5) Mitsume Ga Tooru (NES)
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight (NES)
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
9) Monster In My Pocket (NES)
10) Battle of Olympus (NES)
11) Gunstar Heroes (GEN) (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser (PS4)
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics (NES)
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force (NES)
19) Esper Dream 2 (NES)
20) Felix the Cat (NES)
21) Moon Crystal (NES)
22) Panic Restaurant (NES)
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis (NES)
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu (NES)

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden (NES)
28) Sly Spy (ARC)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4 (NES)
31) Cocoron (NES)
32) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)
33) Xeodrifter (VITA)
34) Doom 2 (PC)
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP)
36) Magical Pop'n (SNES)
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III (GEN)
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost) (PC)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
44) Lara Croft Go (AND)
45) Oniken (PC)
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2 (NES)
51) Mega Man 4 (NES)
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6 (NES)
54) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
55) Sword Master (NES)
56) DuckTales 2 (NES)
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3 (NES)
59) Mega Man 5 (NES)
60) Mega Man (NES)
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team (NES)
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (NES)
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi (GEN)
70) Shinobi III (GEN)
71) Shadow Dancer (GEN)
72) El Viento (GEN)
73) Earnest Evans (GEN)
74) One Must Fall 2097 (PC)
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke (NES)
77) Contra (NES)
78) Wario Land: Shake It! (WII)
79) Gimmick! (NES)
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES)
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss (VITA)
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:
85) Astra Superstars (SAT)
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360)
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight (PC)
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)
89) VVVVVV (PC)
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (GEN)
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
93) The Terminator (SCD)
94) Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes (PC)
95) Electronic Super Joy (PC)
96) Golden Axe (GEN)
97) Double Dragon (GB)
98) Double Dragon II (GB)
99) Double Dragon III (GB)
100) Super Mario Land (GB)
101) Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

July:
102) Vapor Trail (GEN)
103) King Colossus (GEN)
104) Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
105) Curse of Issyos (PC)
106) Alisia Dragoon (GEN)
107) Curse of the Crescent Isle DX (PC)
108) Tales of Hearts R (VITA)
109) Flashback (SCD)
110) Rayman Legends (VITA)
111) Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN) (via 360)
112) Altered Beast (ARC)
113) Altered Beast (GEN)
114) Song of the Deep (PS4)

August:
115) Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (WII)
116) Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R) (PC)
117) Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (GEN)
118) Streets of Rage (GEN)
119) Technobabylon (PC)
120) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
121) Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (GG)

September:

122) Xenoblade Chronicles X

I've done it, y'all. I finished XCX. I figured it was something that would never happen. It just didn't click with me like Xenoblade did, and it got dropped to the back burner...

...until I picked up my new TV. I wonder if some of it is having a larger screen so all that small text is easier to read. I bet it's a factor. But the other, major factor is that it finally felt like I was "playing it right". I sussed out how to play Xenoblade, and in particular Shulk and Melia, very quickly. But combat feels a little different here. You've got both ranged and melee combat, and TP to manage for more powerful Arts, passive Skills to equip... there's just a lot going on, and it's not always as clear as you'd like if you're being effective. In fact, I'd say I wasn't very effective at all. This ended up being a fair amount because of the class I chose. I was shooting for Galactic Knight, and that's a pretty advanced class to start with. But it really comes into its own when you start getting the right skills. It's basically a melee class, and by focusing on Beam damage, and pairing your combo boosting skills with Starfall Blade, Rondo, Blossom, and Stellar Ray, you can pour in some damage very, very quickly.

On top of that, I'd stopped playing just ahead of getting Skells. Skells are a bit weird. Most of the fast-travel modes don't handle well at all, but they definitely give you a huge boost over your on-foot durability. Depending on the enemy, it will help you close a 20+ level gap, although if you get mobbed you might as well hang it up. If you lose your Skell, you have to time a button press perfectly to avoid eating into your Skell insurance, which will replace your mech for free as long as you've got it. Lose all your insurance, and you've got to burn a Salvage Ticket (only obtainable through online rewards) or buck up and pay the cost. That can get really expensive. Still, Skell combat is pretty solid, more of the same but with giant mechs. And when you get the flight module, a ton of the game opens up.

Of course, once you get the flight module, it also means that the game strains to keep up with your rate of travel. It's having to load in new resources, and you might have to wait while an NPC finally spawns in. It's nothing game-breaking, though.

Mechanically, if you've played an MMORPG, you know what to expect. Auto-attacking melee/ranged combat, Arts with cooldown times, and if you wait longer, you can boost the art's power. You can also expend 3000 TP to enter Overdrive, which boosts your speed, power, and cooldown times, and lets you increase an art's ability another time. My understanding is that with the right setup the Galactic Knight is basically always in Overdrive. I didn't optimize that well, though.

