BEST
RPG
SERIES
EVAR
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 am

Is the PSP release of Oath in Felghana inferior?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

It's not bad at all. The (comparatively) small PSP screen does get a little cramped at times. If you have it on PC I'd go with that instead. Or play both. 8)

The Ark of Napishtim, on the other hand, AVOID the PSP port.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 am

I'll probably go with PSP for Oath of Felghana, then, given my love of collecting retail releases. :P

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 am

Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Is the PSP release of Oath in Felghana inferior?

You lose the graphical fidelity of the PC version, meaning what you could have at 1920x1080, you now have at 480x272. If you don't mind the loss of detail, everything else is solid with that port.

Bone took the words right outta my fingers; whatever you do, don't play Ark of Napishtim on PSP.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'll probably go with PSP for Oath of Felghana, then, given my love of collecting retail releases. :P

If it's the want of a retail release that drives you, get this:

That's the original Japanese PC release. You can still play it via English:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1481/

That's how I originally beat The Oath in Felghana, via the Japanese PC version with the English fan patch. I had a great time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:35 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?

The Famicom Ys games were handled by Advance Communication Company and published by Victor.

Ys I on Famicom is AWFUL. It's completely broken down, insanely difficult, borderline unplayable. If you must play an 8-bit Ys I go for the SMS port instead.

Ys II on Famicom fares much better. It's pretty faithful to the PC-88 original and is a lot of fun overall. Fun fact: this is the only standalone version of Ys II on home consoles.

Seriously though, Turbo is the way to go. I typically find enhanced ports and remakes to be "inferior" (or at least less charming) vs. the original games, but the first couple of Ys games seem to have been developed under great time constraints and didn't really demonstrate their truly potential until they hit the TurboDuo. The hand-drawn anime art and rich redbook soundtrack is just an unbeatable combination.
(seriously, dat soundtrack, you're not getting this on any other console)
joehero
32-bit

by joehero Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

I had never played any of the Y's games until browsing this forum yesterday. After seeing everyone's recommendations I thought I would give it a try. So far I love it! ARPG are more my speed. Im playing the PSP version of Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Next I want to try Y's Seven on the PSP. Is Seven the same style as Oath?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?

The Famicom Ys games were handled by Advance Communication Company and published by Victor.

Ys I on Famicom is AWFUL. It's completely broken down, insanely difficult, borderline unplayable. If you must play an 8-bit Ys I go for the SMS port instead.

Ys II on Famicom fares much better. It's pretty faithful to the PC-88 original and is a lot of fun overall. Fun fact: this is the only standalone version of Ys II on home consoles.

Seriously though, Turbo is the way to go. I typically find enhanced ports and remakes to be "inferior" (or at least less charming) vs. the original games, but the first couple of Ys games seem to have been developed under great time constraints and didn't really demonstrate their truly potential until they hit the TurboDuo. The hand-drawn anime art and rich redbook soundtrack is just an unbeatable combination.
(seriously, dat soundtrack, you're not getting this on any other console)

Awesome, thanks man. How does the SMS version compare to the TGCD version aside from the obvious audio inferiority? Also, do you know if it supports FM sound?

Return to General Gaming