Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Sarge »

Thinking of cinematic platformers, I thought Heart of Darkness was a lot of fun, too.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
30. Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC)
31. Dishonored DLC The Knife of Dunwall (PC)
32. Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches (PC)
33. Metro Last Light Redux (PC)
34. Doom 3 BFG Edition* (PC)
35. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
36. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil* BFG (PC)
37. Doom 3 The Lost Mission* BFG (PC)
38. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3)
39. Ultimate Doom* (PC)
40. Devil's Third (WiiU)
41. SOMA (PC)
42. Doom 2* (PC)
43. Gone Home (PC)
44. Metroid Other M (Wii)
45. Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut* (PC)
46. AM2R: Return of Samus (PC)
47. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
48. Metroid Zero Mission* (WiiUVC)
49. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)
50. Odallus: The Dark Call (PC)
51. Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
52. Resident Evil HD* [Chris & Jill] (PS3)
53. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (PS4)
54. Resident Evil Code Veronica X* HD (PS3)
55. Resident Evil 5* [PLATINUM] (PS4)
56. Resident Evil Zero* HD (PS4)
57. Resident Evil 4 HD* (PS4)
58. Titanfall 2 (PS4)
59. Another World: 20th Anniversary (PC)
60. Xeodrifter (PC)
61. Firewatch (PC)

Still on a roll with these adventurous "walking simulators". This is I guess the fourth one I've played. Others being Gone Home, Amnesia Machine for Pigs, and SOMA kind of counts (perhaps Outlast too?).

Just burned through Firewatch in one sitting, took about 4 hours so it was a bit longer than Gone Home. It was an awesome experience, really well directed and I loved the graphical style. The voice acting was excellent and the two characters and how it all unfolds was really well done. Lots of dialogue choices and everything came off really organically. Some nice twists and mysteries. And well, to hold me for 4 hours for such a simplistic game, easy to say the pacing was really good. I'm a big sucker for forest settings too, so that was awesome.

I guess I should play Dear Esther sometime, since that sounds like the one that kind of popularized these kinds of games. I believe it really is the first person perspective that makes these games work, definitely can't see it working from third person or anything else. It's like the modern point and click adventure genre of today perhaps? Not that any of the puzzles in any of these have ever been that complex so far, but yeah. I'm just really surprised by how much I'm enjoying this stuff. Great way to tell some excellent stories in a format and way you can't get in other forms of media.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

So I had a big free evening, and decided on a goal of beating 5 Genesis games. I managed to do it, but my thumbs hurt and so does my head and eyes. I'm too tired for big reviews, but here are some short ones:

119. Divine Sealing | Mega Drive | 1991 | 4/10
So in 1991, a development house called Studio Fazzy (great name) released Divine Sealing for Mega Drive. This was an unlicensed game, and it didn't receive official release for a legit reason; 16-bit hentai! See, beyond the rote shmup gameplay, after beating a stage and its boss, the player is treated to a strip show by various females. Bare breasts, buttocks, nipples, and such are shown uncensored. While this is certainly a novelty given the platform, the actual shmup gameplay is cake easy bare bones drivel. Divine Sealing is worth a play for the shock factor of seeing Mega Drive produced naughty bits, but little else.

120. Trouble Shooter | Genesis | 1991 | 7/10
Trouble Shooter is a shmup developed and published by Vic Tokai for the Genesis in 1991. It's a bit like a parody of Forgotten Worlds. In this game the protagonists are heroines, and they are out to save a prince no less. The game design is quirky and competent, though the challenge is on the easy side. It's got a nice soundtrack, some imaginative bosses, and a wonderful sense of humor. If the graphics were a bit more polished, and the level designs a tad less repetitive, Trouble Shooter would have scored higher with me. I still recommend it for shmup fans who don't mind a little goofiness.

121. Battle Mania 2 | Mega Drive | 1993 | 8/10
Battle Mania 2 is the Japan-only sequel to Trouble Shooter. It continues the Forgotten World style of shmup gameplay. As a sequel, Battle Mania 2 manages to improve marginally on every aspect of its predecessor. Graphics, level design & length, weapon systems, and challenge are all improved. The most noticeable advancement is the OST, which is quite rocking and a notable Mega Drive classic. Lastly, the quirky sense of humor from the original is amped up noticeably here. We're talking near-Parodius level goofiness. For example; in stage 5, the heroines get to shoot down enemies that look like a flying caped Super Mario from Super Mario World. Anyone looking for a quality shmup should have a good time with Battle Mania 2, especially since it did receive an English fan translation.

