Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Really? How does the mobile version compare to the SNES version?

Well sir, the SNES version was developed by Titus Software. That probably explains enough without further elaboration. :lol:

https://youtu.be/1dJXgJ1c4vY?t=3m33s
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
30. Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC)
31. Dishonored DLC The Knife of Dunwall (PC)
32. Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches (PC)
33. Metro Last Light Redux (PC)
34. Doom 3 BFG Edition* (PC)
35. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
36. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil* BFG (PC)
37. Doom 3 The Lost Mission* BFG (PC)
38. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3)
39. Ultimate Doom* (PC)

Another UV run of vanilla Doom down. I have a soft spot for Knee-Deep in the Dead playing Shareware Doom to death back in the day, but I admittedly have issues with some of the other episodes. The Shores of Hell has a few of those "wtf do I do next" kind of levels around and just some wacky goofy looking level design and texturing going on at times. Inferno is very solid though. The Ultimate Doom finale always pisses me off, Thy Flesh Consumed. The first map is tricky but in a fair and challenging way, ammo management is really tough here and it's a very claustrophobic stage. But E4M2: Perfect Hatred and E4M3: Sever the Wicked are rageworthy levels for me, they are so brutal and annoying. After that I'd say I find E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly to be very annoying as well, with lava pits and required warps with a delayed elevator, so you're basically forced to take damage numerous times with only one or two bio suits around. But after that the rest of the levels are a laughable cake walk in the final stretch and even start to feel really lazy. I do like E4M7 and E4M8, but they're super easy in comparison.

Doom is probably one of my favorite games of all time and maybe even top 5 material, but I guess I am coming to peace with the realization that it's probably Doom 2 specially that I vastly prefer (started up a UV run of this too the other day as I was frustrated in one of Doom's levels). The super shotgun, the doubled monster roster, and the much larger maps and rooms definitely change it up a lot. Not to mention all the megawads for the most part use 2 as the base. I have beaten Plutonia as well (one of the hardest), TNT, Community Chest Packs 1-3, Hell Revealed 1-2, Memento Mori 1-2, and my current favorite, Alien Vendetta.

I love vanilla Doom 1, but I can't deny that I do get a little bored with it sometimes and there are some stinker levels and weird things in there. At the same time I love that it's a different flavor than Doom 2 despite having the same paint. But yeah Doom 2 and all the megawads out there are king and a recipe for ultimate comfort food gaming for me, stuff I could play forever.

PS I'm playing via Doom 3 BFG edition but there are definitely some issues playing with a gamepad. For one, you can't map the d-pad at all to anything, and the ONLY way to switch weapons is cycling via the shoulder buttons. I noticed in Doom 2 they have the super shotgun in between the chainsaw and your firsts, wtf? Not after the normal shotgun? Thought that was the usual. L3 was also run but if you map Doom 3's commands some of them do carry over to the old games, so I mapped run to left trigger and it's a lot better. Turn speed is pretty chunky too. So I'm kind of playing with a handicap haha, but controllers are convenient.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Dishonored (360)
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall DLC (360)
Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches DLC (360)

And so my replay of Dishonored and my first playthrough of its DLC expansions is complete. I think my views on the main game have been fairly thoroughly covered via other threads, so my thoughts here will focus solely on the DLC's.

At first, I was tempted to say that the 2 DLC's together could've just been Dishonored 2, but after playing them, I've changed my thoughts on that. I did total ghost & no kill (neither humans, nor dogs (though many rats and river crusts fell at my grenades)) runs of all 3 games, meaning the pacing of my playstyle didn't change between expansions, and even then the main game was like 10 or 15 hours longer. While I can say that Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches were probably originally intended to be 1 DLC expansion instead of 2 (you can even import your status from the end of KoD into the start of tBW), in terms of length of content provided, it is just an expansion, however good it may be.

