Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Sarge Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm

1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru

I've been on a strong NES kick on account of getting my EverDrive in to play with. This seems to mirror with last year, with a lot of NES gaming to start the year. And with Holy Diver, taking on something brutally hard... but whatever! Cleansing the palate with something a bit easier is a good thing.

So yeah, Mitsume Ga Tooru is apparently based on an Osamu Tezuka's manga/anime. The nice thing about this one is that it's programmed by Natsume, and it's one of their later efforts, to boot. While it certainly plays differently from games like Shatterhand and Shadow of the Ninja, it's still got that Natsume feel to it. It's ultra-solid, with excellent music and graphics, and play control that has just a tiny touch of momentum while still feeling really responsive.

I played this many, many years ago when the patch first dropped, and it definitely became one of my favorite games that we never got. Picking it up all these years later, I'm quite happy that it both plays just as well as I remembered, and that it wasn't incredibly hard without using save states, which is something I did the last time I went through.

Anyway, if you want a nice NES platformer that you might not have tried, give this one a go!
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 am

My first beaten game for 2016 is Strider for the PC Engine.

It's funny how this port is the most valuable of all home ports of this game but it's also the shittiest. The only thing it has going for it are the long cutscenes that tells the story of Strider as opposed to the arcade's incoherent "cutscenes".

The game is much more difficult than the arcade version/Genesis version. It's not by design. It's just a poorly-executed port. The are a lot of cheap deaths and the PCE-exclusive desert stage is pretty crappy. Biggest complaint is the hit detection of enemies and Strider himself. It's waaaay off when compared to the arcade version and Genesis port. If you're used to the arcade/Genesis versions you kinda have to relearn some of the enemy patterns.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:51 am

Finished Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd on my Vita last night. Last few songs on that game get hairy.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 pm

1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)

Continuing my NES gaming, I decided to test my mettle on TMNT II, see if I could make it to the end with just the default complement of lives. Apparently so! And with two lives to spare, even. Probably one of my best runs, and I probably shouldn't have even lost a life before Krang, but I forgot how to adequately kill the tigers in Stage 6 until the very end.

Anyway, what happened during that run, though, is something I'd never seen before. I was effectively warping around the screen at times, and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought maybe it was the EverDrive, but trying other ROM dumps yielded the same, different systems as well, and even my legit copies. My last resort was to swap the controller... and that did it. I asked about it on NESDev, and apparently that's part of the original software. If you press up+down and left or right, for example, it will cause this behavior. That means the controller I was using is getting worn down.

At any rate, if anyone wants to see the interesting behavior, I even (poorly) made a video. Modern smart phones are awesome. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2va23iGN2FI
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:25 pm

If you hadn't figured it out I would have mentioned that was the case. I first found out about that when I watched the TAS for TMNT II. The guy uses that to warp all over the screen and take out enemies super fast.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Yeah, a guy over at NESDev linked me to that, and I really want to watch that TAS run now. :)

EDIT: I've seen a bit of it, and that's crazy. Love it.
Last edited by Sarge on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC *new*
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC *new*

Total: 2

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I'll probably start 2016 by finishing up some of my 2015 list of stuff I wanted to play.

Spirits of Xanadu is an Alien-esque game with some System Shock overtones and, while it is technically an FPS, is much more of a first person adventure game than anything. I liked the atmosphere and writing well enough, and it is worth a look if you can find it on sale.

Tales from the Borderlands is my second foray into TellTale's oeuvre (after playing The first episode of The Walking Dead a couple of years ago) and I can't say I am disappointed after the first episode. They have captured the feel and writing of a series that I've probably spent more time with than any other, and I am eager to see where it goes from here.

I can't remember what we said consensus was (if there is any) on the preferred way to list episodic titles in this thread. Do most people list each episode (since they were sold stand-alone and each have credits) or just the full season as one game?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:08 pm

dsheinem wrote:I can't remember what we said consensus was (if there is any) on the preferred way to list episodic titles in this thread. Do most people list each episode (since they were sold stand-alone and each have credits) or just the full season as one game?

I list the full season.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:10 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I can't remember what we said consensus was (if there is any) on the preferred way to list episodic titles in this thread. Do most people list each episode (since they were sold stand-alone and each have credits) or just the full season as one game?

I list the full season.

I list Elevator Action.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:21 pm

noiseredux wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

I list the full season.

I list Elevator Action.

I list Truxton.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming