Summer Games Challenge 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2016

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I recommend SonSon as well. It's on several Capcom comps from what I recall.

Psycho Soldier, the sequel to Athena, is another decent game done in a similar fashion. Not exactly a "classic" though.

I have to say - the lists are pretty good this year. I don't see people trying to shoehorn in 2008 PS3 games they were planning on playing anyway. But where is the second gen love???? :wink:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I might play Castlevania Lords Of Shadow.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Don't you still need to beat the first game?

Join me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Don't you still need to beat the first game?

Technically, yes. Technically. Cuz I have beaten Castlevania Chronicles, which is that x68000 remake. But if I were to do a list - which I'm still probably not - Castlevania would not be on it as I've played that game plentyyy and I usually like to go with titles I've never played or at least have not played much of.
flash1987
24-bit

Post by flash1987 »

Been reading the thread a while and I'm 100% sure I'm not going to get through 10 games in the summer but I've been working on the list of games I will play some of.

Mario Bros 2 - never finished it and love the strange style of it.

Resident Evil 2 - I played it maybe 15 years ago and didn't love it as much as 1, 4 or Code Veronica but the RE thread seems to see it as many peoples favs.

Guardian Heroes - I've been playing a lot of beat em ups recently and never played this. The only issue may be emulating it, not sure how good Saturn emulation is. I was going to choose The Bouncer but it doesn't really qualify as a classic I guess.

God of War - When beat em ups died 3D hack and Slash seemed to take over and apart from Devil May Cry I don't think I ever played any of them.

Panzer Dragoon - never finished as a kid. Again how good is Saturn emulation to play this...

Looking for suggestions for:

An RPG - Preferably something short. I did start playing Lagrange Point but again I don't think this qualifies as a classic as it never even got a western release.

A FPS - Something older as I'm really not a huge fan of the modern style shooters. I see some people playing Ultimate Doom, definitely a possibility.

A sports title - I'm European so a lot of the American sports games have little interest to me. Although I have fond memories of NBA Jam on SNES. Otherwise its going to be a soccer or golf game. Tempting to go back and play one of the classic Championship Manager games but it would take my entire life and be of no interest to any of you... I find it odd that there seems to be no US equivalent of Football/Championship Manager series.

An Adventure game - Has to be funny. I find things like Myst and broken sword tedious. I've played most of the Lucas Arts, Discworld and Simon the Sorcerer games.

1 more. - open to suggestions. Maybe another platformer, a run n gun or something that doesn't fit a genre.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

flash1987 wrote:Been reading the thread a while and I'm 100% sure I'm not going to get through 10 games in the summer but I've been working on the list of games I will play some of.

Looking for suggestions for:

An RPG - Preferably something short. I did start playing Lagrange Point but again I don't think this qualifies as a classic as it never even got a western release.

A FPS - Something older as I'm really not a huge fan of the modern style shooters. I see some people playing Ultimate Doom, definitely a possibility.

A sports title - I'm European so a lot of the American sports games have little interest to me. Although I have fond memories of NBA Jam on SNES. Otherwise its going to be a soccer or golf game. Tempting to go back and play one of the classic Championship Manager games but it would take my entire life and be of no interest to any of you... I find it odd that there seems to be no US equivalent of Football/Championship Manager series.

An Adventure game - Has to be funny. I find things like Myst and broken sword tedious. I've played most of the Lucas Arts, Discworld and Simon the Sorcerer games.

1 more. - open to suggestions. Maybe another platformer, a run n gun or something that doesn't fit a genre.

I dunno what to recommend for most, but if you want one of the most iconic football (and I mean real football, I'm British) games of the 1990s, before FIFA killed the others off, then you really want Sensible Soccer. It's really fun even if like me you don't normally like sports games. The Amiga version should be easy to emulate.

After that the most iconic football game would probably be International Superstar Soccer for the N64 I'd say.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

First of all, I resent Ack's forcing my hand so early this year. I don't give a flying fuck when those heathens in Iceland have their Summer, this is 'merica and there's no reason to even start thinking about Summer until after Memorial Day: think of those who died serving our country, THEN think of hot dogs, pools, baseball, thongs, and the Summer Challenge. Besides, last week up here in real 'merica, where we have four distinct seasons, we still had snow! You can't trust a southerner to know shit about when summer begins and ends as God keeps them festering in a perpetual year round hell on earth to recompense them for losing the Civil War.

Anyway, as is the case every year, this thread is once again full of immense bravado, shortsightedness, ignorance, and general foolishness. I am here to once again set the record straight and try and correct your mistakes for you. By calling out your bad choices, placing them on my wall of shame, and forcing you to reconsider your sad, pathetic lives, I am doing you an immense favor, trust me.

So, without further adieu, here's the first round of candidates for...

