games pierrot, but well you will definitely miss them here. This is still my biggest complaint with Zero, they took out item boxes. Instead the game lets you drop items down to the floor, but any given room can only hold 8-10 items or so. So, yes, no more linked access to your stored away items. Wherever you drop something is obviously the only place it's ever going to be.

My first time through Zero I didn't realize that later on in the game you'd have the ability to easily backtrack throughout most of the game to more easily grab items you might have stored away somewhere... So the further I got into the game and away from the big two mansion-entrance like areas that I treated as my main item hub rooms, I was constantly sending my characters back and forth to transfer items around. That was a massive mistake and made my first experience pretty sour... so this time I didn't bother, and rarely even picked up herbs too. Dropped items are marked on the map and if you examine items but don't pick them up, they are then marked (with an extra sparkle to see them in game better), so I just did this with herbs to mark them.

If anyone here is playing Zero (noise?) or others considering it, definitely take that advice ... try not to hoarde the items around too much or keep them too organized, it'll just give you a headache in the long run.

In Zero, the grenade launcher also takes up two slots. As does the hookshot which you have to lug around at times. Luckily I knew when and where I needed that.

Like I joked earlier the game is extremely brown too. I'm not a fan of the train prologue level either. So it's kind of so-so in the level design department.

tl;dr I didn't love Zero my first time through, but it was more fun a second time around knowing some things about it ahead of time, that made another experience a lot better. Rebecca is awesome and Billy is one of the better random one shot characters thrown in for whatever reason, and it's cool to see more Wesker and Birkin plotting behind the scenes. The story is otherwise pretty whatever though with a laughable antagonist and ending, but yeah solid stuff. I like it more than CV for sure.

The plot is very bare bones in RE3, but the classic vibes and fun factor still remains there for me, so I'd still take that one over RE0 and CV. RE1/REmake and RE2 completely blow those out of the water for me though, those are perfection to me.

I also got the RE5 platinum for the PS4 haha. It wasn't that bad. Sunk 23 hours into it to finish up all the difficulties. I still think it's an incredible game and gets wrongly slammed. Now I'm blasting through RE4 HD and loving it again too. Easy to just say that RE1/REmake/RE2 and RE4/RE5 are my favorites, two sides (survival/adventure and then action) of the series that did their respective focus best in my opinion.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Started up Lone Survivor: Director's Cut on the WiiU. I dig this old school adventure game aesthetic.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I spent a good amount of time this weekend playing through Grabbed By The Ghoulies on XBox.

I'll post my thoughts in the games beaten thread soon enough, but advance spoilers - my feelins were mixed at best.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I finished up The Room 3 yesterday, and I found the last alternate ending this morning. It was great, and it was perfect for the Halloween season. I may try to squeeze in one more scary game before the end of the month. I am leaning toward The Hysteria Project and Hysteria Project 2 since according to HLTB, I can get through both in about 2 /12 hours. :lol:
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I went through Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania 3 this weekend. The fourth game is one I've done before, but this was my first time finishing the third game. Upon finishing it I immediately started up Simons Quest, I got two pieces of Dracula and I called it a night. I'll finish that one up this week some time.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Finished up Code: Veronica last night, and I still feel it's the best of the first four games in the series. I looked at some footage of the HD remakes of CVX, and the lighting effects seem like an extreme detriment to the game. It is way too dark, and poorly contrasted. I'm not surprised you had trouble seeing items, Xeogred.

So, there were a handful of things I found upsetting: the dual Lugers "puzzle" (I still don't understand the "solution"), cargo hold boss (I thought he would at least indicate when he was softened up enough), SSJ5 Steve, the second music box puzzle (I can't just grab the plate, and, oh, I don't know, close the box?), the linear launcher (maybe it's easier to aim with the analog pad). I would have been more upset about the first Alexia fight, since the only things I had in my inventory were two combat knives, and the handgun, with a full clip, but the retry option put me back right before the fight. Plus it probably made the fight a little more exciting. Those aside, I really enjoyed the setting and presentation, the music was excellent, the controls felt like a dream in comparison to a lot of other tank controls, and left on its own, the story isn't terribly annoying. It doesn't have the absurd amount of replay value and extra content that 2 does, but I enjoyed my time with CV more, anyway.

Now I really only have Gamecube REs left unplayed (0, REmake, and 4), but I had kind of forgotten that I own Deep Fear, so I think I'm going to try beat that before the end of the month.