Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I'm glad someone else enjoys the newer Splatterhouse! Especially because it has all the old ones bundled in it, it's SUCH a worthwhile game :D (Also the arm-ripping power-up is OP as heeeell).

I'm super psyched to give Spec Ops: The Line a go now. I picked it up in the last 4 for 20 deal that Gamestahp had, and that was the only one I was kinda middling on. Now I don't regret the purchase even a little :3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

dsheinem wrote:Spec Ops is one of the most compelling games from the past generation, easily. Now that you've played it, you should read the excellent "Killing is Harmless" by Brendan Keogh. A short but worthwhile read: https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Harmless ... B00B9P2WP6

Nice, that looks interesting! I'll give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'm glad someone else enjoys the newer Splatterhouse! Especially because it has all the old ones bundled in it, it's SUCH a worthwhile game :D (Also the arm-ripping power-up is OP as heeeell).

I'm super psyched to give Spec Ops: The Line a go now. I picked it up in the last 4 for 20 deal that Gamestahp had, and that was the only one I was kinda middling on. Now I don't regret the purchase even a little :3

Wait until you've got a whole day to devote to it. It's a short game (roughly 6 or 7 hours, I believe?), but it's the kind of game that you should play in one sitting. It's one of the least fun games I've ever played (because you spend 6 hours realizing that you're a heartless piece of shit), but damn, is it amazing.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 60

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (5 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6

60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6

I had trouble sleeping last night (mix of too much caffeine too late and some hamburger I *probably* should have cooked or thrown out a few days ago), so I was up in the early hours of the morning playing 1943 just kind of for the lulz, and I managed to get to the "false ending" after level 17 before I died. That made me think "You know, I can beat this. If I keep at it (and use my NES advantage for the turbo fire and a more arcade feel), I can totally beat this."

Here's the NES version I played this morning

Thus began my 5+ hours of (nearly) uninterrupted gameplay. Now I'm a HUGE fan of the arcade original, especially 1943 Kai. Every time I see it in a multicade in a bar or restaurant, I spend at least a couple dollars playing it, and I frequently play 10 or 20 minutes of my NES copy here and there, so I'm no stranger to 1943, and it always felt like one of the easier vertical shooters on the NES to me (though that may be due to my relative familiarity with it). Inevitably, though, I always make a careless mistake and bite it. Finally, however, through perseverance, dumb luck, and turbo fire, I managed to conquer one of my favorite shumps this morning.

Here's the arcade original.

This isn't about my conquest, however; I want this to be a glowing recommendation for those of you (if there are any) who haven't played 1943. It's not an obscure title by any means, and Capcom isn't exactly a small-time developer, but it's a damn good shooter worth playing. It's also fitting since today is the 72nd anniversary of the D-Day invasion (wrong side of the world and wrong enemy empire, but hey, at least it's the same war, right?).

Obviously, being an arcade port from the late 80s, the arcade version is far superior in every way, but what makes the NES version stand out is just what a faithful and competent port it is. It doesn't suffer from the weaker hardware; Capcom did an excellent job of making it work on the NES. The controls are extremely tight and responsive, the game looks great, and it sounds fantastic. The only complaint I have is that there tends to be some pretty big slow down in the boss battles against battleships when there's a LOT going on at one time on the screen, but if you've played older shmups you probably know that slow down can be as much a boon as a bane.

You start the game with a standard two shot weapon which (unless you're a cheeky dick waffle who uses turbo fire) needs to be repeatedly fired. You can upgrade that to a number of other weapons, my favorite being the shotgun (which is REALLY useful for defense since it can destroy enemy bullets), the four way shot, the rocket launcher (not sure if that's what it really is, but it shoots giant bullets that tear through enemies, so that's what I'm calling it), and my favorite - the cat laser. It's two huge laser beams that go through enemies and damage everything its path, and the pick up sprite is - for some reason - a cat.

There's not a whole lot else to say about it. Each level is divided into three stages - fighting planes in the air, fighting planes and ships near the water, and the boss phase. The game has 24 levels - each one taking approximately 5 or 10 minutes, I'd guess, to finish if you don't die - but you get a "false" ending after level 17 where it says something to the effect of "Yay, you destroyed the enemy! The war is over! Oh shit, nevermind, here's their real fleet." The seven more levels. Great game. Go play it.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Awesome write-up. No mention of the charge shot, though! That thing is awesome, kinda like the Mega Buster.

Definitely one of my favorite shooters.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:Awesome write-up. No mention of the charge shot, though! That thing is awesome, kinda like the Mega Buster.

