Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:That one's going on my Gamecube to-get list, fer sher

PM your address, and I'll send you my mint condition copy for free. It's the least I can do for someone willing to be a history teacher.
dunpeal2064 wrote:Loved the PN03 write-up Ex. I played it for the first time earlier in the year and thought it was great.

Thank you. The whole time I was playing P.N.03 I was like, "why the hell did I wait this long to play through this game?" I've owned the thing since 2007. :o I loved Vanquish, but if that game had starred Vanessa Z. Schneider instead of Sam Gideon, I think I would have just exploded into gooey dork bits.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I really, really need to play Vanquish already.

I finished up Onechanbara Z2 Chaos, but my computer is down and doing a proper write-up on the phone would be a nightmare. I think you would dig it though Ex.

Also, really cool that the devs saw and commented on your essay Dsh, can't imagine how that would feel. Congrats! :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I really, really need to play Vanquish already.

Yes, yes you do.

I've played quite a few third person shooters. Vanquish owns them all.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I really, really need to play Vanquish already.

Yes, yes you do.

I've played quite a few third person shooters. Vanquish owns them all.

I second this. I don't think Vanquish is the best third person shooter, but it's definitely the coolest.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Binary Domain should always be included alongside Vanquish talk. I played both within the same time frame and it was amazing.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Xeogred wrote:Binary Domain should always be included alongside Vanquish talk. I played both within the same time frame and it was amazing.

Looks promising, I'll have to check this out as well! Thanks for the recommendation.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)
3/31: Picross e2 (3DS DL)
4/7: Stardew Valley (Steam)
4/8: Voices From the Sea (Steam)
4/10: X-Note (Steam)
4/11: To the Moon (Steam)
4/19: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
4/19: Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match (PS3)
6/19: Steins;Gate (PS3)
7/11: Yoshi’s Woolly World (Wii U)
7/13: Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
7/13: Strider 2 (PS1 Classics)
7/16: Planetarian ~The Reverie of a Little Planet~ (Steam)
7/16: Narcissu (Steam)
7/26: Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (GOG)
7/28: LocoRoco 2 (PSP)
7/30: Criminal Girls: Invite Only (Vita)
8/1: Pokemon Art Academy (3DS)
8/5: Gal*Gun: Double Peace (PS4)
8/8: Before the Echo (Steam)
8/9: Ironclad (PC DL)
8/9: Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
8/14: Super Paper Mario (Wii)
8/15: Metal Slug (Steam)
8/17: Metal Slug 2 (Steam)
8/17: Metal Slug X (Steam)

Total: 29 games

So I played some Metal Slug and I've really liked what I've played so far. The three that I've played are all pretty similar (especially since X is a remake of 2), so I'm not going to talk about them individually.

They're all difficult, running, shooting, arcade games with a lot of explosions and some humour as well. I really like how you just keep on running and shooting without much pause, even if I died a lot. The controls are a little odd though, since I would expect this sort of game to be a twin-stick shooter, but it isn't. The left stick controls both moving and aiming, so a lot of mistakes were made since I would fire in the wrong direction. Didn't bother me too much though since if you lose a continue, you just start where you left off.

As for differences, Metal Slug 2 puts in a little more fantasy things than the original does like aliens and mummies. Not sure I really liked those additions (especially since mummies can make you reaaally slow), but they're not too offensive or anything. Just I would of preferred the it be more like the original with none of the fantasy-ish stuff (I guess it just seemed a bit weird to me, I guess). Metal Slug X has the same levels as 2, but changes a few of the weapons, enemies, and I think it makes a few bosses a LOT easier. I have heard people say that X is much harder than 2, but I didn't really notice much of a difficulty change (other than two of the bosses). I mean, I did lose two more lives in X than 2 but... that's not a huge difference.

Anyway, I had a blast all of them. I also plan on playing Metal Slug 3 sometime soon, since I own that one as well.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I almost installed P.N.03 the other day. Might get around to it finally.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC
48. Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness - PS4
49. Axiom Verge - PS4
50. Shadow Complex Remastered - PS4

51. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One
52. AM2R - PC
53. Total Annihilation - PC
54. I Am Setsuna - PS4

So along with Bravely Default this game shows that Japan still knows how to make a quality JRPG and it hasn't just all turned into flashy effects. It's really disheartening that this game isn't reviewing well. There has to be some sort of mismatch between expectations and results or something in the press.

I Am Setsuna is a fusion of FFX's story with CT's combat system. Without going into spoilers your journey is to guard Setsuna as she travels to the Last Lands as the Sacrifice to help drive the monsters away for a time until the next Sacrifice. The journey itself is fairly straightforward, with the expected learning a bit more about the nature of things and a few diversions along the way. That said, there's no real sidequests, which is appropriate given the theme of the journey. The story does the job, and I personally enjoyed the ending.

As I mentioned the combat is straight up Chrono Trigger. You've got three party members with an ATB battle system where positioning of party members and enemies is important and the ability to combine skills to create double and triple techs. This game does add in some things. The biggest addition is an SP meter. This fills as you attack, are attacked, or just idle when your turn is up. When it fills up you get a charge, and can store up to three charges. You can then expend a charge when attacking or using a skill to trigger Momentum. This involves triggering a variety of effects that enhance what you're doing. Momentum on a physical attack will add damage of the character's element while using it on a status effect might increase the duration. Momentum can also trigger two others effects, Fluxes and Singularities, which I'll get into in a moment. The other change from Chrono Trigger is that you have more ability to affect the positioning of things on the battlefield. In Chrono Trigger your characters were always in fixed spots and enemies might move around on their own. Here certain skills and attacks can change the positions of party members and enemies. One character moves up next to enemies when you have him attack and then he stays there (compared to the jumping back that happens in CT or with other characters) and there's a spell which draws a group of enemies to a single point to better hit with area spells. The only miss in the combat system is the fact that there is no indicator for area of effects; whereas in CT you'd get the secondary cursors to show that this enemy but not that enemy would be hit with Cyclone if you target this enemy you don't get that here. The only difference in cursor is between hit all attacks and focused attacks which may or may not have an aoe. It's the only downside in the combat system, in my opinion.

Now, skills are learned a bit differently from other games. Here skills are gained by selling enemy drops to a certain NPC and then combining particular amounts of enemy drops to create a skill. These skills are then equipped on your characters. So think of it like a cross between a system like FFVII's Materia and FFXII's selling of goods to unlock items in the store. What makes this a bit more interesting is the extensive nature of the drop system. Enemies have up to 12 different drops. You've got your normal drop and your rare drop, which function as expected. But then you have a large number of conditional drops. If you just barely kill an enemy you get an Exact Kill drop. If you massively murder an enemy above and beyond what was required for the kill you get an Overkill drop. If you kill with an attack that does elemental damage you will get one of the five Elemental Kill drops. If an enemy is suffering a status ailment you get a Debuff drop. If you kill an enemy with a dual or triple tech you get a Link Kill drop. And finally if you triggered momentum on the attack you get a Momentum drop. All of these can be combined; every condition is a new item so if you're diverse in a battle you'll get a huge list of drops. This encourages you to kill enemies in a variety of ways to get the drops you need to unlock your skills.

Now I alluded to two other systems, Flux and Singularity. These two are very poorly explained, but fortunately they're not necessary for beating the game. Singularity is the easier one. Randomly when you trigger a momentum attack you will enter Singularity. This will be a randomly selected field effect which lasts 20-30 seconds. These tend to be unique bonuses. One ensures all enemies killed will drop every single item they've already dropped before, so if you've painstakingly killed a particular monster with one of every type of attack you are free to kill this monster with whatever is easiest and you'll still get everything on the loot table. Another vastly increases your ATB speed but disables the use of combos. A third makes your attacks deal all five elements (and the game always has weakness win out when calculating the damage from such an attack) as well as giving you massive elemental resistances. There's one skill that will automatically trigger Singularity.

The other is Flux, which is the grindy min-maxing mechanic. Each character can equip Talismans. These both have slots for skills and can have both passive and flux effects. Passive effects are things like "See enemy HP". Flux effects are effects that can be imbued onto your skills randomly. The way this works is that when you use momentum while using a skill and the game decides to trigger a Flux, then at the end of the battle the game will have selected a random Flux effect on your talisman to apply to that skill; you then get the opportunity to accept it or not (limited number of flux slots on a skill and it can't be erased afterwards). Flux effects can be things such as increasing the damage of the skill, reducing the MP cost, or giving you an ATB bonus so you don't have to start from an empty ATB bar after using it. These bonuses aren't really noticeable unless you take the time to really grind them out. Hence, they're really only for min-maxers and post gamers.

The final thing to discuss is the game's aesthetic, as it was my favorite part of the game but also seems to be one of the things I'm seeing people complain about. The first is the game is entirely snowed in. It's not clear if the entire world is always gripped in winter or if you're just in a northern area, but it's clear that the game's explore able area is no stranger to snow. Indeed, you'll notice little details like tress that sometimes have snow suddenly fall off and the fact that as your characters walk through the snow they leave fairly deep trails. This does lead to some sameness in the dungeon design, as you have the snowed in forest, the snowed in mountain, and the ice cave as the majority of the dungeon space. Personally, I think this really fit the overall theme of the game; this is a fairly bleak world and the endless winter is a reflection of that.

The other half of the aesthetic is the music. This game's soundtrack consists of a solo piano playing appropriately evocative music for the variety of areas. It's composed extremely well and the characterization of areas is not hampered in any way by being a single instrument. This is actually one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years. And for some reason people aren't happy with it; I'm guessing they just have no musical sophistication. The complaints against the game's very deliberate aesthetic come off like if people complained that Limbo was just black on black with no music at all; it's missing the point entirely.

I cannot recommend this game enough to classic JRPG fans.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me