Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Xeogred Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:19 pm

lol, I really don't think X5 and X6 are "bad" in any regard. Not as good as the previous entries, but compared to other action/platformers... still some of the best. Bit of a fanboy though.

Always interesting to see how diversive fans are among X2-X3. I actually used to like them more than X, but over the years, I've begun to appreciate X the most. And I was there when it was brand new. So it's interesting how I've changed a bit on it. I've never liked X4 as much as the SNES games, but it is really amazing. What I hate is the addition of being able to "duck" though, which changes up the feel.. a lot. It's rather pointless. My biggest knock on X5 and X6 are all the transmissions/dialogue. Just way too much. But the core gameplay itself is still awesome, and the music freaking rules.

Despite being a diehard fan for like 25 years now, do what I do and never play X7 haha. I hate X8 as well, beat that once and that was enough.

In the end, I can confidently say I'm a bigger fan of the NES line. Even if I dig that extra darker grit and beefier metal music the X series brings, Zero is no match for Protoman, and the NES games are literal perfection.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Games Beaten 2016

First 50:
Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES
Super C - NES
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES
Tekken - PS1
The King of Fighters '99 - PS1
Street Fighter Alpha - PS1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - PS4
Three Fourths Home - PC
Firewatch - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
Far Cry: Primal - PS4
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - PS3
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - Xbox One
Android Assault Cactus - PS4
Table Top Racing - Vita
The Room - iOS
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - PS3
The Room 2 - iOS
Broforce - PS4
Toybox Turbos - PC
Peggle 2 - PS4
R-Type (R-Type Dimensions) - 360
The Room 3 - iOS
Rampage - SMS
Doom (2016) - PS4
Dungeon Siege III - - 360
Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End - PS4
NES Remix - Wii U
Moon Chronicles: Episode 1 - 3DS
Outrun 3D - 3DS
Box Boy - 3DS
Splatoon - - Wii U
Nano Assault Neo X - PS4
Mamorukun Curse! - PS3
Hyperburner - iOS
The Beginner's Guide - PC
Halo 5: Guardians - Xbox One
POP: Methodology Experiment 1 - PC
Amplitude - - PS4
Slave of God - PC
Power Drift 3D - 3DS
Bio-Hazard Battle - Genesis
Thunder Force II - Genesis
Thunder Force III - Genesis
Lightening Force - Genesis
DiRT: Showdown - PC

Battleborn - PC
140 - PC
Last Duel - Arcade (PSP)
Alien on the Run - 3DS
Undead Bowling - 3DS
Chain Blaster - 3DS
Runny Egg - 3DS
Bound - PS4
Parasite Eve - PS1
Destiny - PS4 *new*
Destiny: The Dark Below - PS4 *new*
Destiny: The House of Wolves - PS4 *new*
Destiny: The Taken King - PS4 *new*

Total: 63

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I am trying to get my Destiny game back into decent shape before the new expansion hits in a few weeks, and so after rising the light level of my main, I finally finished a long languishing playthrough of the game and its expansions with a different character to start the leveling up process for a second class. I still have plenty of work to do with both before I get them ready for Rise of Iron, but I have now sunk more hours into Destiny than any game ever made, so I guess it is fair to say I quite like it. :lol:
marurun

by marurun Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Xeogred wrote:In the end, I can confidently say I'm a bigger fan of the NES line. Even if I dig that extra darker grit and beefier metal music the X series brings, Zero is no match for Protoman, and the NES games are literal perfection.

As someone who S-ranked every level (eventually) in X4 on the Saturn, I can legitimately say I prefer the NES games as well. And though this is a VERY unpopular view, I HATE Capcom's fake electric guitar sampled music from the SNES era. I enjoy Mega Man X, but whenever I boot it up I long for a different auditory experience. Mega Man 2 is my ideal Mega Man experience. It lacks some of the later bells and whistles, but the weapon, level, and enemy designs are all spot-on and the music is some of the best on the NES.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Flake wrote:
Megaman X3 and Megaman X4 belong in every Best 100 list ever made, even lists that have nothing to do with video games:

- Top 100 BBQ places in Texas? #87: Megaman X4.
- Readers Choice: 100 best ways to knit a sweater? Megaman X3 is #23.

This is great. I laughed way too hard at this.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:47 pm

MrPopo wrote:I've only played 4 and For Answer. I found the customization to be reasonable at face value, but then there's a level on top that I ignored around doing minor tweaks by modifying the little bits sticking off the parts. That part I never understood, but the swapping out base parts I didn't have a problem with after so much Front Mission.

Yes the extraneous bits like exceed orbits or extension parts can be a tad overkill. Granted if you take the time to tweak that ancillary stuff to that Nth degree, you will achieve an edge. My point with the Front Mission reference is that if loading out one single mech is too much for someone, loading out an entire fleet of them would cause an aneurysm. BTW I enjoyed your Front Mission 4 review, looking forward to when you play through Front Mission 5. I'd like to contrast your takeaway with my own.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:27 am

The problem with X4 is the physics are off. It's not quite as bad as how weird the physics are when you move between Mega Man 6 and Mega Man 7, but it's still different from the X1-3 physics.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 am

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 92

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (13 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17
67. Epic Dumpster Bear - Wii U - June 20
68. B3: Game Expo for Bees - Wii U - June 21

July (7 Games Beaten)
69. Raiden V - Xbox One - July 16
70. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U - July 16
71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23
72. Lost Sea - Playstation 4 - July 24
73. Far Cry Primal - Playstation 4 - July 27
74. Black - Playstation 2 - July 28
75. Until Dawn - Playstation 4 - July 31

