Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Exhuminator Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm

dsheinem wrote:Are you familiar with http://howlongtobeat.com/ ?

A little bit...

http://howlongtobeat.com/user.php?n=Exh ... ompleted=1
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by dsheinem Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Are you familiar with http://howlongtobeat.com/ ?

A little bit...

http://howlongtobeat.com/user.php?n=Exh ... ompleted=1


:lol:
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Sarge Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:45 pm

MrPopo wrote:Did you ever play the Witch Hunt DLC or the Legacy DLC from the previous games? If you did, how would you say Trespasser compares to them?

I think I did Witch Hunt, but not Legacy. But I remember almost nothing about it, it's been so long. I played through the entirety of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, and that was really meaty and substantial. I'm wanting to say it took me about twenty hours to get through that content... but then again, memory is failing me!

Trespasser... feels more necessary to set things up story-wise. But at the same time, I don't think, given the length and the overall linearity of the content (not necessarily an issue, but I'll bring it up), that it's worth the $15. If you see it on sale, I'd go for it, otherwise I'd go looking up some of the endgame stuff on YouTube.

Now that I've looked up the Legacy DLC, that explains why I didn't remember Corypheus. I kept thinking, "I don't really remember this dude." Well, now I know why, I never bought that DLC! :P

ExedExes wrote:It's difficult, it's got confusing levels (fire the guy who designed Peloponnesus, Crete, and Phrygia!), it makes you grind for exorbitant amounts of money for no good reason (what does a god need with olives anyway?), there's cheap hits and deaths abound, but for some odd reason, I can say I enjoyed every minute of it. This is a true highlight in my NES gaming.

I will also recommend the interview linked above. Infinity was a developer that nobody probably ever heard of except for this game.

Glad you finished it! I don't think you'd be able to fire the guy, though, I'm almost sure this was effectively the husband-wife duo and the sound guy. It's actually pretty impressive considering how small the team was. I know you say you like it, but how do you think it stacks up to Zelda II?

As for my own beating stuff... I took down StarTropics. I have really fond memories of the game, given that it was a birthday present one year. Not a surprise, either, I got to pick it. It's a lot of fun, even if the controls are a little ornery. They're quite precise once you get them down, but there's definitely an adjustment period. There are a few troll rooms, too, where you can't avoid dying... but there's not too many, so I can deal with it. The last area tends to be really rough. It was easier since I started to remember some of the tricks, but it's still tough stuff. The last boss, though, I took down the first go. Can't complain about that! I think I remembered more from that fight than anything, because it gave me fits back in the day.

And just for you, Exhuminator: I figure it's about a 4-5 hour game. A bit more without prior knowledge, though, because you're going to die a bit the first few runs.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22604
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by MrPopo Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Sarge wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Did you ever play the Witch Hunt DLC or the Legacy DLC from the previous games? If you did, how would you say Trespasser compares to them?

I think I did Witch Hunt, but not Legacy. But I remember almost nothing about it, it's been so long. I played through the entirety of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, and that was really meaty and substantial. I'm wanting to say it took me about twenty hours to get through that content... but then again, memory is failing me!

Trespasser... feels more necessary to set things up story-wise. But at the same time, I don't think, given the length and the overall linearity of the content (not necessarily an issue, but I'll bring it up), that it's worth the $15. If you see it on sale, I'd go for it, otherwise I'd go looking up some of the endgame stuff on YouTube.

Now that I've looked up the Legacy DLC, that explains why I didn't remember Corypheus. I kept thinking, "I don't really remember this dude." Well, now I know why, I never bought that DLC! :P

Yeah, that was the main thing I was looking for. Is it DLC that just adds some areas that are fun, or is it a major story hook? Because the latter means I want to pick it up.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Sarge Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:52 pm

I'd go for it if it goes on special. It really just explains more with Solas and lets you decide what happens to the Inquisition. I don't regret playing through the content, though.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Exhuminator Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Sarge wrote:And just for you, Exhuminator: I figure it's about a 4-5 hour game.

Nice, that's good to know. Gives me a contrast versus the official HLTB time of 8 hours. I've become a little addicted to keeping track of game time for whatever reason.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:And just for you, Exhuminator: I figure it's about a 4-5 hour game.

Nice, that's good to know. Gives me a contrast versus the official HLTB time of 8 hours. I've become a little addicted to keeping track of game time for whatever reason.

I am too. Even if I intend to play a game no matter how long it is, I HAVE to know the average time on HLTB.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by ExedExes Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Sarge wrote:I know you say you like it, but how do you think it stacks up to Zelda II?

As for my own beating stuff... I took down StarTropics. I have really fond memories of the game, given that it was a birthday present one year. Not a surprise, either, I got to pick it. It's a lot of fun, even if the controls are a little ornery. They're quite precise once you get them down, but there's definitely an adjustment period. There are a few troll rooms, too, where you can't avoid dying... but there's not too many, so I can deal with it. The last area tends to be really rough. It was easier since I started to remember some of the tricks, but it's still tough stuff. The last boss, though, I took down the first go. Can't complain about that! I think I remembered more from that fight than anything, because it gave me fits back in the day.

Wasn't this shorter than Zelda II? I don't think you have to mindlessly grind as much there as you had to in Battle of Olympus. I found a good, fast spot to get those 160 olives near the end of the game just outside Athena's temple in Attica, with the healing fountain nearby.

Congrats on Startropics. I've beaten that game a few thousand times, I even videotaped me beating all the bosses including Zoda back in 1998. I'm working on the sequel now, that I can get back to since Olympus is done.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:57 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Sarge wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Did you ever play the Witch Hunt DLC or the Legacy DLC from the previous games? If you did, how would you say Trespasser compares to them?

I think I did Witch Hunt, but not Legacy. But I remember almost nothing about it, it's been so long. I played through the entirety of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, and that was really meaty and substantial. I'm wanting to say it took me about twenty hours to get through that content... but then again, memory is failing me!

Trespasser... feels more necessary to set things up story-wise. But at the same time, I don't think, given the length and the overall linearity of the content (not necessarily an issue, but I'll bring it up), that it's worth the $15. If you see it on sale, I'd go for it, otherwise I'd go looking up some of the endgame stuff on YouTube.

Now that I've looked up the Legacy DLC, that explains why I didn't remember Corypheus. I kept thinking, "I don't really remember this dude." Well, now I know why, I never bought that DLC! :P

Yeah, that was the main thing I was looking for. Is it DLC that just adds some areas that are fun, or is it a major story hook? Because the latter means I want to pick it up.


It's been a while since I played DA:O, but I remember feeling like the ENTIRE expansion was far too easy and nowhere near as compellingly or as well written as the main game. As a result, I was sooo sad that Witch Hunt was as short as it was, because it was written better than all of Awakening. Just my 2 cents.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14370
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Xeogred Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Never really thought of registering on howlongtobeat, but I have gotten a little OCD about checking it out for most games now. It irks me a lot when games or save slots don't keep track of time, haha.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests