Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Xeogred Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Haha sorry to add to even more confusion, but yeah I meant Hyperstone Heist. I've heard it's fairly different I think.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Xeogred wrote:- Need to play the Genesis version of Turtles in Time
- Need to play the Genesis Aladdin
- Now need to play Castle of Illusion
- Need to play the Genesis version of Exile
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Glancing over a video of that, it looks like Y's with a tall dude?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Like Ys III but better.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Resident Evil Revelations (3DS)

I didn't really know what to expect going into this game. I knew what the 2nd game was all about, so I expected something along those lines, but considering that this game was originally made exclusively for 3DS before it got ported to everything else, it's a really cool and great 3rd person action/horror game. Before I begin, for the record: I played on a NEW 3DS XL on normal mode, and it took me about 10 hours 20 minutes, deaths and all. I only used a guide to make sure I was fighting the final boss correctly (because he was a tough fucker).

The game is divided up into chapters, which act sort of like television episodes, even giving a "Previously, on Resident Evil Revelations" whenever you finish a chapter or start the campaign back up again. I don't think this game was even released episodically, so I have no idea why they did that really O.o . The story is pretty standard Resident Evil though. Lots of mysteries, betrayal, humanoid and animal zombie/mutants (they're very clearly mutants, almost in a Dead Space kind of way, but Jill even refers to them once as "zombies," at one point.) Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a mystery, but it sucked me right in, even though not everything made total sense. I thought it was a good mystery, even though it does have a couple "really?" moments.

The chapters have you constantly hopping between Jill in the present, and other members of the BSAA either concurrently or flashbacks. Jill has persistent ammo levels, maps, and weapons mods and max-ammo expansions she can find. The weapon mods can be equipped into your weapons at benches, and added and removed at the benches whenever you want. They're stuff that makes your guns better, and the harder you look for them, the more powerful and unique ones you'll find (more damage, more rate of fire, more stopping power, more crits, fire more bullets with one trigger press, etc.). Also, if you look really hard, you can even find extra, more powerful guns. Though not necessarily always more powerful. Usually just balanced in a different way. The other BSAA agents are just one-offs though. Even if you pick back up with them at a later time, their ammo and items will be reset. It's pretty fun, regardless and serves to keep the pacing up and the environments fresh.

The gameplay is a 3rd person shooter horror experience. I hesitate to call it "survival horror," because the original games really had an emphasis on conserving ammo and picking and choosing your battles, where this game really doesn't. I blasted everything I came across in the face, and I usually didn't have any trouble running out of ammo. Though the threat of running out of ammo was always there, especially at boss fights. Those things really drain your reserves, in traditional RE fashion. There are a couple of points where its feasible to dodge past an enemy or physically go around him, but the ship you're on has tons of really narrow hallways, and the enemies are right fat fuckers, so usually scooting past them isn't possible. There's also no run mechanic, so you're a right slow bastard. There is a dodge mechanic, but it's total wank. I only ever did it by accident.

This brings me to the controls. Though I had a very fun time, my NEW 3DS XL was constantly fighting back at me. The 2nd joystick just isn't very intuitive to use. Sometimes it's like a D-pad where you just push it down a certain area, and other times you gotta jam it with your nail just to make your fat self turn, especially in the under-water parts. I had a lot of issues realted to aiming, but you should KEEP IN MIND: I never even tried to use the other control methods. Given the litany of positive reviews this got when it came out, which was before the NEW 3DS, I have to imagine that that method might be a bit better. The console versions are slightly different, so if you insist on playing it on a 3DS, I think that an original 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro would be the optimal way to do it, though that is only a guess, as I do not have one.

Finally on the graphics and presentation. In a word: Amazing! For a 3DS game, this has SO much voice acting and FANTASTIC music. The final boss theme and credits theme especially were really ear-catching. The cutscenes are in a fairly low resolution, but still look pretty good. The in game models though, even on the bigger XL screen, look great. They look almost like a PS2 or a Gamecube game they're so good. This has to be one of the best looking games on 3DS, even now.

Verdict: Highly recommended. If you want a seriously different experience from the normal 3DS game, this is your ticket. It's a fantastic 3rd-person shooter, and control gripes aside, I was still loving the crap out of it. I'm thinking of even buying the Wii U version just because I wanna see the game in HD (and play Raid Mode with a friend, which I have not tried yet).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:19 am

:lol: PartridgeSenpai, that review made me laugh multiple times. I know it would be a ton of work for you, but I hope you'll consider making a master list of your beaten games and linking back to your posts on them. I'd love to revisit what you've written.

