3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)
8. Heroes Of The Storm (PC)
9. The Elder Scrolls Legends (PC)
10. Land's End (GearVR)
11. Hearthstone: League Of Explorers (PC)
12. Metal Slug (PC)
13. Broforce (PC)
14. Metal Slug X (PC)
15. Hearthstone: One Night In Karazhan (PC)
16. The Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition (PC)

I've beaten Monkey Island in the past, but never played the SE. It is fantastic. A longer write-up will be on my site when I have time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by noiseredux »

1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)
3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)
8. Heroes Of The Storm (PC)
9. The Elder Scrolls Legends (PC)
10. Land's End (GearVR)
11. Hearthstone: League Of Explorers (PC)
12. Metal Slug (PC)
13. Broforce (PC)
14. Metal Slug X (PC)
15. Hearthstone: One Night In Karazhan (PC)
16. The Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition (PC)
17. The Stanley Parable (PC)

double post. Sorry.

The Stanley Parable is a short game with a bunch of different endings. I got the achievement for beating it a while ago but kept playing to see more. It is fascinating and I still don't know that I've seen everything. It is a total meta mindfuck and I think it's pretty brilliant. I'll probably keep playing it.

The options screen alone made me literally (like, literally literally) LOL.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC
48. Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness - PS4
49. Axiom Verge - PS4
50. Shadow Complex Remastered - PS4

51. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One
52. AM2R - PC
53. Total Annihilation - PC
54. I Am Setsuna - PS4
55. Planetary Annihilation Titans - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - PC
57. Dark Reign - Rise of the Shadowhand - PC
58. Dragon Age Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon - PC
59. Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent - PC
60. Dragon Age Inquisition - Trespasser - PC
61. The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone - PC

Continuing my quest to beat story DLC for RPGs I finished a while ago, here comes the first of the two major Witcher 3 DLCs. Both are intended for high level characters that have probably beaten the game, though you do have the option of starting a game already leveled to the appropriate point with gear to match in order to jump to the DLC right away. I have no idea if that lets you do any of the other quest stuff; I already had my end game save available and just used that.

Hearts of Stone starts with Geralt getting a contract to take out a monster in the sewers. Unfortunately, upon striking the killing blow you find out the monster was actually a cursed prince of a foreign land, and his guards who were searching for him show up just as he expires. You get taken in chains aboard their ship to a scheduled execution, but you are bailed out by a mysterious stranger, for a price. Your face gets branded as a sign of the contract, and the rest of the DLC is repaying that price.

Something that I really like about the Witcher games is that it's not just mindless hack and slash. Sure, there's a lot of combat, but just as much comes down to the dialog choices you make and the care you show in investigating things. Geralt is not a mindless killer, but a hunter, and it shows. Hell, one of the major branches of the main quest is to attend a wedding. The story has a good amount of depth to it; you'll probably figure out the major beats before the end, but the nuances are still really good. The whole thing takes about 10ish hours. There's also a few sidequests that you'll come upon during the course of following the main quest. They're all fairly minor diversions, though one explores some more of the overall storyline of the trilogy (specifically, calling back to the events of the first game).

Recommended.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)
3/22: Sonic Colors (Wii)
4/10: Sonic Adventure DX (GCN)
4/17: Knuckles in Sonic 2 (SG/WiiVC)
6/15: Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP/PSTV)
8/4: Metal Slug (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 2 (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug X (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 3 (Arcade/PS4)
8/22: Megaman X (SNES/GCN)
8/29: Megaman X2 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X3 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X4 (PSX/GCN)
9/4: Megaman X5 (PSX/GCN)
9/5: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PSN/PS3)
9/6: Street Fighter V (PS4)

Taking a quick break from my Megaman X marathon (still got 3 mainline games, two portables, a remake of the first, and a crappy RPG) to play a game I picked up during PSN's flash sale a week or so ago and a really great fighting game.

I really, really like Super Puzzle Fighter. I think my only beef is that I wish there was more to it! I wish there were story elements or some type of narrative. Also, unlockables. The online for the game is pretty barren by now so the game doesn't give you a lot of incentive to play through solo.

As for the fighting game, I finally 'finished' Street Fighter V. To say that I finished means that I completed the main story, the individual story modes for all characters currently released, and survival mode on standard difficulty for all characters currently released. Between the content yet to be made available and the amount of mileage this game's online competition offers, I see this game getting played at least once a week for quite awhile.

Street Fighter V is what I originally wanted Street Fighter IV to be. When Vanilla Street Fighter IV landed, I was turned off by how disconnected it seemed from the legacy of the series. After waiting so many years, it was important for the story to be fleshed out. But Street Fighter IV did not do much at all to draw a line between Street Fighter II and Street Fighter III.

After a few updates and re-releases, SFIV went in that direction and even began to emphasize SFIV's place in a larger universe by tying it so heavily to Final Fight and introducing some SFIII characters. By then, I had already moved on and never got hooked the way I had wanted to.

Street Fighter V had a rocky release too but I deliberately avoided getting it till the story mode was pushed out - and I am glad I did. Street Fighter V does more than tie Street Fighter II to Street Fighter III. It hearkens back as far as Street Fighter Alpha 2 and never misses an opportunity to re-introduce characters and plot elements from Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Street Fighter III: Second Impact. For a kid who threw many hundreds of quarters into arcade cabinets in the 90s, this is an amazing feeling.

Oh, and Street Fighter V is fun to play. Until I get online and have my face smashed within 20 seconds. That, too, is part of the nostalgia, I guess.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Flake wrote:I really, really like Super Puzzle Fighter. I think my only beef is that I wish there was more to it! I wish there were story elements or some type of narrative. Also, unlockables. The online for the game is pretty barren by now so the game doesn't give you a lot of incentive to play through solo.

that's because the PSN/XBLA version only has the arcade mode. The PS1/Sat/GBA/PC version has a lot more to do.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:17. The Stanley Parable (PC)

double post. Sorry.

The Stanley Parable is a short game with a bunch of different endings. I got the achievement for beating it a while ago but kept playing to see more. It is fascinating and I still don't know that I've seen everything. It is a total meta mindfuck and I think it's pretty brilliant. I'll probably keep playing it.

Yeah The Stanley Parable is awesome, hilarious, and just really makes you think. Love it.

Have you played The Beginner's Guide? It is from Davey Wreden one of the guys behind Stanley. I'd like to get to it eventually.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Stark wrote:
noiseredux wrote:17. The Stanley Parable (PC)

double post. Sorry.

Yeah The Stanley Parable is awesome, hilarious, and just really makes you think. Love it.

Have you played The Beginner's Guide? It is from Davey Wreden one of the guys behind Stanley. I'd like to get to it eventually.

In many ways I like TBG better. Well worth the couple of hours it takes to play, and arguably better/more memorable that TSP.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

heard good things, but haven't played it yet. I actually only finally played this one cuz it was this month's Indie Box release. Came with a mousepad and a tie :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
2. Puzzle Link (NGPC)(Puzzle)
3. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)(RPG)
4. Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War (PC)(Strategy)
5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC)(RPG)
6. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC)(RPG)
7. Drakkhen (SNES)(RPG)
8. Flight of the Amazon Queen (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)

9. Shadowgrounds: Survivor (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
10. Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)(RPG)
11. BioShock (PC)(FPS)
12. Jeopardy! Sports Edition (SNES)(Game Show Sim)
13. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (PC)(FPS)
14. Thief Gold (PC)(Stealth)
15. Call of Duty 2 (PC)(FPS)

16. Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (PC)(RPG)
17. Alone in the Dark (PC)(Survival Horror)
18. Silent Hill (PS1)(Survival Horror)
19. Sanitarium (PC)(Point-and-Click Adventure/Horror)
20. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition(PC)(Hack and Slash)

21. Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
22. Ultima II (PC)(RPG)
23. System Shock (PC)(Action RPG)
24. DOOM (PC)(FPS)
25. Soul Blazer (SNES)(RPG)
26. Slave Zero (PC)(Action)
27. Broforce (PC)(Run and Gun)
28. Gothic (PC)(RPG)

Hmm, Gothic is a strange bird at times. It was Piranha Bytes' first game, and it is obvious that there were a lot of growing pains over its four year development. There are some glaring graphical issues, the control scheme is bizarre, mouse implementation was obviously an afterthought, and the prospect of choice in the first chapter is revealed to be an illusion by the third as the player is railroaded into the same storyline no matter which faction is joined. Despite these problems I liked the game, much as I generally liked the other Piranha Bytes game I have played, Risen. In fact these two are incredibly similar in many ways, so much that I'd argue most folks would have an easier time getting into Risen, though both games have similar technical problems. I also preferred Gothic's soundtrack to Risen.

