Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2016 Beaten List
1-50

51. Axiom Verge
52. Otomedius Excellent
53. JUMP Ultimate Stars
54. Dynasty Warriors 3
55. Fire Emblem if: Byakuya (Birthright)
56. Fire Emblem if: Anya (Conquest)
57. Fire Emblem if: Invisible Kingdom (Revelations)
58. Stubbs the Zombie
59. Mori Mori Slime
60. Metal Slug 7
60. Dream Mix TV: World Fighters
61. Youkai Watch
62. Legacy of Ys: Book 1
63. Legacy of Ys: Book II
64. Blur
65. Limbo

66. Overcooked: Gourmet Edition (PS4)

Far and away one of my favorite couch co-op games ever now, this game looked like such amazing fun the first time I saw it streamed, and it definitely didn't disappoint.

Overcooked is a game about 2 to 4 chefs in a kitchen, chopping, fetching, and preparing ingredients into requested dishes. However, the twist is that the 2 to 4 chefs are you and 1 to 3 friends (in single player mode, you toggle between operating two different chefs). As with most co-op games, this is most optimally enjoyed with a full compliment of people, and as I had that, I had a blast! There are only two necessary commands as well: Picking up/putting down, and operating (be it the fire extinguisher, the flamethrower, etc.), so even gamers of lower skill can still meaningfully contribute to the cause with a little practice.

For reference, the group I played through with was with two veteran gamers (one of whom was myself), and two very newbie gamers, and we were still able to 3-star the whole main campaign. There is also a button to launch yourself forwards, but we got by just fine with only the veterans using it, as it usually made things too complicated for the newbies. You can even play 4-players with only two controllers, with each player sharing a controller, and each player just using R/L 1,2 and 3 along with the joysticks to play. We tried it for a fair bit, and it actually works pretty well, although everyone having their own controller is probably most optimal. My only complaint about the game is that it's probably impossible to 3-star the main campaign on your own, as a lot of the later levels really require at least two brains working at once, if not 3 or 4 most optimally.

The paid DLC levels pack is INSANELY difficult as well. You'll need to have people who really know what they're doing, and even then it'll probably take a lot of tries to 3-star all of those levels. The free holiday DLC, however, we found to be a very fun romp, especially once you get to the flame-thrower cooked turkey levels XD

Verdict: Highly recommended. If you have someone who you can play this with, I can't recommend it enough! If you can only ever really play games by yourself, however, I'd probably give it a pass until you can secure a friend for a day to really give it the shot it deserves.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Double Dragon III in the arcade is straight up trash. Did this single-handedly kill the series? Probably not, but it sure couldn't have helped.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Sarge wrote:Double Dragon III in the arcade is straight up trash. Did this single-handedly kill the series? Probably not, but it sure couldn't have helped.

It sucks.

Did you guys know DD4 is coming out in 2017?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I want to find the Amiga CD Battletoads.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

noiseredux wrote:Did you guys know DD4 is coming out in 2017?

Saw that. Hope it's better than Neon; that kinda sucked.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I loved Neon, even if it wasn't really "Double Dragon". I even went through on all three difficulty levels. It really comes into its own a second run, and the last one really forces you to learn the mechanics.

On the other hand, Double Dragon 4... kinda looks terrible. I'm not expecting much at all out of this one.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:I want to find the Amiga CD Battletoads.

Some on craigslist locally had that for sale, but was asking way too much.

I'm trying to track down The Lost Vikings on CD32.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Maybe this makes me a horrible human being, but it seems to me that the arcade Double Dragon games do not seem to deserve the reputation they have. Between the slowdown and the decline in overall quality, I'm just glad they got the attention they did on home consoles.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:I want to find the Amiga CD Battletoads.

Not as expensive as I expected tbh
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

marurun wrote:Maybe this makes me a horrible human being, but it seems to me that the arcade Double Dragon games do not seem to deserve the reputation they have. Between the slowdown and the decline in overall quality, I'm just glad they got the attention they did on home consoles.

It's really the first game that really made its reputation, and it was an absolute pioneer of the genre. That's why it has its reputation. There really wasn't anything close to that caliber at the time. And I still think it's a great game, slowdown and all.

The NES and SNES ended up with the best entries, though. I thought the NES port of the original was good, even if it didn't have co-op. The SMS version did have co-op, but played like garbage. Double Dragon II on NES might be the best in the series, and the NES version of the third game is, to my knowledge, the only version of that game developed in-house at Technos.