Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I agree that the dungeon design is one of the worst things about Ys II. The palace/sewer section at the end can be infuriating.

It can, but every dungeon is just as bad - the mines at the start are not a good way to introduce people to a new game world, that's for sure.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The dumbest thing about the mines are those hidden rooms that house the iron orb and evil bell. They're pretty much impossible to find without a map, unless you're really into wall-humping.

But yeah, all the Ys I & II ports (with the exception of the SMS and Famicom versions of part I) are essentially using the same maps that were found in the PC-88 originals, thus they tend to feel dated and obtuse within the context of modern gaming.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The dumbest thing about the mines are those hidden rooms that house the iron orb and evil bell. They're pretty much impossible to find without a map, unless you're really into wall-humping.

But yeah, all the Ys I & II ports (with the exception of the SMS and Famicom versions of part I) are essentially using the same maps that were found in the PC-88 originals, thus they tend to feel dated and obtuse within the context of modern gaming.

But you can find them with the light spell, which you just got so you're encouraged to try it.

The one I missed for the longest time was the room on the icy mountain that had the healing cape in it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The dumbest thing about the mines are those hidden rooms that house the iron orb and evil bell. They're pretty much impossible to find without a map, unless you're really into wall-humping.

But you can find them with the light spell, which you just got so you're encouraged to try it.

You're right! Forgot about that. I think the spell is less effective in some of the older ports (Saturn?). Looks like I'll need to go back and replay them.

Yeah that healing cape is tricky. Some versions of Ys II have those footprints near the opening. I shudder to think of how hard the game would be to someone who misses that.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

You're right! Forgot about that. I think the spell is less effective in some of the older ports (Saturn?). Looks like I'll need to go back and replay them.

Yeah that healing cape is tricky. Some versions of Ys II have those footprints near the opening. I shudder to think of how hard the game would be to someone who misses that.

I didn't find it until I'd already reached the Sanctuary. It was pretty tough.

The version I played had the footprints, but I completely missed them.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)

I beat Eternal Poison on the PS2 this afternoon!

This was a really fun game! The game is basically a combination of Fire Emblem and Odin Sphere. The game play is very Fire Emblem like with it being a turn based tactical SRPG. You have a party and units you can recruit to carry you through the game while main characters that are with you no matter what. It's like Odin Sphere in that there are several main characters and they all have their own story that intertwines in an overarching storyline. The setting is really interesting as it has this gothic look to it. Some of the enemies and attacks can be frustrating, but the game was never too difficult. It's a great game if you love SRPG's!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES) (repeat)
7) Mighty Final Fight (repeat)
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (repeat)
9) Monster In My Pocket (repeat)
10) Battle of Olympus

So, I've wanted to finish Battle of Olympus for years. And now I finally have. It's good, but it's not really anywhere near as good as Zelda II. For my money, of the Zelda II-styled triumvirate of it, Battle of Olympus, and Faxanadu, it's probably close to Faxanadu, but I think I prefer it as well. Although it's been years since I actually finished Faxanadu, so it could just be nostalgia talking.

Anyway, it's clear that BoO was heavily inspired by Zelda II, right down to the physics. And taking from that DNA makes it a pretty solid game, even if the maps get a bit confusing, and some of the dungeons (hello, Crete) are ridiculously complicated. It's pretty obtuse overall, and as someone else mentioned before, it's prone to huge difficulty spikes and also has several spots where you have to grind for money.

I'm glad I played it, but it will still be Zelda II that's first on the docket when I replay these games.

Oh, right, there is a great interview/article that Jeremy Parish did on the game, I highly recommend it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I'm glad I played it, but it will still be Zelda II that's first on the docket when I replay these games.

Of Zelda 2 inspired NES/FC games, I think this one might be the worst I spent time with:

This one is decent though:

I put some time into Battle of Olympus a few years ago. I remember being put off by the lack of balancing in the game's difficulty. It was also less linear than I'd wanted.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would have done better with it if I had made some notes and maps. I hate dungeons with multiple doors and wraparound screens, and Crete does this quite a bit. Phrygia is actually pretty easy compared to that area, there's a sort of logic to it that doesn't even really need a map. The crystal ball thing revealing secret areas also wasn't the greatest idea in the world.

EDIT: Oh, good job beating Bloodrayne: Betrayal, MrPopo. That's the only game in the series I've bothered with, and it was a lot of fun. Definitely tough, although I ended up finding a nice rhythm at the end. I almost always got the "Worm Chow" grade, though. Definitely a game for speedrunners on that front.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, there was one level I actually got a C rating on, but the rest was Worm Chow.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.