Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

MrPopo wrote:Those extra dungeons you're talking about, there are five of them spread through the game. There's a bunch of places where they can spawn; it's random where each one is. The contents themselves are also randomly generated. There are always two easy, two medium, and one hard. The hard has one of three awesome weapons in it. The whole thing is an homage to the "secret worlds" of the original Metroid, where you started walking through garbage memory that's not actually part of the map.

Cool! It makes a lot of sense that the hard ones have good weapons in. That Homing Shot was SOOOO good. I just figured it was good because it was hidden in the last world, and it was total hell to get to.

Has anyone here ever played Lyle in Cube Sector? Axiom Verge really reminded me of that with its graphics style, though I'd say that AV is a far superior game. LiCS is still a great free-ware game for those of you who want a Metroid-y game on the cheap though!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)
3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)
8. Heroes Of The Storm (PC)
9. The Elder Scrolls Legends (PC)
10. Land's End (GearVR)
11. Hearthstone: League Of Explorers (PC)
12. Metal Slug (PC)
13. Broforce (PC)
14. Metal Slug X (PC)
15. Hearthstone: One Night In Karazhan (PC)
16. The Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition (PC)
17. The Stanley Parable (PC)
18. Lucky's Tale (PC)
19. The House Of The Dead (PC)

it took me a lot longer to get HOTD running than it did for me to beat it. I eventually had to just an old XP laptop to play the damn thing. But it was a lot of fun. The original was the only in the series I had never played actually.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
30. Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC)
31. Dishonored DLC The Knife of Dunwall (PC)
32. Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches (PC)
33. Metro Last Light Redux (PC)
34. Doom 3 BFG Edition* (PC)
35. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
36. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil* BFG (PC)
37. Doom 3 The Lost Mission* BFG (PC)
38. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3)
39. Ultimate Doom* (PC)
40. Devil's Third (WiiU)
41. SOMA (PC)
42. Doom 2* (PC)
43. Gone Home (PC)
44. Metroid Other M (Wii)
45. Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut* (PC)
46. AM2R: Return of Samus (PC)
47. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
48. Metroid Zero Mission* (WiiUVC)
49. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)
50. Odallus: The Dark Call (PC)
51. Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
52. Resident Evil HD* [Chris & Jill] (PS3)
53. Resident Evil Revelations 2 [Bad End] (PS4)

* replay

My first post or two on Revelations 2 was neutral or a bit lukewarm. Overall though, I'm going to say it was pretty solid and fair at its $20 price. Way better than Revelations 1 to me, which had annoying mechanics, way worse combat than the console games, a boring drab boat setting, and insanely bad characters. But this was fine in all those departments and as someone who's fine with RE6, this made improvements from there as well. You get mods for weapons again like in RE4-RE5, the customization still isn't as deep, but you're at least picking up more stuff than health items and ammo like in RE6. This one also did a much better job with the tag team action and gave the supporting characters some good gimmicks that they could work with, I liked the Barry and Natalia pair a bit more than Claire and Moira.

Overall, it's pretty good if you like the later half of RE and the action styled ones. It's low tier RE, but was solid stuff.

Raid Mode seems insanely good here too, very elaborate. But I'll probably jump to other games.

Now my biggest complaint is a bit of a big one, because noted in my list there I got the bad endings (and they were crazy bad!) which almost soured the experience. So basically there are some ambiguous QTE like moments in Episode 3 (of 4) that will lead you to the good ending, for Claire at least. Still not sure on Barry. But let's get something straight here... Revelations 2 is a linear action game that is level based. This is not some RPG where you can have multiple saves and easily backtrack to some branching paths. So basically it seems you have to replay the levels over again entirely to get to these altering events, that will effect the path of the later levels. I'm sorry but this is just stupid design to me, I don't want to replay huge (most of them were about an hour long each) levels again for the good ending, so I'll probably just watch it on youtube.

Anyways, all that said I could actually see myself replaying this one again down the road for the alternate paths, stacking up more skill points and unlockables and grabbing some more trophies again or something. But I still think this is pretty annoying that getting the good ending is more complicated than it needs to be.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)
10. Thousand Arms (PS1)
11. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
12. Mega Man 5 (NES)
13. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
14. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (XBOX)
15. Mega Man 6 (NES)
16. Metal Saga (PS2)
17. Mafia (XBOX)
18. Parasite Eve (PS1)
19. Shining Force (GEN)
20. San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing (N64)
21. Bushido Blade 2 (PS1)
22. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2)
23. ActRaiser (SNES)
24. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

25. Mario Power Tennis (GCN)

I beat Mario Power Tennis on the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon!

One of my favorite N64 games was Mario Tennis. I used to play that game all of the time as there were so many things to unlock, modes to play and characters to master. It was also one of the perfect pick up and play for a little while and make a little progress. So, when I got my Nintendo Gamecube, I was very excited to play the sequel.

The game of tennis is so much better in Mario Power Tennis. For one, the court is so much bigger so it is possible to do lob and drop shots. In the N64 versions, it was so tiny that the only way to score points is blast it past them. The graphics are amazing with bright and colorful look to the entire game with some amazing animations and hilarious story lines to it.

There is still a ton to do and I have only just scratched the surface. The Power Shot has changed dramatically with each character getting a new Power Shot and a new Save Shot. These animations are quick and fun, but get a little tiresome after a while.