Each DLC has 3 missions, two of which in each have huge, brand new maps, and one which is a reused map from the first game which is a much shorter mission. Though, even those reused maps manage to keep things interesting with different modifiers, enemies, time of day, or letting you go to parts of the map that were sealed off the first time, effectively meaning they're new areas (however small). The new maps are fantastic, huge, and full of the same goodies, story, and verticality present in the main game. Additionally, Daud has all new activatable powers (his passive unlocks are largely the same though) that makes him play fairly (not majorly) differently than Corvo, forcing you to take different approaches even if the map may be similar/the same.

Verdict: If you enjoyed Dishonored, then tKoW and tBW are fantastic additions to the great main game, and are very much worth playing. The GotY edition with all the DLC is only like 10 or so bucks at Gamestahp, or you can probably get it for like 5 on Steam. It's totally worth it. Highly recommended.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC

The original Torchlight was when a bunch of ex-Blizzard devs said "hey, let's remake Diablo with everything we learned from Diablo II!" And it was a lot of fun; the more focused quest of Diablo let you focus on murdering tons of dudes and getting phat lewt while the skill system from Diablo II made combat much more fun than Diablo's, and then the additional tweaks they added like enchantments and pets helped the game have some unique flare of its own.

Torchlight II was when those same devs said "hey, let's remake vanilla Diablo II, ignoring everything we learned from the expansion and subsequent patches". If Torchlight was Diablo 1 + 1/2 then Torchlight II is Diablo 2 - 1/10. The only interesting thing the game does is the Charge mechanic. Everything else is a step backwards from the Diablo II you can play on Battle.net today.

Torchlight II replaces the skill tree of Diablo II with three skill pages. There are no prerequisites other than level, and each page consists of 7 active skills and 3 passive skills. There are no synergies, which means if your build wants a top end skill then every point in a lower level substitute is utterly wasted by the time you get the high end skill. Skills get upgraded every five levels; sometimes this ends up being a pretty major upgrade that has additional effects but many times it's just "you'll notice a decent bump in performance every five levels".

Combat feels very rocket tag. I played the Engineer and the only reason I wasn't dying left and right was constantly spamming my energy shield to keep it up. I have no idea how I might have gotten through the game one of the other non-tank melee classes/builds. Many enemies have attributes that makes fighting them frustrating or taking way too long. And most gear was intensely unexciting to pick up. They replaced the enchanting system of Torchlight 1 that had a large and larger chance of wiping everything out for every enchantment with a system where you could only apply two enchants to an item that would be randomly selected by the vendor (and could then disenchant if you didn't like your rolls).

The Charge system is the only feature that's both new and interesting. As you fight you gain units of Charge which can then power up certain abilities. For my Energy Shield I got a major increase in the shield's health. For my rank one attack sill it would deal significantly increased amage for each unit of Charge. Some skills expend all Charge while others only expend a single unit. The mechanic forces you to think more about how you use your skills; is it better to get a lower effect sooner or a better effect less often?

I've had this game since it came out and it just turned into a giant slog to get through. If you consider Diablo II the be-all end-all of these style of games then you might give this a try. But I'd recommend Diablo III over it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

MrPopo wrote:But I'd recommend Diablo III over it.

Pre or post patches?

Everyone claims III is like a completely different game now. Been meaning to replay it someday.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Xeogred wrote:
MrPopo wrote:But I'd recommend Diablo III over it.

Pre or post patches?

Everyone claims III is like a completely different game now. Been meaning to replay it someday.

I thought it was very good at launch, and became great post-pacthing.

That said, though I had given Diablo and Diablo II many an attempt, I could never get more than a few hours into either of them before losing interest back in the day. When I played the Torchlight series it was after I had played through Diablo III (which I'd rank high amongst my all-time favorite games) and I thoroughly enjoyed both games (especially Torchlight II). It's a shame you didn't dig T2, Popo. Maybe if you'd played as another class...

