BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:12 pm

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)
67. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision)
68. MURI (Steam)
69. Pink Hour (Steam)
70. Pink Heaven (Steam)
71. Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Steam)
72. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam)
73. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
74. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
75. Alien (Atari 2600)
76. Xenophobe (Xbox - Midway Arcade Treasures 2)
77. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
78. Ghost Manor / Spike's Peak (Atari 2600)
79. Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
80. Dracula II: Noroi no Fūin (Famicom Disk System)
81. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
82. Beneath the Cherry Trees (Steam)
83. Voices from the Sea (Steam)
84. Mushihimesama (Steam)
85. Sonic CD (Steam)
86. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
87. Super Mario World (SNES)
88. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
89. Operation C (Game Boy)
90. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
91. Metroid (NES)
92. Breath of Fire (SNES)
93. Elisa: The Innkeeper - Prequel (Steam)
94. Cally's Caves 3 (Steam)

Well, this was a pleasant surprise. Genre-wise, Cally's Caves 3 is tough to pin down though I'm feeling elements of Contra, Metroid, and Turrican here.

Cally is a young girl whose parents have been kidnapped. On her way to retrieve them she must venture through 110(-ish?) cave levels. Yeah this is a mostly "interior" game like Symphony of the Night and Ys Origin, though the backgrounds are varied enough so you won't notice.
Cally has some tricks up her sleeve. With a double-jump, which later evolves into a triple-jump, she can bounce all around the terrain. She's equipped with a sword - for maximum stun damage - and an arsenal of guns. The guns are unique in that they evolve and level up over time. Not only do they get stronger, but their projectiles will also get longer and fatter. One even achieves homing capabilities eventually. That said, I was having flashbacks to Secret of Mana here as most weapons aren't worth leveling up or even using in the first place.

The stages are very brief and littered with enemies. The terrain typically varies in that there's one set path to take to the exit alongside branching paths that will lead to caches of money. Cally controls perfectly, even with the multiple-jump mechanic in play. The weapons have some nuance to their controls as some have auto-fire while others need to tap-tap-tapped. Backtracking to previous stages is encouraged, as certain areas will become accessible once new guns are obtained.

Graphics are decent. It's clear that this is a port of a mobile game but the visual style features plenty of chunky pixels rather than that terrible smoothed-over high-res gunk. There are some charming cutscenes where the characters become HUGE and screen-filling. It does feel like some animations are "missing" however - for instance, there isn't enough "umpf" when Cally gets hit. I found myself losing all my health a few times without even realizing how it happened.

The game's soundtrack is intriguing for two reasons. First, it's just really really good - a eclectic mixture of both upbeat and chilled-out techno tracks. Second, the way the score is implemented into the game is quite unique. Barring a few notable events most songs aren't "assigned" to any specific area. Instead, the soundtrack is simply shuffled and looped. It sounds odd but it somehow works here.
I found the game hardest at the beginning. Enemies don't change much throughout so once guns level-up the baddies become small obstacles in the wake of Cally's mass destruction. It's also possible to hold six HP-refill items at one time. There are stores scattered throughout the game where Cally can purchase power-ups, restoration items, and other various things.

The most disappointing thing about the game is perhaps the enemy selection. It's just a random assortment of spiders, wolves, and guys with guns. No variety and no cohesion. The enemies also suffer from "bullet sponge" syndrome; while most are rather easy they still take like 40 hits to kill. Bosses fair a bit better though most are just huge versions of regular enemies.

Overall, I dig this game and would recommend it. Preferably while it's on sale (I've seen it as low as $1.39). It may not hold a candle to many of the action games of yore but it's pretty damn fun in its own right.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Cally's Caves 3 is also in this Bundle Stars bundle.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:16 pm

124. Lords of Thunder | TGCD 1993 | 9/10

ImageImage

Lords of Thunder is a freaking amazing fantasy themed shmup. It just gets everything right. Great game design, fun levels, a cool shop system, fantastic bosses, excellent weapons, and plenty of variety. And most of all, the blazing guitars OST is out of this world awesome. I also loved being able to choose the level order and type of magic armor (weapons) to start with. Being able to buy extra continues, shields, power ups and such may make the game too easy for shmup veterans. But you could always just not buy that stuff! My only complaint is after a while the constant sound effect of grabbing crystals starts to get really annoying. But if you're in the mood for a killer shmup, you'll find Lords of Thunder is a lord indeed.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:20 pm

