Summer Games Challenge 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:Shadow Tower Abyss

I cleared two areas on the second tier of the tower last night.

One area had an industrial factory motif overrun with huge vines. This area wasn't too difficult except most of the enemies there could regenerate appendages, meaning you had to kill them as quickly as possible. I got tricked by a bastard NPC who asked for money, then locked me in a room with an exploding treasure chest. I made my way out of there and he was gone. Really sucks because I'm pretty sure I needed to kill that guy to finish a sidequest for a demoness' request earlier in the game. Probably locked myself out of a magic sword or something. Anyway, ended up working my way to the bottom of the place and killing a boss resembling a giant plant with a huge eye. From there I moved on to the cliffs area.

Oh man, the cliffs. So this place consists of narrow walkways precariously crisscrossing a bottomless pit. Being super careful not to fall off is hard enough, but then there's these damned harpies flying around who make your life miserable. They fly around haphazardly, and then dive bomb you, and do massive damage if they hit (and they will hit). The first time here I made it through the area and killed the boss (super powerful harpie with magic armor), then on the return trip screwed up trying to take a shortcut and fell off a goddamn cliff. :roll: Cost me 45 minutes of gameplay (there's no save pillar in the cliffs area that I could find). The second time through I was pissed off and in a hurry, and ended up getting killed by a harpie protecting its nest. (It wasn't too happy that I killed its chick.) That cost me another 30 minutes of gameplay. The THIRD time through, I just took things as methodically as possible, and utilized guns and offensive magic as much as possible, and maneuvered as carefully as possible, and finally succeeded. I killed the boss, got the next elevator key, and left the area still in one piece. But yeah, I saw this screen way more often then I'd like to have last night:

I put three straight hours into Shadow Tower Abyss last night, but my save file says I've only been playing for 6.5 hours. Of course that doesn't include the 1.5 hours I've lost from dying and losing progress. Still loving STA though, don't get me wrong. I stayed up too late playing, and feel like shit today, always a good sign I'm playing something great!

The cliffs there reminds me of one of my favorite levels in Demon's. :shock:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I finished Shadow Tower Abyss tonight. That was the last game I'm gonna do for the SGC'16. Will review it tomorrow if I can.

For SGC'17, I plan to pick only 5 games. I think 5 games is a reasonable list.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I played more Fire Emblem this weekend. I'm no on to chapter 17, where you can recruit my favouriter character - Est. She comes super underlevelled but her growth rates are fantastic and she quickly becomes a dominant force with a little starting effort. Between her and Tiki on chapter 19, I should have my full roster before long.

Seeing how there aren't many chapters left and I've not been abusing arenas in this game, I think it's about time I start promoting units even though they're not level 20. I'm going to promote Gordon, Ogma, Sheeda, Navarre and Cain with the promotion items I currently have, and hopefully I'll pick up a few more soon too. I've not had any magic user promotion items yet, which is annoying as my cleric has been maximum level for about 10 missions now.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

- Shining Force (Genesis) - I have beaten the game!
- Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast) - I have beaten the game!
- Thousand Arms (Playstation 1) - I have beaten the game!
- Metal Saga (Playstation 2) - I have beaten the game!
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - I have beaten the game.
- Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic - I have beaten the game.

I forgot to update this, but I did it! In May, I had 6 RPG's on my Now Playing list and by the middle of August, I removed them all. I beat every single game on my Summer Games Challenge.

I really enjoyed this! Though, playing more games in the summer is just not feasible with a full time job and being 34. However, it was fun coming up with a goal and I will try this again next year.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Markies wrote:I beat every single game on my Summer Games Challenge.

Markies wrote:playing more games in the summer is just not feasible with a full time job and being 34

As a 37 year old with a full time job... I disagree.

Disregard sleep. Play games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

1. Dragon Quest 5 - DS
2. Paper Mario - N64
3. Outlaws: Handful of Missions - PC
4. Wing Commander 1,2, or 3 - PC
5. Witcher 1 - PC

Still puttering through DQ5. Wing Commander 1 will be beaten this week, hopefully.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Puttering through DQ5 sounds about right. I found that one's scenario design to be... uninspiring.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

After having taken a four-year hiatus from it, I finally put Shenmue to bed last night.

I'd apparently gotten burned out about three or four in-game days away from the conclusion. :P

Thoughts to follow.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would