Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Exhuminator Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 pm

MrPopo wrote:After Etrian Odyssey, Kazuya Niinou left Atlus and joined Imageepoch. 7th Dragon is the result of it.

I know you're not saying it, but because it could be misconstrued by other readers; Kazuya Niinou only worked on the first 7th Dragon. The sequels were made without his involvement.

Are you still playing Word of Final Fantasy?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Sarge wrote:That also extends to the soundtrack. It doesn't use the usual retro-styled chiptune music, it uses orchestral tracks that are excellent, although I have to admit that I don't really have any of them stuck in my head. But it is quality stuff in a filmic way.

Ah, kind of a bummer. It could be my nostalgia ears (?), but I think this is one thing that makes me want to say why Shovel Knight edges out Axiom Verge in my book. Axiom Verge went for a denser techno sound with its style of music, something that was pretty awesome and quite fitting, but it doesn't sound like anything you'd hear possible on the 16bit systems. Shovel Knight on the other hand went full chiptune and old school. Although I know it uses more channels than the old consoles, they really went for that old flavor and certainly invoked it, which totally boosted my love for it.

All that said I don't give a freebie pass to "chiptunes" for being chiptunes either. Something like Fez's soundtrack didn't sit well with me (I hate everything about the game haha). So yeah, I don't know. It's a delicate field. I should probably not compare anything to Shovel Knight though, it's just unfair. I hope the sequel is the same caliber!

Thanks for all the pics. Owlboy looks gorgeous at least.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Actually, the Shovel Knight chiptunes are legit NES with Konami's VRC6 expansion chip. You can even download the entire soundtrack in its legit NES form. It's actually bigger than the entirety of Kirby's Adventure! Jake Kaufman really knows his way around the NES sound chip. :)

I also recommend listening to his Bloodrayne Betrayal soundtrack. The base stuff is good, but he also did it in VRC6 style, and it's awesome.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Are you serious??? I sure hope that composer is returning for the sequel. Well that seals the deal and explains why I think the music is perfection then. A bit amusing they go with a Konami chip when the game and style leans a bit more Capcom. Fusion of the Gods.

Randomly listening to it again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0IxUMu036k

And I'm like

PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:31 pm

From a gamasutra article:
"We finalized the audio using mastering tools (EQ and compression) to give it some extra punch on today’s sound equipment, but avoided using reverb effects or stereo mixing, which would destroy the raw character of the sounds. Any echoes or special effects you hear are programmed note-by-note, the way they were on the NES."

Still very impressive though! I didn't notice the mastering personally.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:43 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:After Etrian Odyssey, Kazuya Niinou left Atlus and joined Imageepoch. 7th Dragon is the result of it.

I know you're not saying it, but because it could be misconstrued by other readers; Kazuya Niinou only worked on the first 7th Dragon. The sequels were made without his involvement.

Are you still playing Word of Final Fantasy?

I am. My PS4 is back in the States so I've been doing nonstop 3DS. In World of Final Fantasy I just did the chapter where you can get Magitek armor. The visual in the prerelease footage of the chibi characters on the chibi Magitek armor is what sold me on the game, and so far I am not disappointed.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:55 am

I didn't either, but I know he's doing crazy stuff in there if the NSF is 602 KB. I mean, that's just ridiculous.

That VRC6 chip is pretty wonderful. It's not as weird as the VRC7 (just hearing FM synth on NES is nuts), but having a couple of extra square waves and a sawtooth is pretty handy from a composition standpoint. I assume you've listening to the Japanese Castlevania III soundtrack. It's seriously good stuff.

I didn't notice the mastering, either, but nothing wrong with that. I'm all in favor of a little extra kick. :)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 am

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
2. DOAX3 Fortune Edition (PS4)
3. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
4. DOOM (2016) (PC)
5. Halo 5 (Xbox One)
6. Dark Souls (PC)
7. Call of Duty (PC)
8. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC)
9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
10. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
11. Bloodborne (PS4)
12. SOMA (PC)
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)
14. Dark Souls III (PS4)
15. Lords of the Fallen (PC)
16. Demon's Souls (PS3)
17. Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss (PC)
18. Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel (PC)
19. Dishonored (PC) (replay)
19a. Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall
19b. Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
20. Dishonored 2 (PC)
21. Aliens: Infestation (DS)
22. Dark Souls II: SoTFS (PC) (replay)
23. Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4)

Hm, more Soulsborne :lol: I really have been playing other things, just not beating them.

DS2: SoTFS - Unlike the other Souls games, my replay for this can't be listed as the DLC, since SoTFS includes all of it and I played it the first go-round. I did go with a melee build this time, and took down every boss without summons. Melee felt significantly easier, but it might also be a matter of experience.

The Old Hunters, however, was also a replay of Bloodborne. Or, rather, is, since I haven't rolled the credits yet on the main game because I'm working on getting the platinum for it (I don't think I've gotten one before...and the only one I've really worked towards is Huniepop. Don't judge.)....but might wind up taking a break from that due to not really being that excited with Chalice Dungeons (need the unique weapon and boss trophies from that, and to get the two lesser endings, done otherwise).

