Summer Games Challenge 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:The only games that I'm pretty sure I want to try are:
- Super Mario World

As far as 2D Mario games go, this is my second favorite (after SMB2). It's a platforming masterpiece and deserves your time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Sarge wrote:I actually did beat it with every team. I was insane when it came to that game. That Patriots run were brutal... but I think the Colts might even be worse. At least the Pats had a couple of decent receivers, and you could swap quarterbacks based on who was in the best condition. And the Colts defense is just awful. Awful. Hey, it's almost like when Peyton played there!

Can you believe I never knew about the nose tackle trick, though? Man, I could have made things so much easier. As it was, I'd just use a fast linebacker and squeeze through the gaps in the line. I could get to the QB fast, and was usually in a position to sniff out the other plays if I called the wrong defense.

Congratulations! I have a friend who would only play as the Bills and he would just destroy everybody. I then showed him the Patriots and their Quarterback with his floating passes and he was just amazed at how awful they truly were. He then tried it himself and he just couldn't take it longer after like the 10th Week.

I actually learned the Nose Tackle trick before the Internet. I also own the Genesis version, which is a bit slower and easier. In the NES version, I used to do the Blitzing Linebacker Rush. In the Genesis version, you can EASILY do the Nose Tackle trick. In that game, you can easily score over 100 points if you try hard enough.
Ack

Post by Ack »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Hmm, really having a difficult time narrowing down what I want to play for this year (or if I even want to do it at all I guess).

I can't think of too many games that I have that are classics... I would be ok with emulating stuff but that doesn't exactly narrow it down at all :lol: There's just so many classics that I haven't tried yet haha.

The only games that I'm pretty sure I want to try are:
- Super Mario World
- The Ultimate Doom (this is a classic right?)

I'll have to try and figure out what else I'll want to play for this... Not going to start till June though so I guess I have a while to figure it out ha.

If you're OK with emulation, why not just name a few genres you are interested in exploring and see what suggestions you get for classics?

And yes, DOOM counts. Ultimate DOOM includes the fourth episode, which is effectively an expansion. You should aim to at least beat the first three episodes. Just remember: if it's huge, that means it has huge guts!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yep, DOOM is definitely up there. I actually beat that last year, and I finally finished DOOM 2 this year. I liked the first game better, the second has too many "gotcha" moments for my tastes... although I really started sniffing them out at the end.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

1. Dragon Quest 5 - DS
2. Paper Mario - N64
3. Outlaws: Handful of Missions - PC
4. Wing Commander 1,2, or 3 - PC
5. Witcher 1 - PC - Ok so I started it a couple years ago, I will beat it this summer though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

fastbilly1 wrote:4. Wing Commander 1,2, or 3 - PC

I'm planning to play 3 on 3DO. We could compare notes!

:mrgreen:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I vaguely remember the box art for Outlaws. Is that really considered a classic? (If it is, pardon my ignorance!)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I still probably won't make a list. But for the sake of conversation: What are some short classics that folks might consider? Like, I'd recommend Ys to anyone who hasn't played it. And it's one of the shortest RPG's I've played through.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Sarge wrote:I vaguely remember the box art for Outlaws. Is that really considered a classic? (If it is, pardon my ignorance!)

It may not be a classic by many, since most people dont know the name, but it redefined how to tell a story in a FPS and has his legacy deep in the core of the genre.

alienjesus wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:4. Wing Commander 1,2, or 3 - PC

I'm planning to play 3 on 3DO. We could compare notes!

:mrgreen:

Tempting.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Key-Glyph wrote:Edit: To everyone considering playing the original Metroid, it is a must. I played it last summer and it is probably my favorite NES game of all time. For reals.

Have you beaten Kid Icarus? It was created by some of Nintendo's legendary designers, including Yoshio Sakamoto and Gunpei Yokoi...who started contributing to the game's development immediately after completing Metroid. While they are very different games, Kid Icarus and Metroid share composers, designers, developers, and directors; they run on the same engine; and they came out the same year. Accordingly, I think that descriptions of Kid Icarus and Metroid as "brother and sister" games is completely accurate.

Also, Kid Icarus is a lot of challenging, old-fashioned fun, and I think you would enjoy it.

Finally...