What's the same? Well, monsters in both games are pretty similar and operate the same way: there is a limited number in the world, and they wander around in packs. Slowly but surely you'll likely kill off most or all of them, and some will come back between Chapter transitions, but not all. There are again different factions which give you access to different trainers for skill upgrades, but these factions all end up feeding into a single story. Leveling is handled the same way, giving access to skill points which are spent for upgrades, though in general Risen had more options for ways to spend your skillpoints. The idea of the boss in both cases involves some big nasty critter locked deep beneath the earth. I also encountered some of the same crashing bugs and got stuck in the same way on rocks and such.

However there are some important differences. In Gothic you can save after you die, putting you into an impossible situation unless you are willing to cheat yourself back to life. I found one particular location where textures suddenly disappear, so it appears you are walking into a bottomless pit. That was fun. You can also survive long falls by strafing in midair, which resets your fall distance; my maneuverability increased a hundred fold upon finding that out, because I was now willing to throw myself off cliffs to get around.

Gothic's controls are also awkward. You have to hold the action button in combination with other buttons to do things, such as interacting with chests(action and directions), manipulating inventory(actions and directions, though different sets of directions will move different amounts of items[on the scheme I used, WASD moved blocks of 10 items at once while directional keys moved 1]), and combat(weapon button necessary to draw weapon, then action and direction for different kinds of attacks, which may be comboed in different ways depending on your weapon skill). It all takes a while to learn, and I feel like even at the end I was discovering I could do things I hadn't realized before. I didn't figure out how to use scrolls until Chapter 5, and it was Chapter 6, the finale, before I realized how to swap between weapons and equipped scrolls or spells properly.

For those of you interested in story presentation, Gothic is broken down into 6 chapters, though its heavily weighted towards the first as you slowly get more powerful by figuring out which creatures to kill for experience. The kingdom you inhabit is ruled by a king who is fighting a losing war against orcs. The king needs magic ore, so he makes prisoners mine it. To keep the prisoners at bay, the king orders his wizards to build a magic dome. Unfortunately the magic spell goes haywire, and the 13 wizards are trapped inside. The prisoners immediately riot, take over the prison, and then split into three factions. You're a nameless prisoner who gets tossed in with a bunch of gear being sent to the ore barons, the prisoners who now run the Old Camp. There's also the New Camp, full of mercenaries and rogues who don't like the rules of the Old Camp, and then there is the swamp camp, a bunch of prisoners who discovered some swamp plants are hallucinogenic, so they formed a religion around a being called the Sleeper(no Dune jokes please) who contacts them while high.

Unfortunately for everybody involved the Sleeper is a real thing, and it's asleep and trapped beneath the dome as well, but it's trying to stir. It also happens to be a big and nasty critter originally brought to our dimension by orc shamans who now serve as its zombie servants. The orcs worship the Sleeper as a god, just like the swamp camp. It's when the swamp camp zealots start to realize they're worship an extra-dimensional arch demon interested in enslaving the souls of man and orc alike that they start to realize maybe they shouldn't praise it so much...except for the most hardcore, who break off and try to wake it and its undead guards directly.

That's where you come in. You want to escape, so you've got to figure out how to bring down the magic barrier and get tough. Eventually you'll become so powerful that you'll have skill points to burn, but at the start things are a bit dicey. Each new level brings obvious jumps in power for you, as does the gear that you will slowly acquire. Once you figure out where to look, there are some choice pieces of equipment you can snag pretty early on, but in general you'll see upgrades up until the end of the game, where a couple of the lead-up quests to the face off include you snagging the best weapon in the game as well as some of the nicest armor. While it's not always well spaced based on player option(I managed to find the third best weapon in the game in chapter 3 by beating up a specific NPC), it was nice to slowly uncover the world and find new items and new possibilities.

I said when I reviewed Risen that I had some mixed feelings due to the technical problems, and the same is proven with Gothic. Between the two, Risen feels like the better game just because the devs had learned a fair bit by then about making games. But despite the issues that Gothic has, I'd actually say it's about on the same level as Risen. I had fun playing both games, they gave a steady feeling of accomplishment with each new slain enemy, and I am eager to play further down the line...some day. For new folks who don't want to finagle with Gothic's weird control choices, Risen is a nice place to start, though I'd probably point to Gothic first for those who don't mind a touch of the weird and archaic. I hear Gothic 2 is one of the best of these open world action RPGs. I guess at some point I'll have to check it out and see for myself.