I forgot about it. :lol: Using turbo fire made me unable to use the charge shot, so it slipped my mind.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Great review, Elkin.

forgive me, senpai, for i have failed you

:lol:

Dude! No worries! Your great reviews more than make up for it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
2. Puzzle Link (NGPC)(Puzzle)
3. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)(RPG)
4. Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War (PC)(Strategy)
5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC)(RPG)
6. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC)(RPG)
7. Drakkhen (SNES)(RPG)
8. Flight of the Amazon Queen (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)

9. Shadowgrounds: Survivor (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
10. Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)(RPG)
11. BioShock (PC)(FPS)
12. Jeopardy! Sports Edition (SNES)(Game Show Sim)
13. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (PC)(FPS)
14. Thief Gold (PC)(Stealth)
15. Call of Duty 2 (PC)(FPS)

I'll be breaking this into two sections in spoilers to talk about the two games I beat over the weekend.

Thief Gold
In talking with other fans of this game, I've discovered a variety of ways everyone seems to play it. Some like to use their tricks and traps to get through everything as our hero, Garrett. Others want to ghost it like Swayze. Then there is how I generally played it. I play thug Garrett, who walked around with a blackjack and pretty much beat everyone into submission. Guards, civilians, men, women, whatever I was faced with, I'd smack it upside the head and then put the body somewhere inconspicuous. In some cases, there were mountains of bodies. Thug Garrett gets the job done, folks. The other nice thing about playing the game as a blackguard is that whenever a monster showed up, I had no qualms with slitting it from gullet to groin. This happened a lot over the course of the game, but I'll get to it in a bit.

Here's the setup: you're in a medieval/steampunk world where a bit of magic remains. A Catholic Church wannabe call the Hammerites rules the day and focuses on strident, militant faith and construction. A secretive group called the Keepers maintain the balance of the world, ensuring things never get too bad from the shadows. Thieves guilds and criminal organizations run at night, while merchants, peasants, and city guards populate the streets. And then there are the mages, who reshape reality with their terrible elemental spells. Let me tell you from experience, folks, never trust a wizard. They are nothing but miserable piles of secrets. Anyone with the power to shape reality also has the power to unmake it. And beyond the realm of men, there are terrible things which scurry in the darkness. Enter our hero, Garrett, former Keeper and now master thief, occasionally working for himself or for the highest bidder. Garrett robs from the rich and gives to himself. It starts out as a fairly straightforward game, with you breaking into a mansion to swipe a relic and then having to break your buddy out of prison. A few levels in, however, things just go to pot. You take a job to steal a sword from a mansion and soon discover the house is owned by the wizard Constantine. From there, everything goes to hell.

This is where the game really takes off in my opinion, as you really start to learn about just how horrible and terrifying this world can be. Yes, levels steadily grow larger in scope, impressively so, but the addition of the monstrosities and level designs you will see once magic gets involved is...well, it's unrivaled for what I can think of at the time. After all, this is a 1998 release, so I mentally compare it to Half-Life, only I have a lot of really interesting gear to help me get around and tools to help me fight.

I like Thief. It does what it does, and it does it damn well. Sound works out flawlessly. Light is generally easy to understand, though it's sometimes a bit touchy in certain areas. Enemy AI is well handled for the time, though occasionally I did get frustrated with how things were able to spot me(they operate just as much on sound as they do on light). But I realized I really liked Thief relatively late in the game, when I found myself in a level packed to the gills with the undead that I had not prepared for. Out of nearly every tool I had to effectively fight them, I was forced into pure stealth and observation through narrow corridors surrounded by shambling but deadly monstrosities. Slowly I made my way from room to room, building to building, gathering up just enough material to take out an enemy and then move on to the next, hoping I'd either be able to hide and wait it out or come up with some way to fight or avoid. In one narrow room, I resorted to chucking bottles and plates into distant corners to draw a moaning Hammerite skeleton off my scent. Getting to experience the game like that, with limited gear and only able to rely on my wits, really brought out the challenge and the fun.

Yes, things get weird in the later levels. The Return to the Haunted Chapel was most definitely my favorite of the lot, but by that point the game is just throwing stuff at you, and it is creative. Monkey people, exploding frogs, insect men, flying balls of fire... Heck, the insect men are probably my favorite thing in the game. They're tough as nails, but the way they move is absolutely flawless. You instantly think, "Yes, that is how a humanoid praying mantis would walk," which is both a bizarre thought but highly accurate. It's obvious that a lot of care went into these things.

