Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:A lot of people seem to rave about Ys all the time (mostly just Exhumy and Bone, actually...), so they've gone and hyped me up for it pretty well. I knew there was a DS version

I think it's great that you tried out an Ys game, and started with the first one no less. Personally I believe you would have enjoyed the game even more if you'd played the PSP, PC, or TGCD version, but you still had fun, and that's what matters. Kudos for sticking with it and enjoying a classically styled ARPG.

Of the Ys games I've beaten, here's how I'd rate them:
Ys Eternal (PC) 9/10
Ys III (TGCD) 7/10
Ys Oath in Felghana (PC) 8/10
Ys IV (SFC) 4/10
Ys V (SFC) 7/10
Ys Ark of Napishtim (PC) 8/10
Ys Seven (PSP) 9/10
Ys Origin (PC) 10/10
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC
48. Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness - PS4
49. Axiom Verge - PS4
50. Shadow Complex Remastered - PS4

51. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One
52. AM2R - PC
53. Total Annihilation - PC
54. I Am Setsuna - PS4
55. Planetary Annihilation Titans - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - PC
57. Dark Reign - Rise of the Shadowhand - PC
58. Dragon Age Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon - PC
59. Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent - PC
60. Dragon Age Inquisition - Trespasser - PC
61. The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone - PC
62. The Witcher 3 - Blood & Wine - PC
63. ReCore - Xbox One
64. Final Fantasy Tactics - PS1
65. Resident Evil 6 - PC
66. Knuckles Chaotix - 32X
67. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4
68. Might & Magic 2 - Gate to Another World - PC
69. Might & Magic 4 - Clouds of Xeen - PC
70. Might & Magic 5 - Darkside of Xeen - PC
71. Might & Magic 4&5 - World of Xeen - PC
72. Rise of the Triad - PC
73. Batman Arkham Knight - PC
74. Rise of the Triad (2013) - PC
75. Dishonored 2 - PC
76. TIS-100 - PC
77. Tyranny - PC
78. StarCraft II - Nova Covert Ops - PC
79. Raiden Fighters 2 - Xbox 360
80. Pokémon Omega Ruby - 3DS
81. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - PC

Night Dive's remaster of the N64 original, Turok is actually a surprisingly solid FPS for the time. It came out a year after Quake and actually manages to build on what Quake does; I actually felt the level design was more interesting in Turok. And there is a lot more use of verticality; the game likes to have you climb stuff and jump down stuff of great heights. It helps you don't have fall damage. Unfortunately, in a few levels this also translates into some first person platforming, but only one time did it feel unnecessarily precise. The rest of the time you could take solace in the fact that Turok has 0 inertia when landing from a jump.

The name of the game is a bit of a misnomer; I'd say 2/3 of the enemies you fight are dudes with guns or sticks, rather than dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are actually some of the least threatening enemies you face until the last two levels. At that point they start strapping guns on them and suddenly they're a threat again, as they have the largest HP pools.

The way you progress through the game is by collecting keys to unlock future levels. The very first stage gives you all the keys for levels two and three and ends with the hub. Levels two and three contain the keys for four and five, those contain the keys for six, six leads to seven, and seven leads to eight. So you can do two and three out of order, then four and five out of order. Levels three and five end with a boss fight that gives you the last key when you finish the fight. The boss fights are fairly standard FPS fare; they even have regenerating ammo so you can't get too screwed. One other thing to collect in the levels are the eight pieces to the ultimate weapon: the chronoscepter. You can only get the eight pieces immediately before the final boss if you have the other seven, and it pretty much trivializes him. Since they are reasonably well hidden it feels like a nice reward.

The weapons are a bit of a mixed bag. You get your standard pistol, shotty, rifle, minigun, grenade launcher. You get a variety of energy weapons, but the only one that felt worth using was the basic plasma rifle, which was a bit weaker per trigger pull than the assault rifle but also more ammo efficient. There's a quad rocket launcher which does less damage than you'd think, and something called the fusion cannon, which has almost no ammo in the game and is best saved for the T-Rex. Your general ammo levels are capped pretty severely. You can collect a backpack that doubles your ammo total to something reasonable, but still light compared to other games of the era. Additionally, you lose that backpack when you die, and since dying respawns you with your weapons and progress intact at 100 health it can be used strategically (like in Descent). The other thing is two weapons have alternate ammo, the bow and shotty, which is explosive. The damage increase is nice, but you can't use the regular ammo until you run out of the good stuff. All in all it ends up feeling a bit survival horror-y in terms of ammo management.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

DMC: Devil May Cry for 360 on Devil Hunter mode. Also recently found all the collectables, save for the last health and Devil Trigger upgrades.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 118