WALL OF SHAME: Existing picks you morans made that can't/shouldn't reasonably be considered classics:

-Raystorm - a fun shmup for sure, but not a classic. Radiant Silvergun is a much better choice and noise's apparent hatred of Treausre is not a reason to pick this also-ran mid-90s shmup.
-The Seventh Saga - I actually let Ack get away with this one a couple of years ago, and he has now confirmed what I suspected: it is a waste of goddamn time and not deserving a spot on your list over faaaar better games. The game is a C+/B- game at best, so give it a pass.
-Legacy of the Wizard - you do realize that Itold you several years ago to knock this shit off, right prfsnl_gmr? The game doesn't defy classification; it can be classified as "not a classic"
-Little Big Adventure - hey! The first candidate to reproduce the yearly sin of someone listing something that is "old and obscure" and, therefore, "A CLASS1K!!" Nope. This one has no business here.
-Magic Carpet - I once considered this one myself a few years ago, then I stopped huffing glue. I think this is a classic example of selecting a game that was well regarded at the time but has had virtually no legacy since.
-NHL '96 - This is an easy fix, as I know you just wrote "6" instead of "4"
-Sanitarium, Crusader: No Remorse, and Ghost Recon - putting these on your list makes me want to punch you in the face because I know why they are here, and can even sympathize with the arguments, but fuck it: they aren't regarded as classics. Has your mom heard of any of these? Have my 18 year old students heard of any of these? Have most people outside of a retro forum heard of them? Have most people ON a retro forum heard of them? If the answer to two or more of those questions is no, drop it from your list as you don't need them: you have better choices.
-Gargoyle's Quest - a strong cult following doesn't make this a classic, even if the series it is associated with has some classic titles. Great game, but no business on a Summer Challenge List.
-Hydlide II - While I am sure this is considered a classic amongst masochistic assholes, I'd like to think that we aren't a group of those. Perhaps you should find a different forum to engage in your strange summer proclivities?
-Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic - Just play Super Mario Bros. 2 and don't be such a fucking hipster.
-Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap - A decent game in a middling and forgettable series. Not a classic.
-Kirby's Pinball - see "Gargoyle's Quest" above
-Adventures of Lolo - No no.
-Vectorman - this one is super-marginal, as it is certainly a classic of the Genesis library but had virtually no staying power as a franchise people cited, cared about, etc. after about 1996. I'd say there are better choices to be made on the Genesis.
-Outlaws: Handful of Missions - See "Magic Carpet" above.
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - This is the post that poked the bear in me and forced me out of hibernation. Not only is the game not even 6 years old, but it is widely regarded as a tremendous abandonment of much of what people loved about the Castlevania series prior. Even if it ages well, at this point a classic it is not. It may look nice, but it basically rips off far better games that I don't think you've played (e.g. Devil May Cry and God of War), and you should play those instead.

I'll leave it to y'all to fix these ASAP (I see some have been tentatively scuttled). Perhaps it is ultimately a good thing you are making your mistakes a full two-plus months before summer actually starts, as the errors in judgement are unconscionable and some of you have a lot of fixing to do before you have decent lists. You will need the extra time, clearly.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Y'know what, I'm not even going to argue the point on Gargoyle's Quest, because I'm too busy arguing the point on Wonder Boy III.

Its widely regarded as one of the best Master System games of all time now, and it recieved incredibly positive reception even back then.

Stating that the series is less well known or less popular for being on the Master System is a super American-centric view too. Not only was the Master System super-relevant over here in Blighty, the Wonder Boy series itself was both well known and ported to various home computers - which were in themselves even more popular than the Master System was!

I'd argue it was way more impactful and way better thought of than the likes of Zillion, which I seem to recall you yourself having on your summer list a few years back. Wonder Boy III is considered one of the best game in it's genre and on its platform. Zillion is a pretty iffy Impossible Mission clone.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:Y'know what, I'm not even going to argue the point on Gargoyle's Quest, because I'm too busy arguing the point on Wonder Boy III.

Its widely regarded as one of the best Master System games of all time now, and it recieved incredibly positive reception even back then.

Stating that the series is less well known or less popular for being on the Master System is a super American-centric view too. Not only was the Master System super-relevant over here in Blighty, the Wonder Boy series itself was both well known and ported to various home computers - which were in themselves even more popular than the Master System was!

I'd argue it was way more impactful and way better thought of than the likes of Zillion, which I seem to recall you yourself having on your summer list a few years back. Wonder Boy III is considered one of the best game in it's genre and on its platform. Zillion is a pretty iffy Impossible Mission clone.

I have a Ph.D. Your valid reasoning and careful arguments are irrelevant.

(dejectedly leaves to go play Zillion)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:I have a Ph.D. Your valid reasoning and careful arguments are irrelevant.

(dejectedly leaves to go play Zillion)

This seems unlikely as I seem to remember you not liking it too :lol:

I'll have a think about Gargoyle's Quest. It is probably the iffiest one on my list, I just need to figure if there is a more appropriate game that is under a bajillion hours I can add to my list from my backlog - most of my unbeaten classics nowadays are RPGs :lol: