Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Sarge »

Bahaha. Kirby, destroyer of worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzH7eSOwAc

It might be that short. We'll see when I'm done! ;)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
This is certainly one of the raddest and baddest second gen games around.

Pepper II (which was sadly only ported to ColecoVision) was developed by Exidy, the same folks responsible for Venture, Mouse Trap, and Crossbow.

At first glance Pepper II seems to resemble yet another Pac-Man knock-off, what with its maze-like structure and power-up system. However, this is actually a "fill-in" game cut from the same cloth as Qix and Amidar.

The eponymous hero darts around the screen "zipping" up segments as he goes; backtracking unzips what hath been zipped. Once a segment is fully zipped it fills in and points are awarded. All the while Pepper must avoid sets of watchful eyes that dart around the screen. If Pepper encloses a segment containing a pitchfork he briefly transforms into a devil and can defeat the malicious ocular orbs.

The most noteworthy (and best) thing about the game is the size of the levels. Each one consists of not one but four screens, each containing four exits. This eliminates the claustrophobic feel that characterizes so many second gen titles without abandoning the requisite tension and fervor. A quick departure from a given screen can be used to your advantage when shit hits the fan, but it's not without risk. Enemies spawn from said exits (as opposed to the middle of the screen Pac-Man style) so it's prudent to wait until all eyeballs are visible before bailing.

My one (small) complaint involves the game's visuals. The colors are rather garish and the "zipper" doesn't look quite distinct enough when compared to the bare tracks. Screenshots of the arcade original indicate that that version was no beaut either.

This is a great game. The clever little design elements make this a highly addictive experience, one that will thrust you right into "the zone" and cause you to lose all track of time and personal hygiene as you shoot for yet another loop and high score. Pepper II seems to be well-received by those who reviewed it. The notoriously picky Video Game Critic gave it an A- and it's also graces most "top ten" ColecoVision lists I found after some cursory googling.

Oh yeah, and about the predecessor? There isn't one. The "II" in the title apparently refers to the duality of the human spirit: the angel/devil dynamic. At least that's what an AtariAge poster told me and no one on the internet ever lies or makes stuff up.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3
59) Mega Man 5
60) Mega Man
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi
70) Shinobi III
71) Shadow Dancer
72) El Viento
73) Earnest Evans
74) One Must Fall 2097
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke
77) Contra
78) Wario Land: Shake It!
79) Gimmick!
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:
85) Astra Superstars
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces
89) VVVVVV
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
93) The Terminator (SCD)
94) Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes
95) Electronic Super Joy
96) Golden Axe (GEN)
97) Double Dragon (GB)
98) Double Dragon II (GB)
99) Double Dragon III (GB)
100) Super Mario Land (GB)
101) Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

July:

102) Vapor Trail (GEN)

A rather Raiden-esque shmup. It's got a cool soundtrack... that consists of one song. At least it's a good song.

Anyway, took me two goes at it. If you can hang on to the 'S' icon that makes you super-powerful, it makes the game a lot easier. As far as I can tell, the only difference between "easy" and "hard" is the number of life blocks, although I didn't test long enough in "hard" to see how many continues you get.

Anyway, not the greatest, not the worst.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I haven't posted in this thread for months and the result is a big list. Sorry. Keeping comments short for this. Though I'm pretty lazy and rarely write proper reviews anyway, so... moving on.

1.The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
2.Tales of Xillia - PS3
3.Sonic & Knuckles - Genesis*
4.Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis*
5.The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS
6.Fast Racing Neo - Wii U
7.GG Aleste - Game Gear*
8.Gunstar Heroes - Game Gear
9.Sonic Blast - Game Gear
10.Ristar - Game Gear
11.Contra - NES
12.Call of Duty - PC
13.3D Streets of Rage 2 - 3DS
14.Giana Sisters DS - DS
15.Gunman Clive - 3DS
16.Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS
17.Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault - PC
18.Sega 3D Classics Collection: Sonic the Hedgehog - 3DS
19.Sega 3D Classics Collection: Puyo Puyo 2 - 3DS
20.Medal of Honor Allied Assault: Spearhead - PC

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

So nice to revisit this refreshed version of my second favorite Zelda. This release is definitive, of that there's no doubt, and while there's been some changes here and there, most of them are positive.

My only beef is the insistence on adding weak spots to every damn boss. Now everytime you stun a boss, a giant, out of place eyeball inflates out of their body like a damn balloon. It looks absurd and is completely unnecessary besides. These bosses are not complicated and I resent the notion that people need this kind of blatant and painful visual cue to know when to attack.