Anyway, I succeeded in saving the day in the end. It took me about 19 hours in total, which means I averaged over an hour per level. That's actually less than I thought it would be, because later levels are huge and take some time to get around. The gear you get over the course of the game works well though, and I was still finding new ways to use things in the final level and still never figured out the best ways to use others. Not once did I resort to the mines for instance, nor did I ever use a noisemaker arrow. I kind of wish I had, but the truth is that they didn't fit my playstyle. They might fit yours though. You can play this game in a variety of ways. Which way you prefer does not matter though; what matters is that you just come play this game. Seriously, it's amazing.

Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty was amazing at its time, but I didn't get the chance to experience the sequel upon release. Now, over a decade later, I finally went back. What I discovered was a transition in the series, where it went from being this incredible but at times tense WWII experience to...well, I felt like I was playing a super soldier. CoD2 introduced regenerating health to the series, and while it makes for an interesting change, it also meant that I could hurl myself forward at each encounter and always go in with guns blazing. Yes, each level was often spent running from cover to cover, but I often simply threw caution to the wind. I'd just grab a submachine gun of some type, chuck a grenade or smoke to cover my advance on machine gun nests, and then push forward. This strategy worked. It worked so well that I actually managed to clear the game several hours faster than the average time according to HowLongToBeat.com.

As far as gunplay is concerned, I definitely found I have preferences. My beloved PPSh-41 from the original Call of Duty? It's now so inaccurate I found it damn near useless. While recoil played a major factor in my choice of submachine guns, I discovered I had an easy preference for the Thompson and the MP 40...which is great, because the MP 40 was generally found everywhere. In some levels, depending on my loadout, I'd grab the first one I could find. Once the MP 44 was introduced, I went for those instead. As for rifles, I generally disliked using those. I've been playing FPS long enough to know my weapon preferences, and one is that I am simply not a precision player; I'm no sniper. I prefer things that are volumetric, things that spray or spread through an area, or things that go boom. Shotguns, automatics, flamethrowers, rocket launchers...that kind of thing. The only rifle that I had any real affinity for was the Gewehr, so unless I had to snipe from far enough that I needed a scope, I'd drop whatever I was stuck with. The Gewehr I'd occasionally use to pop a few rounds into a window to make the AI duck before rushing forward...most likely with an MP 40 or Thompson, which I would aim at the enemy's groin and let the recoil bring the barrel up through the body mass.

At the time of release, regenerating health was welcomed, albeit a bit warily. Some reviewers though it was a great change to get rid of the "unrealistic" health bar, but at least one lamented the change that it brought to the series, by making the player into a super soldier. Suddenly there was little reason for caution, because as soon as you reach cover, you're back at full. This made the game extremely easy, as all I had to do was run from cover to cover, use grenades and suppressing fire for cover, flank, and wipe out the foe, all without a hint of caution. I died far more trying to climb down a ladder in a silo near the end of the game(seriously, getting on that ladder was the hardest part of the game. I ended up having to get an NPC to go down and then dropping onto his head and grabbing the ladder that way). The Nazis? Easy. Its ladders that kill.

Frankly, I think it's that lack of need for caution that makes me not like the game nearly as much as the original. That one, I had to weigh my options at times to lean out and figure out the best way to approach. It's a shame that was lost. Plus, since I was able to run all over the maps with general ease, I realized just how linear much of the game really was. Occasionally I'd get maps that were a bit more open with multiple objectives. It's a shame there weren't more of these. I dislike how often I felt like I was being railroaded. I did like that in certain levels it felt like I was fighting back and forth over the same small piece of territory though. I might clear out a house, move on, and then discover the Germans had moved in behind me. That helped it feel a bit more chaotic. Oh, and I also noticed just how obvious it is that the game will not advance unless I press forward. You can't sit and just shoot the enemies to death, you have to press forward. So run, super soldier, run.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Sarge wrote:Awesome write-up. No mention of the charge shot, though! That thing is awesome, kinda like the Mega Buster.

I forgot about it. :lol: Using turbo fire made me unable to use the charge shot, so it slipped my mind.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if turbo fire was more effective in the long run.

Now you've thrown a craving on me to play the game. It's been a long time. My NES Advantage is back home, though, so I might have to just emulate to get the turbo-fire. :)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I, personally, found turbo to be a lot more effective than the charge shot. Same reason that the four shot is my favorite weapon; I do way better with a lot of weak bullets than I do with a few strong ones.