Likewise, the quest structure is pure MMORPG. Talk to an NPC, get a quest, go collect some stuff or kill a monster or talk to someone else, repeat until you get a reward. The smaller quests are still somehow interesting, because they usually factor in aspects of another species' quirks, and you end up learning more about the game's world. The better, more fleshed-out quests are the Affinity Quests, which usually give bigger rewards, particularly for the class that the character in question belongs to. Most of these have properly voiced segments and whatnot, so they're almost more story missions than basic quests.

One of the biggest improvements over Xenoblade is the lack of inventory management. Gone are the days of constantly twiddling through the menu, selling and junking stuff in the field because you don't have any more space. There are some time-sapping quirks here still, though, like not being able to add party members without going to their actual physical location, and sometimes they move.

The game is pretty, overall. Definitely some impressive vistas, a good handle on art design, and most of the characters look okay. Some questionable character models (Lin looks soulless), but the irony there is that
halfway through the game, everyone is revealed to be remotely-controlled mimeosomes, like Ghost in the Shell.

Sound design is a mixed bag. Some amazing tunes, and a few that get really old. The New LA music is both terrible and somehow able to inflict Stockholm Syndrome and get stuck in your head.

So, speaking of story, there's a lot of spoileriffic stuff I'm about to get into, so if you ever want to play the game, don't read it!

So, one of the plot twists they throw in is the mimeosome angle. Everyone is running around in robot bodies. They're looking for the remnants of the Lifehold core that contains their real bodies, so they can transfer back in and keep kicking. There's a race called the Ganglion, the same ones that blow up Earth at the beginning, that have ended up on Mira with the humans. It's somehow intimated that beings are pulled to Mira, and once there, can't escape.

At the end, you find out that humans are the descendants of the Samaarians, a race that also created the Ganglion. However, somehow, humans are basically the key to shutting down the Ganglion, a sort of failsafe should the Ganglion try to rebel against their creators. One of your party members, Elma, is revealed at the end to not actually be human, but an alien that came to Earth 30 years before the attack to set up the technology to get the humans out of there, in a sort of Noah's Ark scenario. I missed some of the clues for this, but I obviously knew there was something going on that she wasn't saying, or that she held a lot more importance than she let on.

So, when the humans get to the Lifehold Core, it's revealed that there are no actual physical bodies. All of their consciousness is instead held in a database, to be transferred into bodies that they apparently have the technology to just outright manufacture. That certainly brings up some ethical qualms, and what it means to be human, ideas on the soul, and all that. The game tries to touch on it a bit, but I don't know if I was ever satisfied with the depth of the answer. Of course, expecting deep philosophy from an anime-inspired video game might be a bit much!

They take down Luxaar, the leader of the Ganglion, and also his Batman v. Superman Doomsday-style fusion with the traitor Lao (who goes un-traitor at the end). And the Lifehold Core backup power is switched on (that race against time is present in the game, at least from a story perspective), and happy days, all is well!

Or is it? The after-credits sequence sees Elma investigating the Lifehold Core to get access to the database with everyone's consciousness. When they get in, they find it completely destroyed, ruined at the time of the crash on Mira... which means that no one should be alive at all, they should be dead and gone. It's implied that something is clearly going on with the planet that causes this, just as earlier in the game it's revealed that alien races can understand each other, despite all speaking different languages. And there's a sequence where a time-traveler from the future can't escape from the planet, either, that there's some sort of barrier that even he can't pierce. Crazy stuff.

On top of all this, in true comic/anime fashion, Lao washes up on shore, alive, in his proper form, and some shadowy-looking guy walks up to him. It's pure sequel bait, but I'm not convinced we'll ever get a sequel to this story.

To sum up the story bits, it's interesting enough, but not as focused as the first game. The story really pulled you along in Xenoblade, and it only really starts moving in XCX at the end, and it leaves a lot of unresolved mysteries that may or may not ever be explained in a sequel. That's my only disappointment, that there were so many dangling threads at the end.

Still, the game itself gets really, really good. I think I'm comfortable giving it an 8.5/10, which is what I rated Xenoblade as well. But each of them is good for different reasons. If you prefer MMORPG-style, open-world setups, then this is your game. The previous game had it, too, but this one doubles down on that structure. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can get online with friends and play it just like an MMORPG. I still give the nod to Xenoblade, but only by a smidge, and only because its highs get to you first and more often, whereas XCX doesn't reach quite the same highs (and indeed, takes some time to get there), but is a more consistent experience overall. I definitely recommend the game, unless you just hate MMORPG-style games (and I usually do, and I'm still recommending it).
Last edited by Sarge on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

Nice job Sarge, how long did it take you to finish up XCX? As in, what was the hour count in your save game? I'm interested in knowing if it took longer than Xenoblade or not.

