Summer Games Challenge 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Which of these should stay on? Which ones should come off? Help me pick!

Okay...

1. Adventure - Broken Sword (iOS), Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father (iOS), or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition (360)
-Definitely the underlined. Broken Sword is merely OK. Gabriel Knight is decent but takes a long time to get going IMO. LeChuck's Revenge starts good and stays good.

2. ARPG - Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC)
-SD3 is decent, but I recommend Front Mission: Gun Hazard over this.

3. Beat 'em Up - Guardian Heroes HD (360)
-No opinion.

4. FPS - Perfect Dark HD (360)
-Is this really a 360 classic FPS? I'd think BioShock or CoD4 would be more fitting, if you haven't beaten those yet.

5. JRPG - The 7th Saga (SNES) or Phantasy Star IV (GEN)
-If you've never played Phantasy Star IV, ignore everything else on this list and play it immediately.

6. Platformer - Banjo Kazooie HD (360)
-No opinion. But I do not care for Banjo Kazooie on principle.

7. Racing - Mario Kart 64 (N64) or Virtua Racing (PS2)
-Mario Kart 64. I love that game.

8. Rail Shooter - 3D After Burner II (3DS) and/or 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
-Out of those two, Space Harrier is the best.

9. Run 'n Gun - Ikari Warriors (PS3)
-No opinion.

10. Shmup - Radiant Silvergun (360) or Raystorm (SATURN)
-Radiant Silvergun of course.

and if there is time (or if the mood strikes me), I wouldn't mind finally getting through a...

11. Bonus Game that Defies Classification! - Legacy of the Wizard (NES)
-It's an action-RPG. It's okay. There are better action-RPGs on the NES that are considered classic though. Like maybe Faxanadu or Chronicles of Radia War for instance.

Ack wrote:These are the games I'm considering putting into the selection pool for now:

Ack... I will post the games from your pool that I think are worth playing and why.

Alone in the Dark
-If you mean the original PC version, not the remake/reboot, then yes please do. The original Alone in the Dark is definitely a classic and the most Lovecraftian game I've ever played.

Bioshock
-I've not played it, but everyone seems to love it.

Castlevania
-If you mean the NES original, than by all means please do. It is a legit classic and is still fun to this day.

Dragon Warrior
-I only recommend this via the GBC version. The GBC version is well balanced and I had a lot of fun with it. Only took about 15 hours to beat too.

Super Punch-Out
-I freaking love this game and prefer it to the NES original. It's pretty tough to beat too, I've only cleared the last boss once. I fully recommend this game to everyone.

System Shock
-A true classic, absolutely phenomenal game. My favorite sci-fi game ever. Once you get passed the weird interface, it actually starts to grow on you, and you'll eventually understand why the developers used such a strange HUD. I love System Shock 2, but I love System Shock 1 even more.

Thief Gold
-And while we're heaping praise, I cannot praise this game enough. I've said it many times before, but the original Thief is my all time favorite game ever. It's incredibly immersive, insanely scary (at times), has a deep involved plot, fantastic gameplay... I could go and on. Best game I've ever played. Don't know what else I can say to sell it beyond that. The Gold version via GOG is the way to go.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
-If you're talking about the PC original, I wouldn't recommend this game to most people. It's very hardcore and unforgiving. But when we're talking about Ack, I know he's got the military mindset to utilize the proper tactics and techniques to succeed. So in that regard, I fully recommend the original Ghost Recon to you. And unlike Advanced Warfighter, you can actually save in mission!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Here's the list I've been pondering:

1. Super Aleste - Shmup (SNES) - This is the 4th(?) year running this will be on the list. I've not even started it on all the other years. It's a priority this time

2. Shenmue - Open world adventure(?) (DC) - Another one from last year's list I didn't get to start.

3. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu To Hikari No Ken - SRPG (Famicom) - The last of last year's leftovers. I'm a big fan of the series and have about 10 of them I need to beat, so might aswell start from the beginning right?

4. Final Fantasy III - RPG (SNES) - It's been an annual tradition to beat a Final Fantasy game for this list for me each year. Here's one of the best regarded ones and one of the final few of the main series I need to beat.

5. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger - Flight Sim (3DO) - So, slightly debateable here, but a big name in the space combat sim world, and one of the defining games for the 3DO. I got a flightstick for my 3DO recently I can test out, and this is my longest owned game that I've never finished, so time to get to it.