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (13 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17
67. Epic Dumpster Bear - Wii U - June 20
68. B3: Game Expo for Bees - Wii U - June 21

July (7 Games Beaten)
69. Raiden V - Xbox One - July 16
70. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U - July 16
71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23
72. Lost Sea - Playstation 4 - July 24
73. Far Cry Primal - Playstation 4 - July 27
74. Black - Playstation 2 - July 28
75. Until Dawn - Playstation 4 - July 31

August (15 Games Beaten)
76. Divine Sealing - Mega Drive - August 1
77. Gal*Gun: Double Peace - Playstation 4 - August 2
78. Valkyria Chronicles II - PSP - August 5
79. Breach and Clear - Vita - August 10
80. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube - August 12
81. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation - August 15
82. Hello Kitty Kruisers - Wii U - August 16
83. Monster Monpiece - Vita - August 17
84. Army Men: Major Malfunction - Xbox - August 17
85. Layers of Fear - Steam - August 18
86. Kirby: Planet Robobot- 3DS - August 19
87. Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii - August 20
88. Caladrius Blaze - PlayStation 4 - August 20
89. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype - Vita - August 22
90. Saints Row IV - PS4 - August 30

September (8 Games Beaten)
91. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X - PS4 - September 2
92. Attack on Titan - PS4 - September 3
93. SOMA - Steam - September 5
94. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4 - September 8
95. Attack of the Friday Monsters! - 3DS - September 17
96. The Witcher - GOG.com - September 19
97. GunValkyrie - Xbox - September 21
98. P.N.03 - Gamecube - September 22

October (10 Games Beaten)
99. XCOM 2 - PS4 - October 3
100. Gears of War: Judgement - Xbox 360 - October 8
101. Ninja Pizza Girl - Wii U - October 8
102. Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive - Steam - October 9
103. EVE: Valkyrie - PlayStation 4 - October 14
104. Gears of War 4 - Xbox One - October 18
105. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - PlayStation 4 - October 18
106. Battlefield 1 - PlayStation 4 - October 20
107. EVE: Gunjack - PlayStation 4 - October 20
108. Titanfall 2 - PlayStation 4 - October 30

November (6 Games Beaten)
109. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces - Wii - November 3
110. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Vita - November 6
111. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Wii U - November 11
112. State of Decay - Xbox One - November 15
113. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PlayStation 4 - November 20
114. Shadow Complex Remastered - PlayStation 4 - November 22

December (4 Games Beaten)
115. The Legendary Axe - TurboGrafx-16 - December 3
116. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PlayStation 4 - December 4
117. Ys Origin - Steam - December 7
118. Pokémon Moon - 3DS - December 8

118. Pokémon Moon - 3DS - December 8

I'm not going to lie. As big a Pokémon fan as I've been for most of my life since Red and Blue debuted in the United States, I was not very hyped for Sun and Moon. The series really lost my rabid attention with X and Y when they introduced Mega Evolutions. When I read about the Z-moves in Sun and Moon, I was NOT excited. When I read about the Alola form Pokémon, I was not excited. But I've been a dedicated fan for years and years, so I gave it a shot. I am not disappointed.

One of the first things to note about Pokémon Sun and Moon is that while the core gameplay remains true to form, the set-up of the game is very different than in previous iterations. The first six generations of Pokémon games all followed an identical format - battle eight gyms to get badges, battle Pokémon League, get bitches. In Sun and Moon, there's a similar format, but it's not identical. Gone are the eight gyms. Now you have to travel across the four islands of Alola and complete the island trials, each island culminating in the island's grand trial against the island kahuna. Each of these battles (along with a few non-trial events throughout the game) grant you a Z-crystal for a certain type, allowing you to perform Z-moves of that type when given to a Pokémon to hold. After you finish all of the island trials, THEN you fight the newly created Alola Pokémon League and get bitches.

Of course, though, the reason people play the new Pokémon is always for the new Pokémon, and I'm extremely satisfied in that regard with this game. I've not seen all of them, and I've only caught one of the legendaries as of right now, but from my playthrough of the storyline, there are actually some pretty cool Pokémon. They've done a lot to improve the deficit of Normal type match-ups (by which I mean Pokémon that are Normal type and some other type). Whereas before it was almost impossible to find a Normal type Pokémon that wasn't either pure Normal or Normal and Flying, there are a fair handful now that are Normal and some other type, and that's a welcome addition in my book. The Alola form Pokémon also ended up being a lot cooler than I had expected, and they really grew on me. To my knowledge, it's only Gen I Pokémon that have an Alola form, but it's stuff like Sandslash being Ice and Steel instead of Ground, Meowth being Normal and Dark instead of Normal, Vuplix being Ice instead of Fire, Raichu being Electric and Fairy instead of Electric, Geodude being Rock and Electric instead of Rock and Ground, etc. I thought it was going to make the game exceptionally obnoxious, and while I can't say there's no merit to the argument that it's a lazy cop-out for adding actual new Pokémon, it gives old favorites a breathe of new life, and it really grew on me. My Alola Sandslash and Alola Golem stayed on my team all the way up through the Elite Four. It's also worth noting, I think, that there's a Pokémon that looks JUST like Donald Trump.