Also, your post reminded me that I should play through Diablo III/RoS again this year.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I played Diablo II to death back in the day, then played two different mods to death. So T2 not bringing much new to the table is probably what ruined it for me. Conversely, you were still pretty much a blank slate for the game so I totally can see why you enjoyed it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

MrPopo wrote:I played Diablo II to death back in the day, then played two different mods to death. So T2 not bringing much new to the table is probably what ruined it for me. Conversely, you were still pretty much a blank slate for the game so I totally can see why you enjoyed it.

You probably wouldn't dig Path of Exile either, because that is another game by ex-Diablo II devs which is basically exactly Diablo II.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 71

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (13 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17
67. Epic Dumpster Bear - Wii U - June 20
68. B3: Game Expo for Bees - Wii U - June 21

July (3 Games Beaten)
69. Raiden V - Xbox One - July 16
70. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U - July 16
71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23

71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23

This is a long fucking game. This might be the longest game I've ever played in terms of straight main storyline because the way the game is set up, there's not really side stuff you can skip, at least not from the perspective of saving time. The only thing that really changes how long it takes you to finish the game is based on how much grinding you do, how slowly you read dialogue, and how much time you spending dying against and retrying boss battles.

That's not to say that it's a bad game, though. On the contrary, this game keeps the Shin Megami Tensei series' record of excellence. I, personally, much preferred Persona 4, but Persona 3 is still one of the premier JRPGs on the Playstation 2 (and that's saying something), and it's not a game that any PS2 owner should miss.

You play as the main character as a junior at Gekkokan High School. Then magical bad shit happens at midnight and oh no, let's spend the next 100 hours fighting demons or whatever. Along the way, you discover the magic of friendship and use it to beat the unbeatable monster demon god whatever thing. Pretty standard JRPG plot for the most part. What makes Persona 3 interesting (as is the case with most of the SMT series) are the details to the plot and the dark, foreboding atmosphere that permeates the whole storyline all the while juxtaposed against the extremely average and generally happy backdrop of high school.

The combat is pretty similar to Persona 4 (that's the only other game in the Persona sub-series that I've played, so most of my comparisons go back to that), though it felt a little less refined in my opinion. That's not surprising given that Persona 4 was the sequel to this game, but I felt I'd point it out in case, like me, anyone's first exposure to the Persona sub-series was Persona 4 Golden on the Vita. What really makes this game shine, however, is not the combat or the dungeon crawling (200+ floors of repetitive tower got REALLY old REALLY fast for me) but the character development and the social links that you form in the game. It's especially great if you like waifus. You're only supposed to have one waifu, I think, but I ended up with two (almost three). I just waited until one social link was 10 before going after the next. By the end of the game, I ended up with two romantic interests at 10, one at 9, one at 7, and one at 6. #pimpin #donthatetheplayerhatethegame #yoloswagginsandthefellowshipofthebling

If you play FES (as opposed to the original PS2 release or Persona 3 Portable on PSP), you get the epilogue chapter "The Answer." I played through this, as well, though by the time I finally finished the main game ("The Journey"), I was beyond sick of it. It's definitely not a bad epilogue, but it definitely isn't up to par with the rest of the game in terms of story. For the most part, it gave the overall story some finality and tied up a few loose ends that were left at the end of the main game, but it also felt a bit like a sequel that really shouldn't have been made but was rushed out for the sake of money. You know what I mean? Like Halo 4 or Bioshock 2 - it's not like they're an affront to goodness, but the previous games wrapped up the story well, and you're really not doing the game any favors by adding a continued storyline.

Anyway, I know I've been a bit critical of it here, but that's just because it's SO easy to find a million and one things that are amazing about Persona 3, so I wanted to show some of what I felt were negatives about it. It absolutely IS an amazing game, and I think every JRPG/SMT fan needs to play it at least one, be it on PS2 or PSP (I, personally, recommend FES on PS2). All in all, though, I thought Persona 4 was better and am SUPER hyped for Persona 5 next year.
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You, sir, will appreciate this animated and subtitled rendition of one of the Persona 3 drama CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z9mbhsol4