Seriously though, other than that, top notch.

Fast Racing Neo

A futuristic racer with an awesome sense of speed. You have to switch between orange and blue energy types to maintain a boost and keep at top speed. The tracks (save one) are all beautifully designed, the soundtrack is thumping, and the game is just fun as hell overall. I particularly enjoyed the Hero mode, which puts you on mirrored tracks, makes your energy meter double as a damage meter (keep it filled or explode) and requires you to finish in first. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it sure is entertaining.
Pick this up.

GG Aleste

This was the first game I tested after getting my Game Gear modded with a new screen. I love the Aleste series, and GG Aleste is no slouch. Very easy compared to other entries, but every bit as fun. I still need to pick up the sequel. I do have a conversion for the Master System, but I want an original copy too!

Gunstar Heroes

The Game Gear version of this title is astonishing. They've definitely made some cuts of course. Green's level is 90% boss fight now, and Black's level (as well as the shmup level late game) has been cut entirely. But they've added a new stage where you get to pilot a walker, and beyond that the game is every bit as chaotic and exciting as the Genesis version.

Recently some folks mentioned that they thought Genesis Gunstar was a bit too long. I'd recommend they check out the GG version. It's a bit tighter in that respect, every bit as fun, and in some ways more impressive.

Sonic Blast

As a kid I never passed the Blue Marine Zone in this game. That's because it's a tedious and annoying maze with underwater currents that set you back a lot. Still frustrated me to play it again, but clearing it wasn't the challenge it used to be. I was never a fan of this game overall though, and that hasn't changed. It's still pretty clunky and slow, the visuals that worked well for 3D Blast on the Genesis/Saturn are less appealing here in a sidescroller, and it just doesn't have much appeal. It's playable, but definitely among my least favorite Sonic games, and I'm easy to please.

Ristar

Like Gunstar Heroes, this is an excellent portable version of the Genesis classic. There have been some cuts and changes made here as well (though my spotty memory of the Genesis version makes it impossible for me to give specifics, it is at least noticeably shorter) but it loses nothing in translation. Playable, pretty, and with some music that you won't believe is coming out of your Game Gear.

Contra

Summer Game Challenge number 1, and so far the only one! I've been slacking. There's a smooth progression to Contra and it feels very fair and satisfying as your skills improve. My goal was to get through it on a single credit, and I managed that, plus a couple more levels after it looped. I'm gonna need to check out Super C at some point.

Call of Duty

Together Retro! I never expected much from this series, but my experience was also very limited thanks to my own bias. The original Call of Duty surprised me with it's variety and a campaign far more lenghty than I would expect given the series modern focus. The fact that the game does not feature regenerating health and actually puts up a fight makes it a nice experience. Don't really have plans to pursue any of the sequels though to be honest.

3D Streets of Rage 2

I'm surprised to say that the 3D does a lot for this game. Not that it really changes anything exactly, it just looks really nice, and I didn't expect much on that front from a game that wasn't designed around it. Anyway, this is classic SOR2 and it plays as perfectly as ever.

This version features a nifty mode called Rage Relay. You pick the order the characters appear in, and each time you die you are automatically switched to the next character. Because of this you can never have more than 4 lives at a time. If you fall below four you build back up to it, but picking one up on the field from that point just fills your health like a turkey, and lives awarded from your score do nothing. Unique mode that I enjoyed.

Giana Sisters DS

Solid platformer that keeps things very simple, but the levels are designed very well. There are a ton of levels, and it isn't until around world 7 that the game starts to challenge you at all, but the experience is fun and pleasant the whole way through. Music is outstanding too. There is only one repeated boss encounter throughout the game though, and while he does get stronger over time, the pattern never really changes and is easy to exploit. That's kinda disappointing, but it doesn't bring the game down much.

One neat addition though is a late game level, that features all 32 stages of the original Giana Sisters crammed into a single marathon stage (so I guess I've technically beaten that game too?). That's a very cool bonus that is part of the main game rather than being an unlockable.

I like this one better than it's own sequel, Twisted Dreams, which I actually never got around to completing. Probably should get to that.