Similar to Dark Souls, starting a new character was the only way to play the DLC at New Game level. I hadn't originally planned to get The Old Hunters, but then Sony ran all kinds of sales and I wound up buying it for $8 instead of the normal $20 (or yet more if I felt like importing the physical GoTY edition that rolls it in, that SCEA won't release :evil: ).

Like, well, basically all of the Dark Souls DLC does for those games, The Old Hunters condenses the best of Bloodborne into a few thematically distinct areas and bosses, several of which are both highlights for the game as a whole, and easily the most difficult outside of chalice dungeons. Where very little in the base game slowed me down this time through, Orphan of Kos (particularly) took hours of playtime for many attempts, drove me to spend yet more time to level up further, and probably ultimately improved my (mediocre) Bloodborne skills in the end. I was so thrilled to actually beat him that I had the PS4 save the video, which I've never done before (on purpose :roll: ).
That said, Fromsoft wisely didn't put in long runs back to those bosses, which made the repeated attempts a lot less annoying (especially coming off of revisiting the Frozen Outskirts in SoTFS, which is basically hate in video game form).

Anyway, highly recommended if you like Bloodborne, just probably don't attempt it as soon as the game will let you unless you're particularly skilled.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Yeah so dude, I went into The Old Hunters on my NG+++ character after getting the Platinum when the game launched. Let me tell you... that was basically a recipe for sheer insane punishment that made me wanna cry. I was stuck on Laurence for about a year literally, I just gave up but it always bugged me because I wanted to get the DLC trophies for that 100% again. I finally destroyed him after going back to it this year actually, after Dark Souls 3.

Basically throughout all of Old Hunters, everything killed me in like two hits. I saved some boss fights if you'd be interested in watching haha:

Bloodborne - NG+++ LV 175 - vs Ludwig The Accursed - took me like a week or two, had to be pixel perfect lmfao. That visceral kill!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2X3KwbcJc

Bloodborne - NG+++ LV 180 - vs Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower - loved this DMC fight. Was real sloppy in the first half of this run, but hey... I won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI2toOUHgos

Bloodborne - NG+++ LV 187 - vs Orphan of Kos - Kos was crazy, but I had a harder time with Ludwig and Laurence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKG2f1rpFNA

Bloodborne - NG+++ LVL 189 - Laurence, the First Vicar - RAGE. I cringe at how easy this fight looks on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjRwZ-2fBQ

Chalice Ebrietas is also insanely hard. This fight is pure comedy, I almost die like 5 times. Luck was finally on my side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoPKivzfUWw

I think I will continue this madness and jump into Dark Souls 3's DLC with my platinum character as well, so also NG+++ something.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 pm

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Wii U - January 3
2. Fallout 4 - Xbox One - January 20
3. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 3 - January 29
4. Yakuza: Dead Souls - PlayStation 3 - February 5
5. Yakuza 5 - PlayStation 3 - February 27
6. The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - February 29
7. Yoshi's Wooly World - Nintendo Wii U - March 2
8. Bayonetta - Nintendo Wii U - March 6
9. Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U - March 20
10. Pokémon Yellow - Nintendo 3DS VC - April 2
11. Wolf Among Us - Xbox One - April 11
12. Chrono Trigger - Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - October 18
13. Doom (4) - Xbox One - November 19
14. Torchlight 2 - PC - December 1
15. Final Fantasy IX - PS1 - December 7
16. The Last Guardian - PS4 - December 12

Finished this late last night and now I only want to go back and play through again. I had no idea you could pull the heads off the armor, which I was delighted to find out really late in the game. Ueda really had his work cut out for him, from the critical acclaim of his studio's first two games, it's no surprise there was a ton of expectations. The game does have its issues, but I'm willing to look past the controls and camera angles that can feel clunky and sometimes unresponsive, because this game was touching and beautiful.

I really feel like The Last Guardian gave something new to Video Games as a medium. I felt that same way about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I felt really immersed in Trico's companionship. He was believable, lovable, and really endearing. He's quite cute to boot. Throwing barrels at him, where he will catch them in his mouth, or by accident strike him the face (letting out a whimper) are brushstrokes of brilliance that bring him to life. He'll get worked up after tense scenes, and you have to calm him. His entire story was one that I felt privileged to be along for the ride. People will say they'd rather be in control of someone like Ico or Wander, but I actually enjoyed being in Trico's domain, he really called a lot of the shots and I was there to help him with the puzzles and open gates, dismantle things that scared or angered him, and of course, feed him. It was fitting.

I'm glad I didn't get sucked into the hype. It's a blessing that the game came out in the first place, and letting my expectations get up there would only be a disappointment. I remember Shadow of the Colossus being similar into how it controlled, getting dropped off one of the Colossi was usually attributed to my own input rather than it being the game's fault.

The art direction of the game was really Arthouse-esque, the soundtrack (an amazing one at that) provided the right mood in exactly the right moments. It's got its challenges with controls and camera, but good lord does this game have a lot of vibrancy and character. It is up there, and I'm satisfied that it's the first game I've beaten on my PS4. If you love large fluffball-mythical creatures and a fairly linear world to explore, I think you'll like The Last Guardian.

8.5/10
Return to General Gaming