01. MagMax (NES)
02. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (GEN) [2-player]
03. Sonic Spinball (GEN)*
04. Sonic Spinball (GEN)* [complete]
05. Comix Zone (GEN)*
06. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
07. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project (NES)
08. WCW World Championship Wrestling (NES)
09. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
11. Wario Land: Shake It! (Wii)
12. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (GEN) [2-player]*
14. Gunstar Heroes (GEN)
15. Columns III: Revenge of Columns (GEN)
16. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
17. The Legend of Zelda (NES) -- Summer Games Challenge
18. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB) -- Summer Games Challenge
19. Bases Loaded II (NES) -- Summer Games Challenge

20. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) -- Summer Games Challenge

Here's another white whale I've been putting off for decades. I first encountered this game at a cousin's house, and it became one of my go-to carts during holiday visits (the other one was Spy vs. Spy). I didn't get very far, of course, as I had to start a new save file every year, but I never really minded.

Sometime later I borrowed a copy from one of my best friends and gave it a serious go. Getting the six coins was a piece of cake, but that final castle was IMPOSSIBLE. I have this very distinct memory of being in the passenger seat of our old family car and trying again and again to get through this level and failing miserably. I would give up that day and blame my failure on one particular jump for years.

So, this summer I folded my husband's Game Boy Advance SP into my purse for a plane ride, decided to start a new file on the same cart I'd borrowed from my friend so long ago (my abandoned save was still there, taunting me with an incomplete number 24 on it), and... I beat it within a few hours. And you know what? That jump that has been haunting me all these years? It wasn't there! I have no idea what game I'm thinking of, or if my memories of 6 Golden Coins has just gotten warped over time, but... yeah. Wario's castle does indeed ramp up the bullshit, and even at thirty years of age I was getting seriously aggravated at it, but it wasn't really that bad. I don't know what my issue was back in the day -- except that I did have limited patience with Mario games.

I'm glad to have this one done. I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I did as a kid, but I did enjoy the legit nostalgia factor I got from it.

* = replay

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:38 am

D'awww, thank you so much, Key-Glyph *///*
I didn't really intend it to be particularly funny, but I guess that's just how I write Xp. I will try and make one of those big, listy things wot you guys have like. I just gotta figure out how to get those url's to specific posts first.

I always remember 6 Golden Coins as the game that made me glad I never grew up with an original Game Boy. That was the first game I tried on an original Game Boy, as I had grown up with a GBA or some variant there-of, and it was SO blurry. When I got to Wario's Castle, the solid-black background just made it totally impossible for me to see where I was going Xp.

EDIT: I sussed it!
Partridge Senpai's 2016 Beaten List
1. Tales of Vesperia
2. SNK Vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash 2: Expanded Edition
3. Toro! Let's Party!
4. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
5. Ghost Trick
6. Shining Force: EXA
7. Fire Emblem: Awakening
8. New Super Mario Bros. U
9. New Luigi U
10. Riviera: The Promised Land
11. (Dragon Quest) Mori Mori Slime 3
12. Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
13. Yoshi's New Island
14. Yoshi's Island (repeat)
15. Super Back to the Future II
16. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
17. Binary Domain
18. Star Fox Assault
19. Chibi-Robo Park Patrol
20. Scurge: The Hive
21. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
22. Yoshi's Woolly World
23. BOXBOY!
24. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
25. Mafia II
26. Gears of War
27. Halo 3
28. Tales of Graces f
29. Tales of Graces f : Lineages & Legacies
30. DeathSmiles
31. Dishonored
32. Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall DLC
33. Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches DLC
34. Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
35. Tales of Symphonia
36. Ninja Smasher
37. Samba De Amigo
38. Mario & Luigi 4: Dream Adventure
39. Alien on the Run
40. Resident Evil Revelations
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I was still loving the crap out of it. I'm thinking of even buying the Wii U version just because I wanna see the game in HD

Don't forget about:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:44 am

Exhuminator wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I was still loving the crap out of it. I'm thinking of even buying the Wii U version just because I wanna see the game in HD

Don't forget about:

I will probably eventaully play RER 2, but given that I don't have that now, and do have RE4 now, that will likely be the next on my RE hit-list. Plus, I've already seen a playthrough of Revelations 2, and those horrible invisible fly things scare the piss outta me! ;A;
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:15 am

I forgot you haven't played RE4 yet. Yeah, absolutely make that a priority.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming