Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by alienjesus Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I'm a big advocate of emulation, but I concede that Punch Out needs to be played on the actual hardware to have a proper chance of defeating Tyson.

U-four-ia: The Saga (fan trans is better than European release).

The PAL translation is enjoyably engrish and quirky though, and it fits the game to a tee. I'd definitely play the game either way you go, it's fantastic.

Another noteworthy Famicom platformer you might like to try is Mappy Kids.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 pm

If you set up your emulator right, there's no lag that I can tell. Some seem to handle it better than others, though. One of the first things to do is find the VSync option and disable it.

I noticed FCEUX on Wii has a good bit of lag, though. Not sure how much of that is the Wii remote, how much is my TV (shouldn't be!), and how much is that VSync is stuck on, because I couldn't find an option to disable it.

But yes, actual system on a good CRT guarantees that none of those issues crop up, and it helped a ton. Seriously, it's been a long time since I'd been able to dodge Dynamite Punches like that. I used to have issues just getting through that section, and now I'm ticked if I get knocked down more than once.

I actually keep meaning to play through Ufouria/Hebereke. I may look into the fan translation to do so. I've got it on VC, but they screwed up in the way they put it on there, as there's a mismatch between the speed the game plays at and the sound channels. It makes the music sound awful. And since I've only got a non-modded NTSC system, playing it that way is probably the way to roll.
Last edited by Sarge on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I'm a big advocate of emulation, but I concede that Punch Out needs to be played on the actual hardware to have a proper chance of defeating Tyson.

I don't know about Punch Out specifically, but I usually oppose emulation in most cases just on principle. My exception, however, are fan-translated import games or games that are prohibitively expensive (Little Samson, for example).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:11 pm

alienjesus wrote:The PAL translation is enjoyably engrish and quirky though, and it fits the game to a tee. I'd definitely play the game either way you go, it's fantastic.

Well I actually meant from a coding perspective. The fan translation fixes some bugs present in the original Japanese and European versions of the game. ( http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1798/ )
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Lots of folks have gotten my money because of emulation, honestly. I personally love it, because I can experience games that I'd never be able to. The aforementioned Little Samson is a great example, and fan translations are great, too. But I've gone out of my way to acquire (reasonably-priced) awesome games that I've experienced through emulation.

I also see it as a way to preserve the gaming past. Right now, we've got working systems, but that won't always be the case. I love that we have cycle-accurate emulators for some systems. It's too bad N64 is still in such a bad state, though...

If it's purely for piracy, though, especially for more recent systems, then yeah, I've got problems with that. (Not that I haven't been down that road.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Yes, I've purchased more Super Famicom and Famicom games since I got a Retron 5. It revitalized my interest in those systems.

Exhuminator wrote:If you're itching for an action-RPG there's always Radia Senki, The Magic Candle, or Esper Dream 2: Aratanaru Tatakai... the NES/FC just keeps on giving.

I dunno about Sargey or others but I have plenty of 8-bit action-RPGs planned for this year including Aspic, Romancia, Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu, Ys III (Famicom) and a bunch more. I'm not exactly speedy though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Radia Senki is a game I've always started, and been really impressed with. I even made a repro cart of it! There's also a prototype out there that bumps up the hero's walking speed, but the punctuation seems a little odd in the localization. I also don't know how complete it is, but I think it might be finished.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Sarge wrote: I also don't know how complete it is, but I think it might be finished.

Well on RHDN its entry page says "Fully Playable" and "The translation is beautifully done, perfect enough to make a grown man weep. "

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/102/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Ah, sorry, I was talking about the prototype, not the translation.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 pm

How did Tecmo go from Radia Senki to Secret of the Stars?! That's what I wanna know.
Return to General Gaming