Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

The number one thing that bugged me about Alisia Dragoon I failed to mention in my review; constantly waiting on your lightning gauge to refill while avoiding nonstop enemies. I agree, the game comes across as a shoddy arcade experience.

I might do some more 16-bit stuff today... I thought I got it out of my veins but I think there's still some remnants pulsating.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I also didn't like the color palette. It seems overly dull, and that exacerbates issues with spotting all the enemies and shots coming your way. It's hard to "parse" at times.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:So what do you think the absolute cream of the crop best shmups are for Genesis and SNES? (I saw you mention Bio-Hazard Battle, it's pretty good... I beat it co-op with my wife a few years ago.)

Bio Hazard Battle is not amongst the best of the era, in my opinion, but I did enjoy it.

I'd say some of the best "cream of the crop" Genesis titles are:

Truxton
Fire Shark
MUSHA
Gaiares
Elemental Master
Grind Stormer
Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)
Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

The SNES has slimmer and far worse pickings, but I think its best are:

Super Aleste
Phalanx
R-Type III
Scrambled Valkyrie

The answer to the related question of "what is the best 16-bit shmup platform?" is, of course, the PCE.
Ack

Post by Ack »

What, not a fan of UN Squadron, Super EDF, Imperium, or Aero Fighters?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Truxton
Fire Shark
MUSHA
Gaiares
Elemental Master
Grind Stormer
Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)
Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

I actually have not beaten any of those, though I've played a few. MUSHA and Robo Aleste certainly are top notch from what I remember.
dsheinem wrote:Super Aleste
Phalanx
R-Type III
Scrambled Valkyrie

I have not beaten any of those either, though I've played the first three.
dsheinem wrote:The answer to the related question of "what is the best 16-bit shmup platform?" is, of course, the PCE.

Surprisingly... I totally agree with you. (Especially if you throw the PCE-CD-based shmups into the mix.) Blazing Lazers might just be my all time favorite 16-bit shmup.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:What, not a fan of UN Squadron, Super EDF, Imperium, or Aero Fighters?

Aero Fighters is ok I suppose, but not one of the best on the platform. I have not played Imperium. I don't care for the other two much at all.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The PCE is actually a really powerful system, at least from a raw CPU standpoint. I remember being a bit misinformed on it in the olden days, but the folks at RHDN set me straight. It's definitely better CPU-wise than the SNES, and a skilled coder can probably get it to start approaching what the Genesis does, so shmups work out just fine on the system.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Blazing Lasers is DEFINITELY my favorite 16-bit shmup as well as my favorite TG-16 game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Lords of Thunder is the greatest shmup of the era, and one of the greatest shmups of all time.
Ack

Post by Ack »

dsheinem wrote: I don't care for the other two much at all.

Funny enough, this is how I've always felt about Phalanx. I play it, and something about it just never clicks.