Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Key-Glyph »

P.S., Michi, we need a looping gif of Popo at the end of that YouTube video, holding his bum, while the DDR machine's lights flash dramatically in the background. Please.

In regular and avatar size, just in case.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:

50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)

Yeah, this one's a toughie. I used to beat this back in the day without any assistance, but I abused save states on this run. It all started coming back, but seriously, I'd forgotten how long and intricate those stages could be. I mean, certainly not anything rivaling most modern games, but once you throw in the sky-high difficulty level, it really is rather long. And you have to start a stage from scratch if you die. At least you don't have to beat it all in one go, you get passwords for each stage you finish.

It's actually a really nice looking game, too. It actually doesn't do the 3/4-perspective like Zelda, it's a direct overhead view, and the spritework is really nice all around. Konami also crafted some nice music to go with it as well. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a more brutal Snake's Revenge. If that sounds up your alley, give it a shot. Just be ready to die a lot.

And plus, if you do nothing else, experience the awesomeness of the M:I theme song, NES-style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDuSRV ... C592DE6097
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I honestly don't think I've ever played Mission Impossible on NES. :shock: I'm not recognizing the graphics, and I would remember graphics that nice. I'll have to give this a go soon, although the difficulty sounds kinda raw.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever played Mission Impossible on NES. :shock: I'm not recognizing the graphics, and I would remember graphics that nice. I'll have to give this a go soon, although the difficulty sounds kinda raw.

Yes. Yes it is. Use save states, if you value your sanity. There are so many ways to die, and instantly, to boot.

Here's the HG101 writeup on it.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Key-Glyph wrote:P.S., Michi, we need a looping gif of Popo at the end of that YouTube video, holding his bum, while the DDR machine's lights flash dramatically in the background. Please.

In regular and avatar size, just in case.

Asketh and thou shall receive...

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)
3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)

My wife and I played through DOTT over the last week and had a great time. I still prefer Maniac Mansion personally, but the Remastered edition of Tentacle is stellar. Highly recommended.
Flake

Post by Flake »

3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)
3/22: Sonic Colors (Wii)
4/10: Sonic Adventure DX (GCN)
4/17: Knuckles in Sonic 2 (SG/WiiVC)

So I finally beat Knuckles in Sonic 2 - I have tried to do this so many times in the last 15 years or so. Not going to lie - I cheated and debug mode'd a couple of rings into the last battle. I could consistently get to that last fight but it really seems like it's not set up for Knuckle's physics. Given that I've spent the last two weeks on this game, I really just wanted to see those credits roll.

I may finally be Sonic'd out for a bit. I tend to play through games in fits and bursts, usually marathoning a series until I get tired of it. Not sure what could be next.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:

50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6

Completing my even-number run through the Mega Man games, MM6 is definitely a good one. It shakes a few things up with Rush, giving you a power suit that's good for breaking down walls, and a jetpack instead of Rush Jet (although I think it's still called that) that's infinite use, just limited flight time.

It's also been a long time since I actually beat the whole game, because there were a few bits in the Wily stages that I barely remembered. (Oh, wait, did I just spoil it? Right. Spoiler alert. ;)) Seems like I've routinely finished the other ones in recent years, so I remember almost all of those.

Anyway, there's no "bad" Mega Man game on NES, just like the Dragon Quest series. And the first game is just rough around the edges. I can imagine, amidst the glut of terrible titles released at that time, Mega Man stood well above the rest.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Flake wrote:3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)

So I finally beat Knuckles in Sonic 2 - I have tried to do this so many times in the last 15 years or so. Not going to lie - I cheated and debug mode'd a couple of rings into the last battle. I could consistently get to that last fight but it really seems like it's not set up for Knuckle's physics. Given that I've spent the last two weeks on this game, I really just wanted to see those credits roll.

I may finally be Sonic'd out for a bit. I tend to play through games in fits and bursts, usually marathoning a series until I get tired of it. Not sure what could be next.

Here's a trick for the last fight that makes it easy:

When Robotnik jumps into the air the little targeting reticule appears, wait for it to stop. Move just in front of it and start charging up a spin dash. When Robotnik lands he lowers his body and will hit right into your spindash, taking damage. The you let go of the dash to zoom away and dodge his hands when he shoots them.

This works as any of the 3 characters, and is WAY easier than trying to jump and hit him.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:
Flake wrote:3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)

Here's a trick for the last fight that makes it easy:

When Robotnik jumps into the air the little targeting reticule appears, wait for it to stop. Move just in front of it and start charging up a spin dash. When Robotnik lands he lowers his body and will hit right into your spindash, taking damage. The you let go of the dash to zoom away and dodge his hands when he shoots them.

This works as any of the 3 characters, and is WAY easier than trying to jump and hit him.