Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appreciation thread

Post by Jrecee »

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Finally! A person who out TMNT's me. I've been waiting many years to see this. Congrats!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

noiseredux wrote:I'm planning to play Mutants In Manhattan soon. I've heard (and seen) good things.

I popped this in and it's terrible. It looks nice but it's boring and aimless. I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first level after spending ten minutes in an empty level full of samey buildings trying to find the boss to battle. Totally meh.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I finished it and it's not horrible just mediocre. I don't blame Platinum as Activision put the project on them with less than a year to get it out. The game was made on a time and budget constraint. I would like to see PG properly give it another go with a proper budget and time.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Segata wrote:I finished it and it's not horrible just mediocre. I don't blame Platinum as Activision put the project on them with less than a year to get it out. The game was made on a time and budget constraint. I would like to see PG properly give it another go with a proper budget and time.

Hey, if Platinum signed that contract, they have to be responsible for the end result.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:
Segata wrote:I finished it and it's not horrible just mediocre. I don't blame Platinum as Activision put the project on them with less than a year to get it out. The game was made on a time and budget constraint. I would like to see PG properly give it another go with a proper budget and time.

Hey, if Platinum signed that contract, they have to be responsible for the end result.

Accountability!
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:

They have to keep the lights on and I still blame Activision. AAA publishers often will move up a date and nothing a developer can do really. It's a less extreme situation of ET on Atari.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Segata this time on this situation. It falls on the publisher if they're pulling the purse strings. That said, within some bounds the developer still can have some honor and try and slide things in/by that help the situation some. I'm not sure if there was a case for that with TMNT or not.

When I was on Defender for Gamecube back in 2002 they tried to slide the game out with broken controls. I griped and Midway was like, no more changes, just bugs because all they wanted was to meet the date. I went behind their backs and emailed the developer we subcontracted out to and had them sneak in a second set of controls (C and D which is a reversal of motion) after the fact and it was included in the next build. Sadly the manual doesn't even bring it up, but for those who care if you play it on the Cube stock it's the worst release control wise, best otherwise because the -1 button, you lose the vital to live(later in game) strafe feature. On C+D mode, I created an entirely new combo/aped turok+starfox64 style control method to get it included and works comfortably.

So it's possible to get things by to fix stuff, but if they core game is crap and the developer is stuck peddling garbage there's not much they can do if they want a paycheck. I don't know the deal with TMNT as I never bought it, but if it's the core game that's broken it's beyond redemption, but if it could have used some tweaks to dramatically improve it then it's a lost opportunity.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Wow, that's fascinating, Tanooki. Inside stories like that are super-cool to us not in the biz.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Very interesting story, Tanooki.