August (15 Games Beaten)
76. Divine Sealing - Mega Drive - August 1
77. Gal*Gun: Double Peace - Playstation 4 - August 2
78. Valkyria Chronicles II - PSP - August 5
79. Breach and Clear - Vita - August 10
80. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube - August 12
81. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation - August 15
82. Hello Kitty Kruisers - Wii U - August 16
83. Monster Monpiece - Vita - August 17
84. Army Men: Major Malfunction - Xbox - August 17
85. Layers of Fear - Steam - August 18
86. Kirby: Planet Robobot- 3DS - August 19
87. Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii - August 20
88. Caladrius Blaze - PlayStation 4 - August 20
89. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype - Vita - August 22
90. Saints Row IV - PS4 - August 30

September (2 Games Beaten)
91. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X - PS4 - September 2
92. Attack on Titan - PS4 - September 3

92. Attack on Titan - PS4 - September 3

I'm a couple days late posting this one. I finished it Saturday night, spent all day Sunday doing optional survey missions, and am just now getting around to uploading my screenshots and doing a write-up for the game. Anyway, tardiness aside, Attack on Titan is a game that follows the first season of the show, and it does that part extremely competently. Very few liberties were taken aside from adding side missions to lengthen gameplay and adding some dialogue for NPCs in your camp.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this as I've typically been fairly unimpressed with licensed games based on movies or TV shows (looking at you, every Inuyasha game ever made), and I'd heard some mixed things about this game. In my opinion, anyway, the nay-sayers are dead wrong, though. While not a masterpiece, this is a DAMN good action game, and it's a damn good Attack on Titan game. I was very surprised just how closely to the anime the game stayed. That's not always the case when you have something "recreate" a work from another medium (like how the Jack Nicholson version of "The Shining" basically took a shit on the book and did whatever the fuck it wanted). Not the case here; while it's been a year or so since I've watched the anime, I didn't notice any major scenes omitted, and nothing of importance was added that didn't appear in the anime. My ONLY complaint in that regard was that it seemed like "abnormal" titans were FAR more numerous than normal titans, and that's really the opposite of how it ought to be.

The gameplay is a lot like Dynasty Warriors except instead of having a couple thousand enemies your size, you're fighting several dozen enemies between 5 and 100 times your size. Each titan has five points you can attack - either leg, either arm, and the nape (the only way to actually kill them). For most titans, you can go straight for the nape if you want and kill them quickly, but most will have at least one limb that will yield a crafting material if you destroy that limb first which can be used to develop near gear or improve your current gear. The combat is a LOT of fun, and all in all, performance is pretty good. There are some pretty major framerate drops in huge battles when you've killed two or three titans in a few seconds and they're all smoking as they vanish at the same time, but aside from that (when you can't even see what's going on anyway), the game stays at a fairly consistend 30 fps.

The complaint I typically saw online and the one that I can't really argue *too* much with was the omni-directional movement control. In theory, it's easy enough to use; press the square button, and you shoot lines out of your gear that latch onto whatever trees or walls are around you, and it propels you through the air. It's like a Spiderman game if Spiderman games were actually fun. The problem is that this system could have stood to have a little more care in development. Not infrequently, if you're on a forest mission, you'll end up flying straight into a tree, sending you back to the ground (and making you a very convenient snack for any nearby titan). If you're on an urban mission, you will FAR too often be trying to ODM your way over a building to get to an objective and just find yourself slamming your head into a tiny little sliver of awning at the roof over and over and over again. Nine times out of ten, the ODM system works great and it feels awesome (again, like if a Spiderman game were actually fun), but god damn if that one time out of ten isn't infuriating as fuck.

All in all, this is an EXCELLENT action game, especially for fans of the anime. In my opinion, it's well worth the $60 asking price. The main campaign alone will keep you entertained for about 9 or 10 hours depending on how many missions you have to retry, and the optional survey missions add another 6 or 7 hours to the experience. If you like action games where you kill GIANT shit, do not skip this game. If you like Attack on Titan, DEFINITELY do not skip this game. The perpetually derpy look on the titans' faces is just an added bonus.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Flake

by Flake Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Xeogred wrote:lol, I really don't think X5 and X6 are "bad" in any regard. Not as good as the previous entries, but compared to other action/platformers... still some of the best. Bit of a fanboy though.

I saw your update and I had the weirdest sense of deja vu....

Then I remembered that you and I have this conversation every few years.

I am trying to remember who it was that trolled me a couple years back when I gave up on Megaman X7 during either a Summer Games challenge or Games NOT Beaten. I think it was Ack?

X5, I think, is actually a 'bad' game. There are some significant problems with the game design that I have tried to forgive for years. The very premise of the game - having to acquire items to finish a weapon that can prevent a space colony from crashing - is based on an RNG that the player has no input on other than to reload their save. If you collect 1 or 4 or none of the items, you still may fail. And in that failure takes away a character that you may have already sunk resources into, you can find yourself struggling to finish the game.

To mitigate that, the ultimate armor was added to the game. But if you acquire that (through completely legitimate gameplay), you end up with a mcguffin that invalidates all other methods of play. The rest of the game becomes a joke and this happens right before a climactic battle that has been foreshadowed since the second game!

It's issues like that (and many more) that make me conclude that Megaman X5 is just not a good game. It is a bad game.

And then there is Megaman X6 which is terrible but I oddly find more enjoyable that Megaman X5.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Ack

by Ack Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Yeah, it was very likely probably me. Soundd like me anyway.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Flake wrote:Then I remembered that you and I have this conversation every few years.

Wow nice find. :lol:

What I don't like about X5 and X6 at all are the weird scaling boss stats and such. Really wacky stuff.
Return to General Gaming