Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Sarge Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:56 pm

I loved Neon, even if it wasn't really "Double Dragon". I even went through on all three difficulty levels. It really comes into its own a second run, and the last one really forces you to learn the mechanics.

On the other hand, Double Dragon 4... kinda looks terrible. I'm not expecting much at all out of this one.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:55 pm

noiseredux wrote:I want to find the Amiga CD Battletoads.

Some on craigslist locally had that for sale, but was asking way too much.

I'm trying to track down The Lost Vikings on CD32.
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:08 pm

Maybe this makes me a horrible human being, but it seems to me that the arcade Double Dragon games do not seem to deserve the reputation they have. Between the slowdown and the decline in overall quality, I'm just glad they got the attention they did on home consoles.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Not as expensive as I expected tbh
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 pm

marurun wrote:Maybe this makes me a horrible human being, but it seems to me that the arcade Double Dragon games do not seem to deserve the reputation they have. Between the slowdown and the decline in overall quality, I'm just glad they got the attention they did on home consoles.

It's really the first game that really made its reputation, and it was an absolute pioneer of the genre. That's why it has its reputation. There really wasn't anything close to that caliber at the time. And I still think it's a great game, slowdown and all.

The NES and SNES ended up with the best entries, though. I thought the NES port of the original was good, even if it didn't have co-op. The SMS version did have co-op, but played like garbage. Double Dragon II on NES might be the best in the series, and the NES version of the third game is, to my knowledge, the only version of that game developed in-house at Technos.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Not as expensive as I expected tbh

Now look up a NTSC system mwahahahahahahahahahaha.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Whenever Battletoads is thrown out like that again I always want to remind everyone of how badass and violent the arcade game is. It's the easiest one too for the most part, but yeah. It's the true form of M rated Ninja Turtles.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:31 am

Battletoads Amiga is still up there though.

DD Neon is pretty meh in my book.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:55 am

132. The Shadow Sun | Android | 2014 | 7/10

ImageImage

The Shadow Sun's a pretty good action-WRPG for Android. Create your own character and explore the world of Shar, taking on the main campaign or a few sidequests. You're aided by a computer AI of your choosing, as well as a trusty dog. Above average graphics, a plot that's at least comprehensible, and a moderately entertaining battle system keep things interesting. If you enjoy seeking out ever better loot, there's a fair amount of that to do. A lot of work went into the character leveling system, plenty of customization there to create a warrior of your own design. All the same, The Shadow Sun only took me six hours to beat, but that was worth the $0.99 I spent on it. The Shadow Sun is not overtly amazing, but considering the limited choices of its ilk for its platform, this one's worth checking out for genre fans.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wsun&hl=en
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:59 am

DD Neon felt clunky to me, and I tried with both a pad and stick. Just couldn't click with it. Great soundtrack and art though.

In my experience, Double Dragon (and its various incarnations) is best experienced in the home ports. The arcade ones don't compare very favorably.

And DD2 NES is some of the best co-op fun you can have. The control scheme sounds weird at first, but it takes no time at all to adapt.
Return to General Gaming