The only real complaint I had with the game is that the controls aren't the greatest. Sometimes, I want to do a Power Shot, but I do a Save Shot instead. Other times, I'll do a lob or drop shot when I don't want to. By the end of all the tournaments, I still wasn't able to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Overall, though, it's a great game. It's a perfect game for those that liked the first one and worth playing for them. It's fun, easy to pick up and has so many layers of depth to it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

[quote="PartridgeSenpai"]Partridge Senpai's 2016 Beaten List
1-50

51. Axiom Verge

52. Otomedius Excellent (360)

I was warned about this game. That is "wasn't Parodius," though it claimed to be the successor to it. I hoped against hope that I'd be pleasantly surprised, but only to be spat in the face.

This is probably one of the most boring, dull as dishwater Shmups I've had the misfortune of playing. For being on a 7th gen console, there is absolutely no reason why it has such lack of creativity in every area: Enemies, bosses, characters, stages. Enemies are all just boring robots and forgettable, bosses are basically ALL just variants of the Core boss from Gradius 1, characters are all non-character school girls (this game wants to be TouHou really badly) and are hella Ecchi, and the stages are all very generic space levels. Coming from Parodius, a series bursting with zaniness and creativity that poked fun at Japanese culture and Konami franchises, a game so creatively bankrupt, is a shame to the series to say the least.

My qualms with the presentation aside, this just just a really boring game. The character's hit-boxes are very unclear and big, so I very often found myself dying a ton when I thought I was dodging bullets. The guns aren't that varried (again, Gradius I & II levels of gun variety) and the characters basically just feel like reskins of each other, given that they're all school girls, and basically all tiny variants of Vic Viper (the classic Gradius ship). This is a shockingly poor showing coming from a series that has as extensive and weird a cast as Parodius did. Then, again, enemy and boss variety is really dull, so most the whole game is the same strategy of just "dodge lasers, kill robots, shoot core, repeat." Your hitbox is so big and your guns feels so weak though, it really makes it hard to even just have fun blowing shit up because you feel so helpless and weak.

Verdict: Avoid like the plague. This is a tasteless, soulless, shit husk of a game. This is a game that you can buy for under 10 bucks on Amazon in new condition for a good reason. Go and pick up a Cave made Shmup like, Akai Katana or Deathsmiles instead, because those are only a little more expensive, also for 360, and are everything this game was trying to be x 10,000,000.

Tl;dr: It's shit and I want the hour it took me to beat it back.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

I don't keep a list of beaten games anymore but ill keep talking about them here.

I just beat tiny toons on the NES! This game was a big part of my childhood and finally i managed to beat it (i know its not THAT hard but 9 year old me never could pass world 4). Also i found something that is kinda disturbing to me in the end credits
[img]
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/tiny-5.png[/img]

Look at that face... you know what he thinks "Im gettin some furry love tonigh"... or maybe it's just me and my messed up mind...
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:Now my biggest complaint is a bit of a big one, because noted in my list there I got the bad endings (and they were crazy bad!) which almost soured the experience. So basically there are some ambiguous QTE like moments in Episode 3 (of 4) that will lead you to the good ending, for Claire at least. Still not sure on Barry.

It is specifically that one QTE on Claire Episode 3. Depending on how it goes you either get the bad ending you got or the good ending. I cheated and learned about it before I played and made sure I got it.

I thought both Revelations games did a good job of straddling the line between the old and new style RE games. They tended to focus on one and two enemies at a time, with the horde being a once in a while thing designed to make you go "do I really want to fight this?" like in RE2. They maintain the requirement of aim that the new REs have, but it did feel like the Revelations games didn't seem to want you to rely on your melee like RE5 and 6 kept trying to make me do. And they both at least made some pretense of needing to backtrack and find keys like old style REs.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Tl;dr: It's shit and I want the hour it took me to beat it back.

The tricky thing is the different shots/abilities that would have made the game more interesting are random unlocks that you get from repeated play throughs. So they expect you to sink literally dozens of hours into the game to get decent enough weapons to beat it without continues unless you are a shmup god.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

MrPopo wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Now my biggest complaint is a bit of a big one, because noted in my list there I got the bad endings (and they were crazy bad!) which almost soured the experience. So basically there are some ambiguous QTE like moments in Episode 3 (of 4) that will lead you to the good ending, for Claire at least. Still not sure on Barry.

It is specifically that one QTE on Claire Episode 3. Depending on how it goes you either get the bad ending you got or the good ending. I cheated and learned about it before I played and made sure I got it.

I thought both Revelations games did a good job of straddling the line between the old and new style RE games. They tended to focus on one and two enemies at a time, with the horde being a once in a while thing designed to make you go "do I really want to fight this?" like in RE2. They maintain the requirement of aim that the new REs have, but it did feel like the Revelations games didn't seem to want you to rely on your melee like RE5 and 6 kept trying to make me do. And they both at least made some pretense of needing to backtrack and find keys like old style REs.

I guess I still have The Struggle and Little Miss episodes to check out. Maybe those will be a better note to end on. I wonder if you can just replay Claire Episode 3 and jump to Barry's 4th, and Claire's 4th Episode isn't that long. The bad endings were ultra bad like I noted, so ... not exactly walking away very satisfied from a plot standpoint haha. Just don't think I want to burn through those levels again right away. But I could see myself replaying this down the road.

I agree with what you're getting at there though. There was less hordes than you'd find in RE5-RE6, so the encounters were a bit smaller in scale and deliberate. It seemed a bit easier to slip by enemies at times too.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Tl;dr: It's shit and I want the hour it took me to beat it back.

I tried to warn yall in my reivew of it...
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.