1. SSX 3 (oXbox)
2. Mario Kart DS (NDS)
3. Fairune (Android)
4. Streets of Rage (Gen)
5. Amplitude (PS2)
6. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
7. Crash Team Racing (PS)
8. Enchanted Arms (Xbox360)
9. Spyro the Dragon (PS)
10. Limbo (Android)
11. Konami Krazy Racers (GBA)
12. Beatles Rockband (PS3)

13. Soul Calibur (DC)

Ran through this game unlocking all the characters and finishing it at least once with each. My history with the "Soul" series started with Soul Blade on the PS; I played it to death with a few friends in high school and really loved that game. That and Tekken 3 were my preferred fighting games back then. I missed the Dreamcast when it was a live console, but when Soul Calibur 2 came out for PS2 I also played that for countless hours.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast holds up exceptionally well today. The battle are fast, animation is smooth, graphics are still pleasant and there are enough characters to keep it interesting. You can get by with button mashing, but there is a deep fighter here if you want to explore and really get to learn a character's moveset. It is a true classic and deserves its place of reverence among the 3D fighters.

14. RockBand 3 (PS3)

Despite having played a plethora of hours of RockBand 3 back when it was new, I never actually rolled the credits. I really spent most of my time in the Quickplay choosing one song at a time and working on my scores. This morning I had the house to myself and decided to pull out the drums and make some noise. After a little while I was motivated to play the last set of tour challenges (or whatever they were called) and played well enough to get the ending.

Rockband was a huge part of my gaming life for a couple of years and I still enjoy going through a few songs from time to time. I prefer RockBand 3 simply because of the option for expert drums, but I was far more satisfied when I beat the story mode of Rockband 2 as I felt you actually had to work for it quite a bit more. If this game wasn't so loud and it didn't take up as much space I'm sure I'd still play it more frequently. Music + Video Games are my top two hobbies, so enjoying this is natural.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Pleasant? Fam, the graphics on Soul Calibur are still damn good today. What output did you use? Hopefully you use at least S-video. Composite makes even those great graphics look rubbish, and we won't even talk about RF. VGA is definitely the way to go if you have the option, even if you have it run it through a VGA-to-HDMI converter (that's what I'm doing).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:11 pm

R-Type III never clicked with me but I grew up playing Super a lot. Aesthetically I love the R-Type games, but man are they slow or what. I like Gradius more, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the upgrade/weapon system in those and Salamander. Not that it's bad, but yeah.

I still can't beat Gradius V and it angers me. Always die on the one stage that has green goo covering nearly the entire screen all the while it's one of those stages where the entire level is wobbling around as you try to navigate it. It's insane.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Lords of Thunder is a freaking amazing fantasy themed shmup. It just gets everything right. Great game design, fun levels, a cool shop system, fantastic bosses, excellent weapons, and plenty of variety. And most of all, the blazing guitars OST is out of this world awesome. I also loved being able to choose the level order and type of magic armor (weapons) to start with. Being able to buy extra continues, shields, power ups and such may make the game too easy for shmup veterans. But you could always just not buy that stuff! My only complaint is after a while the constant sound effect of grabbing crystals starts to get really annoying. But if you're in the mood for a killer shmup, you'll find Lords of Thunder is a lord indeed.

Oh hey, that was quick.

You're clearly better at shmups than me - I thought Lords of Thunder was reasonably challenging myself, it took me a little while to finish that one :?

Which armour did you use? I'm a water armour kinda guy, but I like earth on a few of the stages.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Pleasant? Fam, the graphics on Soul Calibur are still damn good today. What output did you use? Hopefully you use at least S-video. Composite makes even those great graphics look rubbish, and we won't even talk about RF. VGA is definitely the way to go if you have the option, even if you have it run it through a VGA-to-HDMI converter (that's what I'm doing).

Unfortunately all I have currently for Dreamcast is composite. I do have a 4*3 monitor set aside for a planned VGA setup in the near future though. Any suggestion on best place to get a VGA cable for DC?
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Lords of Thunder is pretty easy compared to a lot of them out there. I beat it on the Sega CD a long time ago. And I rocked out to that soundtrack for years.

By the way, the Sega CD version's soundtrack has been redone, it sounds a bit different. It's actually the version I prefer, at least as far as sound goes.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Sarge wrote:Lords of Thunder is pretty easy compared to a lot of them out there. I beat it on the Sega CD a long time ago. And I rocked out to that soundtrack for years.

By the way, the Sega CD version's soundtrack has been redone, it sounds a bit different. It's actually the version I prefer, at least as far as sound goes.

Same here. 8)
Return to General Gaming