Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by alienjesus »

Kuruwin wrote:I loved Sky Crawlers. It' simple and short but i was still a blast. I don't recall having any problems with the controls but i don't remember what control scheme i used.

It's just awesome dueling in the air while this plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szPvIB3Y4A

My absolute favourite moment of The Sky Crawlers. I really enjoyed it overall myself.

Kinda surprised you didn't mention the chase & manoeuvre mechanics Elkin. I thought they were fun, although I wish there was a little more advantage to shooting on the fly so you didn't have to use the positioning manoeuvre quite as much
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kuruwin wrote:If you want a flight game with a great story then pick up the Ace Combat 4.

Personally I believe AC5's story outclasses AC4. But AC4 was far more arcade-like in its mission design, I think that's why more people choose AC4 over AC5. The final PS2 AC (Zero: The Belkan War) is also pretty good, but for me it was more like an expansion rather than a true sequel. Ace Combat was at its apex on the PS2 though, helluva trilogy.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:Kinda surprised you didn't mention the chase & manoeuvre mechanics Elkin. I thought they were fun, although I wish there was a little more advantage to shooting on the fly so you didn't have to use the positioning manoeuvre quite as much

Ohhh, I really should have. That was a neat feature that helped me a LOT during the boss battle dogfights. I'd NEVER have beaten some of those duels without it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrHealthy wrote:45. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (PS3)
    A replay for me. Originally played on PC. I love the art and twin-peaks / x-files story. I hope we get more some day but I imagine we won't.

Good news! There is a sequel on iOS and PC! :D

Bad news...the original is no longer available in the App Store... :(

I guess I will just have to get it on PSN. :)
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
    A replay for me. Originally played on PC. I love the art and twin-peaks / x-files story. I hope we get more some day but I imagine we won't.

Both games are excellent. You'd dig them for sure dude.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Flake

Post by Flake »

3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)
3/22: Sonic Colors (Wii)
4/10: Sonic Adventure DX (GCN)
4/17: Knuckles in Sonic 2 (SG/WiiVC)
6/15: Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP/PSTV)
8/4: Metal Slug (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 2 (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug X (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 3 (Arcade/PS4)
8/22: Megaman X (SNES/GCN)
8/29: Megaman X2 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X3 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X4 (PSX/GCN)
9/4: Megaman X5 (PSX/GCN)
9/5: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PSN/PS3)
9/6: Street Fighter V (PS4)
9/10: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PSX)
9/17: Dragonball Xenoverse (PS4)
10/1: Metal Gear Solid (PSX/PS3)
10/09: Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
10/11: Metal Gear Solid 2 HD (PS3)
10/18: Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
10/21: Rival Schools: United by Fate (PSX/Retropie)
10/30: Dragonball Xenoverse 2 (PS4)
11/3: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

I still feel like this game is an example of what happens when a creative person is given a near limitless budget with no oversight for the first 90% of a project. The things this game does well (graphics, atmosphere, nods to previous games) it does REALLY well. The things it does badly (narrative, dialogue, cutscene to gameplay ratio, not having the dumbest possible story ever) it does VERY badly.

If the entire game had been more like the 1st chapter and less like the 4th chapter, it could have been a masterpiece. I play this game every couple of years hoping that maybe I was wrong to be so critical of it before. I continue to be right.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Ah, I have actually played the sequel. Though it never made it to PSN.

I was just lamenting the fact that we will never get Puzzle Agent 3.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)
3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)
8. Heroes Of The Storm (PC)
9. The Elder Scrolls Legends (PC)
10. Land's End (GearVR)
11. Hearthstone: League Of Explorers (PC)
12. Metal Slug (PC)
13. Broforce (PC)
14. Metal Slug X (PC)
15. Hearthstone: One Night In Karazhan (PC)
16. The Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition (PC)
17. The Stanley Parable (PC)
18. Lucky's Tale (PC)
19. The House Of The Dead (PC)
20. Mortal Kombat XL (PC)
21. House Of The Dying Sun (PC)
22. Portal (PC)

been a few years since I played the original Portal. Fired it up, and beat it in 3 hours. Still fantastic. Love everything about this game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC
48. Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness - PS4
49. Axiom Verge - PS4
50. Shadow Complex Remastered - PS4

51. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One
52. AM2R - PC
53. Total Annihilation - PC
54. I Am Setsuna - PS4
55. Planetary Annihilation Titans - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - PC
57. Dark Reign - Rise of the Shadowhand - PC
58. Dragon Age Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon - PC
59. Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent - PC
60. Dragon Age Inquisition - Trespasser - PC
61. The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone - PC
62. The Witcher 3 - Blood & Wine - PC
63. ReCore - Xbox One
64. Final Fantasy Tactics - PS1
65. Resident Evil 6 - PC
66. Knuckles Chaotix - 32X
67. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4
68. Might & Magic 2 - Gate to Another World - PC
69. Might & Magic 4 - Clouds of Xeen - PC
70. Might & Magic 5 - Darkside of Xeen - PC
71. Might & Magic 4&5 - World of Xeen - PC
72. Rise of the Triad - PC
73. Batman Arkham Knight - PC

I was sort of a latecomer to the Arkham games. I think I picked up Asylum when it was cheap after Knight was announced at E3, because I'd heard so many good things. And I loved it, so I immediately purchased city and loved that too. The gameplay really nails the feeling of the Animated Series, with Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy as an awesome bonus. So I got Knight at release. Then the whole PC port trainwreck happened. Fortunately I was in the middle of some other game at the time, so I decided to hold off. And then it sort of drifted into the backlog. But I finally got around to playing it. And it was definitely worth the wait.

So first things, the PC port is now completely fine. It played as well as the first two. So no worries there. Arkham Knight is mostly an iteration on City's gameplay. The main new addition is the Batmobile. Otherwise it has the same sort of structure; you have areas that get unlocked over time, a main quest and several side missions, some of the collectable variety and some of just going to locations and beating up dudes, and lots of Riddler trophies. There's a couple new gadgets/more uses for gadgets, with the notable one being the Disruptor. This is a versatile weapon for evening the odds. You can disable enemy weapons and set up traps for them, as well as disabling some of their new special equipment. Do not be afraid to use this one.

The Batmobile is the main new thing the game does. For the most part I think it works pretty well. It has two modes; car mode and tank mode. In car mode it handles like you'd expect; get quickly from place to place, chase down Riddler informants, that sort of thing. You can launch out of it into a glide, and this becomes a good way to get certain places quickly. Tank mode converts it to a slow moving weapon platform. This is used in two ways; the first is destroying enemy tanks. Most of the time you're doing so in the context of something else, like assaulting an enemy base or waiting for a bomb defusing virus to go off. You won't just be randomly running into tanks while exploring the city. The second thing tank mode has is the winch, which is used for the puzzle solving. When doing the Riddler quest there will be a few races to undergo as well.

The story is amazing. This is one of the best Batman stories I've seen told and I loved every minute of it. I can't go into detail because the game starts going into major spoiler territory about 30 minutes in, but what I can tell is the setup. Scarecrow unleashes a new fear toxin that turns people homicidal. He threatens to gas the entire city, leading to an evacuation (and thus leaving a city where everyone is punchable). You need to stop him. But the fear toxin is only the beginning of his plan; things go much much deeper. I will say that for full impact you really need to have played the first two games.

This game was an amazing sendoff to the Arkham trilogy (I don't worry about the non-Rocksteady games). I highly recommend it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2016 Beaten List
1-50

51. Axiom Verge
52. Otomedius Excellent
53. JUMP Ultimate Stars
54. Dynasty Warriors 3
55. Fire Emblem if: Byakuya (Birthright)
56. Fire Emblem if: Anya (Conquest)

57. Fire Emblem if: Invisible Kingdom (Revelations) (3DS)

And so ends the last chapter of Fire Emblem if for me. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little torn about Revelations' on a "right to exist" level.

From a story perspective, there's the argument that having a path where both families win is a nice middle ground to have. This is also the only path where you actually get the titular "Fire Emblem," and also do the other thing that so many Fire Emblems end with (which I shant spoil, but you can probably guess). On another level, I really respected Conquest and Birthright for how bold their stories were in showing that war really sucks, and there may be winner but there are also a lot of losers. Those stories had a much larger impact to me, and I feel Revelations misses out on that by quite a bit.

On a gameplay perspective, Revelations has some of the most interesting level gimmicks out of the other if games. It also has SO MANY fucking characters, it certainly feels like if one was going to be inclined towards an ironman run, this would certainly be the game to do it in (there'd just be a million billion hours of ginding up a new guy every time an old one dies). However, that character overflow was kind of overwhelming, and I kinda felt bad that there were SO many characters whom I never used once. That said, every one of those characters (sans one) were already playable in Conquest or Birthright, so I'd already seen all of them to a satisfactory point.

Verdict: Recommended. This is definitely the FE: If game I liked the least, but I think that's down to me just playing 3 FE games in a row. Part of me feels like this game has trouble standing on its own because of how much better the stories were told in the two sister games, but part of me also feels like this game stands best on its own because it has all of the character content of those two games. I wouldn't really recommend playing only Revelations, but if you can really only stomach to play one FE: if game, then I'd say it might as well be Revelations.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me