122. Alisia Dragoon | Genesis | 1992 | 5/10
So here's a platformer starring a female who shoots (fairly ineffectual) lightning from her finger tips. Considered a "hidden gem" or "cult classic" by some (because it's a Game Arts release starring a scantily clad female). If you've played something like Valis, you know what this is. Except for the part where your primary weapon is enemy seeking lightning that doesn't do much damage. You also have little dragon partners that die nearly instantly. I'll try to be positive for a minute; the graphics are decent, the music is OK, there some alright cutscenes and... that's about it. This game should be called "Cheap Hits Dragoon", or "Lightning Sponge Enemies Dragoon", or "Very Boring Level Design Dragoon". I know this one has its fans sure, but I'm just not one of them. Maybe I just suck at this game (beating it was not fun for me), and that's why my dragons constantly died. Well, I'm glad to have beaten Alisia Dragoon and seen it all for myself, but I'll never play this aggravating game again.

123. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar | Genesis | 1992 | 8/10
Thunder Force IV, known in North America as Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar, is a 1992 side-scrolling shmup developed and published by the mighty Technosoft for the Genesis. This game is pretty damned awesome from technical, graphical, and audio perspectives. There are a lot of shmups on the Genesis, but this one is likely in the top 5. However, Thunder Force IV is a very taxing game to endure. It starts off fairly easy, but by the end you will be seriously stressed out. I'll admit to using savestates to finish the last stage. So if you truly want to be challenged, you'll get your money's worth here. This game is a tour de force of all Technosoft had learned developing for the Genesis, and any shmup fan owes it to them self to enjoy the blistering ride. My only complaint may sound strange; this is a little too much of a good thing. I found the experience to be about 20% longer than it should have been. But who knows, someone else might wish the game was 20% longer still! Have fun dying over and over again fellow galactic warriors. Interesting factoid: Thunder Force IV was the very first game with a sophisticated regional lockout program. Unlike previous Mega Drive games, the player could not play the Japanese version on a European Mega Drive or Sega Genesis (and vice versa) with a simple pass through adapter.

---

Well folks, that's enough 16-bit for a while. I'm starting Ys: Memories of Celceta tomorrow if I can feel my thumbs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Disappointed in you cheating on Thunder Force IV Ex. :lol:

I own a cartridge of that one and beat it legit years back, took about a week of constant work and persistence. Each day I'd get a level or two further. Stage 8 was the infamous one where I was stuck on for awhile. The one boss that you chase was pretty tough too. Then I remember getting to the final boss stage but lost to that enemy with the screen sized beams. Finally beat it after awhile though and it was really rewarding.

Probably my favorite shmup/shooter ever and the only Genesis OST that rivals, if not surpasses, Shinobi 3 for me.

I prefer it's more frantic style over R-Type and Gradius, with you having lives mid-combat so you don't get pushed back to a checkpoint. You'd think this makes it easier, but I would say Thunder Force makes up for the difficulty in its quicker speed and intensity.

In comparison I think Thunder Force 3 / AC and Thunder Spirits are a fair bit easier, but do get tougher as they go too. I can't remember if I beat Thunder Force 2. I recall it being the hardest. Too bad the first game never got a port or something.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I <3 Divine Sealing
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Stage 8 was the infamous one where I was stuck on for awhile.

Yeah that's the stage where my patience ran out. I could have done it with more practice, but I didn't feel the investment was warranted. Maybe someday I'll go back and do it.
Xeogred wrote:I would say Thunder Force makes up for the difficulty in its quicker speed and intensity.

Indeed. I saw someone post a two word review for Thunder Force IV on HLTB: "Gaming metal." Rather accurate review. :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I played the Thunderforce series earlier this year and was really disappointed. I don't think they live up to their reputation at all as amongst the best shmups of their era, and was happy to sell them off once I had my time with them.

Of course, I also think Axelay is an overrated shit show of a shmup :lol: The movement mechanics (especially on the vertical levels) are just really wonky and off-putting, and there just isn't a lot of incentive to keep with the game to try for that perfect run.

One thing that both the TF and Axelay games have in common - they all look great, but they play like arse and are far from the best examples of their genre.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:One thing that both the TF and Axelay games have in common - they all look great, but they play like arse and are far from the best examples of their genre.

I agree that the aesthetics go a long way towards their mass appeal. If these games had lesser graphics, they wouldn't be as popular.

So what do you think the absolute cream of the crop best shmups are for Genesis and SNES? (I saw you mention Bio-Hazard Battle, it's pretty good... I beat it co-op with my wife a few years ago.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

DS, I agree with you about Axelay but not TFIV. TF3 was mediocre and 2 perhaps too experimental (or rooted in early computer origins), but even without the great visuals, TFIV has a solid weapons system and the ship handles well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Looking back at my time with Alisia Dragoon this year, I'd say it's... eh. I think it's a game that would be a lot more fun if you've got everything memorized, but as it is, it reminds me more of a pretty unbalanced arcade game. There's so much cheapness that abounds in spots that it feels like you should be quarter-feeding. :(