Gunman Clive 1 & 2

Picked these up on a whim since I always see positive feelings about them. They're a freaking blast. Lots of cool ideas in these bite size levels (about 1 minute each, generally) and a cast of characters that all feel pretty unique. The duck mode is also pretty funny merely for the fact that it exists. Really love the music and the sketchy visuals as well. I'm considering pickup the HD collection on Wii U just to have a go at these again on the big screen.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Together Retro again! I intended to play the first game in the series, but waiting on it to come in the mail, coupled with recommendations to try this particular entry meant that I impatiently downloaded it and got started right away. Worth it. It's an excellent game with a broad scope to it's missions and more than a few calmer, stealthier bits that I quite enjoyed. Sniper's Last Stand (otherwise known as "Sniper Town") was not nearly as difficult as I'd been led to believe when reading about it. Certainly challenging, especially when compared to the rest of the game, but the key is patience.

Sega 3D Classics Collection: Sonic the Hedgehog

It's Sonic 1. I don't have a lot to say, as I've beaten it hundreds of times! I'm mainly commenting on this one to say that again, the 3D is a nice touch that did a lot more for the game than I expected.

Sega 3D Classics Collection: Puyo Puyo 2

Arcade Puyo Puyo. I love Puyo Puyo, despite not being particularly good at it. This one features a tower with a selection of enemies you must face as you progress. I thought I was done when I reached the top, only to face three more bosses, the last of which, Satan, kicked my ass repeatedly. According to my stats I continued 42 times to beat this (lame, I suck), and I suspect half or more of those losses were to Satan alone, who often delivered a beating in thirty seconds or less (or it's free!).

Puyo remains absurdly fun though, and as always even when it frustrates me I can't ever put it down.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault: Spearhead

The first of two expansions for Allied Assault, it's a hell of a lot more action packed and brisk than the main game. Not a bad or good thing really, just different. I've developed something of an interest in MOH now, and I have a few more games in the series I plan to play, including Breakthrough (AA's second expansion) the original game, Underground, and Pacific Assault. Maybe more to come after those are done.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Completed the Legend Mode for Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U last night. Overall it was alot of fun, now I have plenty of post game content to get to. I'm gonna start on the Adventure mode tonight.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3
59) Mega Man 5
60) Mega Man
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi
70) Shinobi III
71) Shadow Dancer
72) El Viento
73) Earnest Evans
74) One Must Fall 2097
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke
77) Contra
78) Wario Land: Shake It!
79) Gimmick!
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:
85) Astra Superstars
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces
89) VVVVVV
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
93) The Terminator (SCD)
94) Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes
95) Electronic Super Joy
96) Golden Axe (GEN)
97) Double Dragon (GB)
98) Double Dragon II (GB)
99) Double Dragon III (GB)
100) Super Mario Land (GB)
101) Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

July:

102) Vapor Trail (GEN)
103) King Colossus (GEN)

So, this was one of those games that wasn't in the original plan. Not that I have a plan, mind you, but still. I wanted to give it a go after not being very impressed with it a while back. It was a translated action-RPG we never got. MIJET did a superb job with it, it's one of the best localizations I've seen from a game of this era.

Anyway, the game is pretty dark looking and rather moody. And to match, there are some pretty dark story beats. But overall, it's the usual "revive evil god" shtick, and you're the hero. I won't go into much more detail, but none of it is surprising.

The gameplay itself is a bit of a mixed bag. Your sword is very difficult to use effectively, being very short range, and the hit detection is consistent, but very, very finicky. You're going to have to be very accurate to score hits without getting hit yourself. And this stays true until...

...you start picking up other weapons. Weapons come in five different flavors: swords, axes, bows, lances/flails, and rods. Axes seem to be a bit longer range. Lances have even more than that (and later ones have some cool effects at the end of stab). Flails rotate around you (and one of the early ones has some really strange physics), and rods can great for distance attacks, particularly if you can get it to burn on top of an enemy (excellent in the coliseum). Then there's the bows. Oh, the bows. An absolute godsend in a game where you're a bit of a glass cannon. You can snipe away at enemies with impunity. There are times where it makes more sense to swap back to the sword (the most powerful one is useful in the final area, and very powerful when jumping and attacking), but most of the time, you'll want to use the most powerful bow you have. Particularly against the bosses, because despite being weaker, I could detect very little, if any, difference in actual damage done. So stay away from them!

Also to go with this are shields which block shots, armor upgrades, and random other stat-boosters. I went with the one that bumped my attack power up by 25, makes the bow that much more useful for a while.