-----

100. North & South|NES|1990|strategy|33m|6/10

North & South is an action strategy game released on many platforms, with the best version mostly likely being the Amiga one. I happened to beat North & South on NES however, and it was still pretty fun. It's the Civil War, and you must pick a side. From there you choose a year to fight, with the year chosen affecting various stats of either side of the war. Afterwards your goal is to clear the States of the opposing army. This is done by moving army units from state to state and initiating battles. Battles are real time, consisting of cannon, horseback, and infantry units. Each unit type can only be controlled one at a time, but in real time, meaning reflexes must be utilized to be victorious. You can also attempt to seize an enemy train, or an enemy fort, with side scrolling real time action games representing both types of advance. Seizing these from the enemy slows the enemy's ability to generate new enemy units. North & South's gameplay is very simple, something to be learned in five minutes or less. As such this game is more action oriented than strategic. (If you're looking for a more strategic early USA era game, you might want to look at Koei's "Liberty or Death".) North & South is ultimately rather shallow, but it can be charming in small doses, and is a good choice for two human players to combat with. If only North & South had included a single player campaign with plot advancement, I would have gladly enlisted.

-----

Well folks that puts me at 100 games beat this year. This was a personal goal for myself. I only accomplished it thanks to beating so many short games. Stuff like fighters, shmups, platformers, and racers. But hey, this still puts me in that 100 games beat in a year club. I'll probably never beat that many games in one year again, but it was fun to do once! For the rest of this year, I plan to focus on handheld RPGs and SRPGs, so my game beating speed is gonna slow down drastically.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ah, the one thing I forgot to put in! It took me 83h18m, according to the save. A few more hours than that according to the Wii U stats. Either way, I finished it in a shorter time than the original, and I took my time to some degree doing lots of optional quests. I'm pretty sure you could actually finish it a bit faster if you wanted.

There's also a ridiculous amount of content, so I'm guessing you could put in way over 100 and still not see everything. From a raw content point of view, it's definitely worth the money.

Good job hitting 100, Exhum! I was hoping I'd hit 200 at the rate I was going, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen now.
Last edited by Sarge on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well, hate to say that just still doesn't sell me on X at all. This one clearly doesn't deserve the Xeno name. Xenoblade's story while awesome in execution to me, was a ridiculous downgrade after how insane Gears/Saga were. This one being even leaner on the story is the biggest turn off to me. I want Xeno's to melt my brain and give me some good sci-fi/mecha.

:x
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

100 games = NOICE

I wanted to hit 100 this year, as I have done in several years past. But the birth of my second child kinda fouled that plan up. :lol:

2017 looks good to go though!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm gonna be honest, I thought both Xenogears and Xenosaga's stories were no great shakes. Xenogears was solid until the rushed second disc (and too much Evangelion, apparently), and the Xenosaga series is so full of bad religious allusions that it was really hard for me to appreciate at all. It's like, "Do you even know what you're talking about?" levels of bad.

I still enjoyed the games themselves, though. They just aren't my idea of a good story.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I like ridiculous sci-fi God stuff. Did you play Xenosaga 3? Can you deny how crazy the second half was with all the character conflicts? Like every main character had their own final boss. Loads of amazing villains. It made a mark as one of the greatest final stretches ever to me. Fake science and religious tropes aside Gears/Saga have way denser characters than most JRPG's and do the gray line thing the best next to Suikoden.

Do you like MGS4?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I do. But it's not dense with bad religious allegory, it's dense with bad geopolitics. And nanomachines. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that almost every bit of my hangup with the Xeno series is with the religious aspect. If that were done better, I'd probably love the story, but it just makes no sense to me because terms are misused, leading me to think they were more included to try to seem more "highbrow".

Xenosaga 3, as a game, was great, especially after the trainwreck that was the second game. But it also felt rushed, and many of the reveals just fell flat.

Who knows, maybe I'll replay them some day, and it will all click.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:100 games = NOICE

I wanted to hit 100 this year, as I have done in several years past. But the birth of my second child kinda fouled that plan up. :lol:

2017 looks good to go though!

I've also done the 100 games thing in the past. It's nice, but now I'm focusing so much on longer RPGs while having less time, I probably won't get close to that number again. Oh well, I enjoy what I play.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My unorthodox mix of RPGs and Atari games is the only reason I've made it.