Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19370
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:37 pm

I did Metroid and Zelda II back-to-back a couple of summers ago. Great games.
User avatar
Markies
128-bit
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by Markies Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Sarge wrote:If you have access to Tecmo Super Bowl, play that. It's amazing. My favorite football game of all time.

Best overall team in that game is probably the 49ers


Tecmo Super Bowl was basically my childhood. I came very close to beating the game with every team, but I eventually lost track. I did beat it with the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts, the two worst teams in the game.

I also beat it with the 49ers where all I did was do Montana to Rice. And now, I want to beat it only using Bo Jackson and the Raiders. I recently did a preseason game where the final was 100-0 against the Colts.

Use either of those teams and doing the Nose Tackle trick basically breaks the game.

But, Tecmo Super Bowl is probably the best sports video game of all time. Even people who don't like sports can get into it. I played against my friend who hates sports where I was Coach and he was a normal player and that was an exciting game.
Image
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10699
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I did Metroid and Zelda II back-to-back a couple of summers ago. Great games.


Both are fantastic, but I prefer Zelda II. (Metroid has arguably the best atmosphere and music of any 8-bit game, however.)

Right now, I am playing through Kid Icarus, which seems to borrow a bit from Metroid. It starts out incredibly frustrating, but now that I am into it, I love it. I will probably beat it soon, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a game for the Summer Gaming Challenge.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7269
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by Sarge Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Markies wrote:
Sarge wrote:If you have access to Tecmo Super Bowl, play that. It's amazing. My favorite football game of all time.

Best overall team in that game is probably the 49ers


Tecmo Super Bowl was basically my childhood. I came very close to beating the game with every team, but I eventually lost track. I did beat it with the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts, the two worst teams in the game.

I also beat it with the 49ers where all I did was do Montana to Rice. And now, I want to beat it only using Bo Jackson and the Raiders. I recently did a preseason game where the final was 100-0 against the Colts.

Use either of those teams and doing the Nose Tackle trick basically breaks the game.

But, Tecmo Super Bowl is probably the best sports video game of all time. Even people who don't like sports can get into it. I played against my friend who hates sports where I was Coach and he was a normal player and that was an exciting game.

I actually did beat it with every team. I was insane when it came to that game. That Patriots run were brutal... but I think the Colts might even be worse. At least the Pats had a couple of decent receivers, and you could swap quarterbacks based on who was in the best condition. And the Colts defense is just awful. Awful. Hey, it's almost like when Peyton played there!

I think I'm on board with it being the best of all time. It's definitely my favorite, one of the few sports games I played incessantly. And the detailed statistical tracking appealed to me a ton.

Can you believe I never knew about the nose tackle trick, though? Man, I could have made things so much easier. As it was, I'd just use a fast linebacker and squeeze through the gaps in the line. I could get to the QB fast, and was usually in a position to sniff out the other plays if I called the wrong defense.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19370
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Right now, I am playing through Kid Icarus, which seems to borrow a bit from Metroid. It starts out incredibly frustrating, but now that I am into it, I love it. I will probably beat it soon, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a game for the Summer Gaming Challenge.


I actually considering including this one, but I don't want to include a game that I don't own yet.

Maybe if I snag a copy in the coming months I'll swap out my "troll pick" of Hydlide II.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8306
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by alienjesus Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:I so want to participate, but I don't think I have enough truly classic games to fill out an entire list. You guys wanna help me?

Apple II:
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Dreamcast:
ChuChu Rocket!
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Shenmue

DOS:
LOOM
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

GBA:
Final Fantasy VI -- but I've beaten the oiriginal on SNES
Pokémon LeafGreen -- but I've beaten the original Red/Blue for GB

Game Boy/Color:
Metroid II: Return of Samus -- maybe? I don't think most people have played this
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins -- never beat that last castle.
Tetris -- is this considered beatable?

GameCube:
Resident Evil 0

Genesis:
Lemmings
Theme Park

N64:
Pokémon Stadium -- not sure what's considered "beaten" here anyway
Pokémon Stadium 2 -- same

NES:
The Legend of Zelda -- okay yeah, this one's a must.
Tecmo Bowl -- maybe?
Ultima III: Exodus


PS2:
Resident Evil Code: Veronica

Wii:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl


I think any of the above are good options. My personal pick of 10 would be:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Ultima IV
3. Shenmue (plus I'm gonna play this so we can compare notes!)
4. Monkey Island 2 (prfsnl_gmr was gonna play this, so more comparing notes!)
5. Mario Land 2
6. Metroid II
7. Lemmings
8. Chu Chu Rocket
9. One of the Resident Evils you listed
10. Tecmo Bowl

That covers a lot of classics and a good variety of genres and consoles. It's also generally pretty short too, so nice and achievable!



For what it's worth, both Pokémon Stadium games have endings if you beat all the cups/gym leaders castle. It unlocks a harder difficulty afterwards.
Image
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19370
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 pm

@Keyish

Lemmings is one of my favorite games of all time, but be forewarned:
1. It's probably longer than you realize.
2. It's much much better on a computer (Amiga / PC / Mac / etc) than a console. Does the Genesis port at least have mouse support? Playing the game involves moving a cursor so it's more than a tad awkward with a controller. You can find a DOS version of the game for about $5 shipped - something to ponder.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10699
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:02 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Right now, I am playing through Kid Icarus, which seems to borrow a bit from Metroid. It starts out incredibly frustrating, but now that I am into it, I love it. I will probably beat it soon, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a game for the Summer Gaming Challenge.


I actually considering including this one, but I don't want to include a game that I don't own yet.

Maybe if I snag a copy in the coming months I'll swap out my "troll pick" of Hydlide II.


Get the FDS version. The 3D Classics version is based off of it, and the game is do much better without passwords.
User avatar
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:20 pm
Location: Wash-a-ton

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by laurenhiya21 Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:31 am

Hmm, really having a difficult time narrowing down what I want to play for this year (or if I even want to do it at all I guess).

I can't think of too many games that I have that are classics... I would be ok with emulating stuff but that doesn't exactly narrow it down at all :lol: There's just so many classics that I haven't tried yet haha.

The only games that I'm pretty sure I want to try are:
- Super Mario World
- The Ultimate Doom (this is a classic right?)

I'll have to try and figure out what else I'll want to play for this... Not going to start till June though so I guess I have a while to figure it out ha.
Image
User avatar
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

by Key-Glyph Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 am

Thanks for the opinions, everyone!

Loved the Tecmo Bowl conversation. I've really wanted to play that one for real, but I wasn't sure it qualified as a classic as much as other games. Same with Metroid II; I'm really into the idea of playing it, but I thought maybe it was a somewhat dismissed installment within the series.

A lot of these games are ones I started but never finished. I think I stopped playing Shenmue basically right before the end. LOOM as well. Lemmings too; I can get pretty far, but as Bone is alluding, things get crazy without a mouse.

I would have bought a Mega Mouse for the challenge, but the internet is telling me it's not compatible with the original Lemmings. Whatever. I can do this.

Edit: To everyone considering playing the original Metroid, it is a must. I played it last summer and it is probably my favorite NES game of all time. For reals.
Image
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kittysoman2013 and 12 guests