The game itself is probably somewhere between a 7-10 hour experience. You could do it faster, if you know where to go and what to do. I was playing without a walkthrough, and only referenced a set of videos that really didn't answer much for me, so lots of wandering and killing stuff. Which means I ended the game at level 29, and I suspect 30 is tops.

Honestly, it's just a solid action-RPG, nothing mind-blowing, but it certainly would have been received well had it come out back in the day. It almost reminds me structurally of Ys, with a small smattering of Sword of Vermillion's atmosphere on top. Minus the bump combat of course for the former, and no 3D mazes from the latter. If you're out of stuff to play from that era, it's a good one to give a shot. I'm glad I did.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

How are you burning through all this stuff? Fire up an EverDrive every evening?

That is indeed a rad game. Hard to top the classic 2D ARPGs.

Been meaning to get it forever.

"Bone still doesn't own a single Mega Drive game. Sad!"
- Donald Trump
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, most of my numbers come from short games. I can blast through most NES platformers under an hour, sometimes an hour and a half. And yes, it's pretty much firing up an Everdrive. I was heavy on the NES earlier this year because I got a Everdrive-N8 for Christmas, and now I've got a Mega Everdrive, so the Genny is getting some love.

King Colossus is actually a long one compared to a lot on my list. ;)
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I've been meaning to play King Colossus for some time. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:I've developed something of an interest in MOH now, and I have a few more games in the series I plan to play, including Breakthrough (AA's second expansion) the original game, Underground, and Pacific Assault. Maybe more to come after those are done.

I strongly recommend the first two games on PlayStation. The first game will impress you with how full featured and realized it is, given its time of release and hardware. The second game (Underground) will impress with its plot depth, varied objectives, and non-standard FPS gameplay. Underground was rather ahead of its time and sadly ignored by far too many gamers.
Sarge wrote:with a small smattering of Sword of Vermillion's atmosphere

Now I am intrigued. I absolutely adore Vermillion's atmosphere.