6. Gargoyle's Quest - Action Adventure (GB) - Pretty well regarded game for the system, and with a fairly short length to make up for some of the longer games on the list.

7. Mario Golf - Sports (N64) - A classic in the genre, and I didn't have much time to play it in Together Retro last year, so I thought I could finish it in the summer.

8. Shinobi - Action platformer (SMS) - Nice and short, start of a classic series, popular arcade game, defining early game for the console. Easy choice.

9. Samurai Shodown - Fighting (3DO) - Seems like a pretty popular and defining fighting series. 3DO because that's the version I have. More short games!

10. Sega Rally Championship - Racing (Saturn) - Defining game for the system, the arcade racing genre and a big hit in home and arcade. I suck at it though, so this will be a tough one! As a genre, this type of racer is a little outside of my comfort zone, which I liek to try and do with at least one game on this list each year.

It's not really a classic, but I might join the Professional on some Legacy of the Wizard too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm guessing that's the HD version of the N64 Perfect Dark. That one is an absolute classic, and that's how I'd recommend playing the game, too, just to get good controls.

I love the suggestion of Gun Hazard. Was it a massive success in its home territory, though? That's the only thing I could think of that might keep it off the list, but when I played it a few years ago, it was one of the absolute best SNES experiences I've ever had.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Maybe I'll join up for Guardian Heroes and Fire Emblem this summer. Also looking at some second gen stuff. Is Mr. Do!'s Castle notable enough?

@prfsnl_gmr
Seiken Densetsu 3, Phantasy Star IV, and The 7th Saga are all fantastic. I actually feel oddly jealous of the fact that you haven't played those, as I'd like to (re-)experience them for first time.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:I'm guessing that's the HD version of the N64 Perfect Dark. That one is an absolute classic, and that's how I'd recommend playing the game, too, just to get good controls.

That's right. I will be playing the original Perfect Dark...but in HD and with modern FPS controls.

Well, I jumped the gun on the rail shooters; so, I am in search of another category. 2D platformers? Single-screen arcade games? Sports games? Thoughts?

Here is how my list stands now based on the forum's recommendations (and my second thoughts):

1. Adventure - Broken Sword (iOS) or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition (360)
2. ARPG - Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC) or Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
3. Beat 'em Up - Guardian Heroes HD (360)
4. FPS - Perfect Dark HD (360)
5. JRPG - Phantasy Star IV (GEN)
6. Platformer - Banjo Kazooie HD (360)
7. Racing - Mario Kart 64 (N64) or Virtua Racing (PS2)
8. Rail Shooter - 3D After Burner II (3DS) and/or 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
9. Run 'n Gun - Ikari Warriors (PS3)
10. Shmup - Radiant Silvergun (360) or Raystorm (SATURN)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes, I'd chose FFA over SD3, if only because I like to play game series in order.

I'll begrudgingly admit that PSIV is more of a "classic" than 7th Saga, even if I find the latter to be the better game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yes, I'd chose FFA over SD3, if only because I like to play game series in order.

I'll begrudgingly admit that PSIV is more of a "classic" than 7th Saga, even if I find the latter to be the better game.

Thanks, Bone. Its shorter too; so, it will leave me with more time to get through everything else. My nice, shiny copy of Seiken Densetsu 3 (that arrived in the mail only yesterday) will just have to wait...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Final Fantasy Adventure, yes!

Do a sports game. Everyone sleeps on sports games.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:broken-record talk: Every year ya boy says he's not going to do a Summer Gaming list, then gets sucked into the fun of talking about lists, then makes a list, then bails on it after one or two titles are crossed off.

Oooooh can I do this too? Here we go! My list:

Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System) - Some game about scary vampires.
Wonder Boy (Sega Master System) - Naked kid jumps over rocks.
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi (Famicom) - Predates Nintendo SJW censorship.
Guardian Heroes (Saturn) - Supposedly the pinnacle of beat 'em up / RPG hybrids. "Even better than the D&D games!" - noiseredux
Zaxxon (various platforms) - Only kind of 3D graphics I can handle.
Hydlide II: Shine of Darkness (MSX) - Second entry in the critically-acclaimed series.
Ninja Gaiden (NES) - Destroying me since 1990.
Super C (NES) - See above.
OutRun (various platforms) - I was OutRan last summer.
Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System) - Feels vaguely familiar...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ooh, I just had a game come to mind that I should finish: Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap.

I may keep a rolling list, and I might not list ten whole games, but this seems like a good place to start.