So....let's talk about Z-moves. I still hate them. I still think they're shit. I do, however, hate them less than Mega Evolutions, and at least in the main game (I haven't done any of the post-game stuff), they don't really show up in Sun and Moon. Z-moves are basically to moves what Mega Evolutions are to evolutions - extremely powerful moves that you can use once per battle. Like with the items that allow a Pokémon to Mega Evolve, there are specific items that a Pokémon must be holding in order to use a Z-move of that type. Because it's a one-and-done move, and a trainer can only use one Z-move per battle (not one Z-move per Pokémon per battle), it doesn't feel nearly as game-breaking as Mega Evolutions (those could get OP fast), but I still think it's an overall detriment to the game. What's not a detriment to the game, however, is riding Pokémon. You know how you can surf on most Water type Pokémon in all of the older games? Well, they took that and turned it up to 11. There are now specific Pokémon that you can ride (you don't have to have caught these Pokémon; they get registered to your magic pager or whatever and appear from the aether when called). You've got the standard Lapras for riding across the water for example, but you can call Charizard in place of Fly, Machamp in place of Strength, Tauros in place of Rock Break, etc. Yay, no more need for HM slaves!

I'm going to end this by mentioning my two favorite additions for Sun and Moon, and one of them is going to seem rather silly to most - skin tone. Sun and Moon allows you to choose the skin tone of your character. For most players, that's a bit of a moot point since the average gamer in America (along with the average person) is white, so the default model fairly closes matches the most prevalent skin tone. That isn't the only skin tone, though, and it's nice to see Game Freak acknowledge that and provide variations to let players of other races more closely identify with their character model. It's not that I thought "OMFG THEY'RE SO RACIST" for now allowing that variation before, but it's certainly a welcome and appropriate addition in my opinion. My absolute favorite addition is Poke Pelago. That's an island where you can have your Pokémon do various thing in real time while you're battling, sleeping, or even playing other 3DS games because it's based on your system's system clock, not game time. You can have them search for items in a cave (best way to get evolution stones), grow berries, or - and this is my favorite - work out on exercise equipment. With the exercise equipment part of that, you can choose what "drink" they use, and that determines the effects, from gaining exp to gain EVs. I've always like the competitive battling in Pokémon, but EV training was always a pain in the ass. Now I can have my Pokémon train themselves and just swap them out every two days. It's great!

There are numerous other features and additions that I didn't mention, but that's a pretty basic overview of what stuck out to me as most noteworthy from this new generation. In my opinion, despite my gripes with and loathing for Mega Evolutions and Z-moves, this is still the best Pokémon game to date. It's a great entry point to the series for new players, and it changes the formula just enough to keep veteran players interested while not changing it so much that stops feeling like Pokémon. If you've ever been into Pokémon in the past, I think that you'll thoroughly enjoy this game. Except the new Pokedex. God damn, that thing is annoying as shit.
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The GOG version has this:

Minutely configurable high-resolution graphics with true widescreen support.

Always choose GOG when you can!
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Ys Origin is, in my mind, as close to a perfect action RPG as I've ever played, and I look forward to collecting and playing the rest of the series.

Glad you had a good time. I think you should do The Oath in Felghana (PC GOG version), Ys Seven (PSP), and Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita), in that order. If you still want more after that, it will be time to man up for oldschool Ys. I'm still playing through Dawn of Ys on TGCD and that game routinely kicks my teeth in.

Some trailers to get you pumped...

The Oath in Felghana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLpp4-hSHc

Seven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXIyA8r63_8

Memories of Celceta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfi3CQHSGLg

Shit I'm Dealing With: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udfBHxvnuLQ
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BEST
RPG
SERIES
EVAR
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Is the PSP release of Oath in Felghana inferior?

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It's not bad at all. The (comparatively) small PSP screen does get a little cramped at times. If you have it on PC I'd go with that instead. Or play both. 8)

The Ark of Napishtim, on the other hand, AVOID the PSP port.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'll probably go with PSP for Oath of Felghana, then, given my love of collecting retail releases. :P

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?