---

Games Ex has beaten in 2016:
1. Mega Man ZX Advent|DS|2007|platformer|8h|7/10
2. King's Field III: Pilot Style|PS1|1996|dungeon crawler|1h|8/10
3. Sleeping Dogs|360|2012|action-adventure|20h 45m|8/10
4. Sleepings Dogs: NiNP DLC|360|2012|action adventure|1h 22m|5/10
5. Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS|GB|1992|shmup|33m|8/10
6. Vattle Giuce|GB|1991|shmup|45m|5/10
7. MechWarrior 2 (Clan Wolf)|PS1|1997|mech sim|2h 35m|7/10
8. Gradius: The Interstellar Assault|GB|1992|shmup|27m|8/10
9. SolarStriker|GB|1990|shmup|23m|7/10
10. Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|45m|6/10
11. Dead or Alive (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|23m|5/10
12. Asuka 120% Burning Festival Final (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|26m|8/10
13. Soul Blade (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|18m|9/10
14. Trax|GB|1991|shmup|23m|7/10
15. Street Fighter: The Movie (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1995|fighter|36m|5/10
16. Warpath: Jurassic Park (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|17m|4/10
17. Psychic Force (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|22m|7/10
18. Touki Denshou: Angel Eyes (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|27m|7/10
19. Advanced V.G. 2 (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|15m|8/10
20. StarHawk|GB|1993|shmup|1h 15m|4/10
21. Nemesis|GB|1990|shmup|28m|7/10
22. Cardinal Syn (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|54m|7/10
23. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|15m|7/10
24. Street Fighter EX 2 Plus (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|22m|8/10
25. Battle Unit Zeoth|GB|1991|shmup|24m|6/10
26. Soul Calibur IV (Arcade Mode)|360|2008|fighter|12m|9/10
27. Mercenary Force|GB|1990|shmup|54m|5/10
28. Battle Arena Toshinden (Story Mode)|GB|1996|fighter|12m|8/10
29. Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams (Arcade Mode)|GBC|1999|fighter|10m|7/10
30. SD Hiryu No Ken EX (Story Mode)|GBC|1999|fighter|24m|7/10
31. Guilty Gear X: Advance Edition (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|8m|6/10
32. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Revival (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2001|fighter|10m|7/10
33. Dual Blades (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|23m|4/10
34. Gradius Galaxies|GBA|2001|shmup|1hr 24m|8/10
35. Tekken Advance (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|15m|7/10
36. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|22m|7/10
37. Black Belt Challenge (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|8m|4/10
38. Iridion II|GBA|2003|shmup|58m|9/10
39. King's Field III|PS1|1996|dungeon crawler|25h|9/10
40. Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel|360|2013|cover shooter|7h 54m|7/10
41. Panzer Dragoon|Saturn|1995|rail shooter|55m|7/10
42. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei|Saturn|1996|rail shooter|1h 25m|8/10
43. Kirby Air Ride|GameCube|2003|kart racer|45m|6/10
44. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!|GameCube|2003|kart racer|35m|8/10
45. Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (Arcade Mode)|GameCube|2002|fighter|35m|8/10
46. XG3: Extreme G Racing|GameCube|2001|racer|1h 35m|7/10
47. Mario Kart 7|3DS|2011|kart racer|1h 54m|9/10
48. Code of Princess|3DS|2012|beat 'em up|4h 25m|7/10
49. Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy|3DS|2011|flight sim|3h 42m|7/10
50. Crimson Shroud|3DS|2012|JRPG|6h 55m|7/10
51. Gunman Clive|3DS|2013|platformer|54m|7/10
52. Gunman Clive 2|3DS|2015|platformer|1h 30m|7/10
53. Attack of the Friday Monsters!|3DS|2013|adventure|3h 2m|8/10
54. Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception|PSP|2006|flight combat|2h 25m|8/10
55. Ace Combat: Joint Assault|PSP|2010|flight combat|6h 26m|4/10
56. Nayuta: Endless Trails|PSP|2012|action-RPG|16h 03m|8/10
57. Alpha Protocol|360|2010|action-RPG|12h 20m|5/10
58. Makai-Mura Gaiden: The Demon Darkness|Game Boy|1993|action-adventure|6h|7/10
59. Hangman|Atari 2600|1978|puzzle|15m|8/10
60. Beneath Apple Manor|Apple II|1978|roguelike|2h 28m|9/10
61. Rusty|PC-9801|1993|platformer|3h 46m|7/10
62. Night Slave|PC-9801|1996|mech shooter|2h 37m|8/10
63. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut|360|2013|action-RPG|31h 15m|6/10
64. Target Earth|Genesis|1990|mech shooter|49m|7/10
65. Assault Suits Valken|SNES|1992|mech shooter|1h 23m|8/10
66. Everblue|PS2|2001|scuba adventure-RPG|12h 38m|7/10
67. Shadow Tower|PS1|1998|dungeon crawler|14h 51m|7/10
68. Shovel Knight|3DS|2015|platformer|6h 47m|8/10
69. Earth Defense Force 2025|360|2014|3rd person shooter|20h 38m|7/10
70. FRAMED|Android|2014|puzzle|1h 35m|7/10
71. Fuse|360|2013|cover shooter|11h 18m|7/10
72. Front Mission 5: Scars of the War|PS2|2005|SRPG|32h 39m|8/10
73. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare|360|2007|FPS|5h 45m|9/10
74. Call of Duty: Black Ops|360|2010|FPS|5h 35m|6/10
75. Caverns of the Snow Witch|Android|2014|gamebook|2h 25m|5/10
76. Metal Storm|NES|1991|platformer|45m|8/10
77. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse|NES|1990|platformer|1h 15m|6/10
78. Crisis Force|NES|1991|shmup|35m|7/10

79. Bloodbones|Android|2014|gamebook|2h 45m|8/10

I've finished off another digitized Fighting Fantasy gamebook, once again brought to Android by Tin Man Games. Actually my wife and I finished this one. I read it to her as we drove long distances this weekend, allowing her to make the choices as I acted as narrator and button pusher. (We do this fairly often with gamebooks actually, but I digress.)

Bloodbones is one of the largest and most complex Fighting Fantasy books out there. Easily twice the size and complexity of earlier FF books. It tells a tale of vengeance, where you attempt to kill a truly evil undead pirate lord. To do so will take you through many locations, traps, and plenty of fights. I was very impressed by the variety in Bloodbones, and was never bored. You may be annoyed at the late game "gotchas" though. If you miss key items early on, you will be screwed at the end of the book. (But hey, gotta get that difficulty in there somehow.)

Tin Man Games did an excellent job of porting Bloodbones to their proprietary game book engine, but a few typos mar the experience. And if you enjoy pirates, adventures, and ghost stories, you should love this game book. Aye landlubber, Bloodbones is booty worth sailin' for.

http://fightingfantasyapps.com/books/bloodbones/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ones&hl=en
PLAY KING'S FIELD.