Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Have you played a Human Resource Machine? It is another "programming" game that requires you to complete tasks with a very limited drag-and-drop programming language. I really enjoyed it, and I think you might enjoy it too. (I also understand that is a lot easier than TIS-100, but it makes up for it with a great personality.)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have you played a Human Resource Machine? It is another "programming" game that requires you to complete tasks with a very limited drag-and-drop programming language. I really enjoyed it, and I think you might enjoy it too. (I also understand that is a lot easier than TIS-100, but it makes up for it with a great personality.)

I have not. Part of what drew me to TIS-100 (as opposed to SpaceChem) was the very explicit programming going on. Sure, the ISA makes the NES's 6502 look decadent, but that adds to the fun. I also picked up Shenzhen I/O, which combines programming with circuit design.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC
44. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U
45. Kirby: Planet Robobot
46. Sin: Wages of Sin - PC
47. Torchlight II - PC
48. Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness - PS4
49. Axiom Verge - PS4
50. Shadow Complex Remastered - PS4

51. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One
52. AM2R - PC
53. Total Annihilation - PC
54. I Am Setsuna - PS4
55. Planetary Annihilation Titans - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - PC
57. Dark Reign - Rise of the Shadowhand - PC
58. Dragon Age Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon - PC
59. Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent - PC
60. Dragon Age Inquisition - Trespasser - PC
61. The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone - PC
62. The Witcher 3 - Blood & Wine - PC
63. ReCore - Xbox One
64. Final Fantasy Tactics - PS1
65. Resident Evil 6 - PC
66. Knuckles Chaotix - 32X
67. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4
68. Might & Magic 2 - Gate to Another World - PC
69. Might & Magic 4 - Clouds of Xeen - PC
70. Might & Magic 5 - Darkside of Xeen - PC
71. Might & Magic 4&5 - World of Xeen - PC
72. Rise of the Triad - PC
73. Batman Arkham Knight - PC
74. Rise of the Triad (2013) - PC
75. Dishonored 2 - PC
76. TIS-100 - PC
77. Tyranny - PC

Tyranny starts with an interesting premise; you are an agent of the resident conquering warlord who is about to finish his subjugation of the continent. It ends up being the TIE Fighter to your standard RPG's X-Wing, and I thought it works very well. I do think the ending could be better, but I can't elaborate without MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Tyranny is built on the Pillars of Eternity engine, and the combat mechanics are carried over wholesale. The main difference is that there is no spellcasting resource; everything is cooldown based. The main thing that differentiates primary spellcasters is that they have a higher Lore stat which enables more powerful and versatile spells. That's also worth a mention; the game features a spell crafting system. Each character has a number of spell slots (4 for the PC, more for the casters, less for the melee guys) and you can fill them with crafted spells. The way it works is you pick a core, which is your element, an expression, which is the type of cast (on touch, ranged, aura), and then 0 or more accents, which enhance the spell. These can include damage boosts, range boosts, cooldown reductions, and a variety of more esoteric effects. The expression determines the base Lore required to learn the spell, and then each accent increases that value. You can easily go back and modify existing spells or simply overwrite them, so as you gain experience your spells can grow with you.

Leveling is semi-Bethesda based. You have base stats and then skills, such as One-Handed or Lore. Skills gain experience when used, and when they gain sufficient experience they level up. That experience also goes into a general experience pool, and when you get enough of that your character level rises. Leveling up gives you one attribute point and one talent point. Attributes modify skills; each skill gets 1.5 levels per one attribute and 0.5 levels per a second attribute. This allows you to be more of a generalist; though you should have one thing you do particularly well you will find your character is capable of doing all things competently.

The driving force behind the story is that after the conquest a group of rebels is still putting up resistance. Kyros the Overlord sends his two main armies, the horde of the Scarlet Chorus and the disciplined legions of the Disfavored. As you can see, there's already the potential for conflict. The two sides quickly start getting in each other's way and Kyros sends you to proclaim an Edict; if the rebels aren't put down by a certain date then everyone in the valley will die. Things will escalate from here.

The companions are all fairly interesting. You have a good variety across casters and melee people, and naturally they represent a variety of factions as well. You can gain their loyalty and their fear, each of which can confer benefits. This also ties into the larger reputation system, where every faction can gain Favor or Wrath, and gaining either high enough can confer benefits, both in dialog and in combat. This is not a binary system; each is a separate meter like the Paragon/Renegade system of Mass Effect.

The game also gives you a variety of choices. These tend to have further reaching consequences than in your average CRPG; it reminded me more of the consequences in The Witcher where something you decided hours ago affects what happens now. And I think that's a good game to compare it to story-wise, as this is a similarly greyer world. While you are working for what might traditionally be called an evil overlord the goal is to bring order and stability to the world. It's clear from dialog that Kyros administers the conquered territories according to proper law. Kyros is definitely in the category of Lawful Evil on the D&D scale, with the evil coming mostly from harshness in the administration, rather than your traditional petty evil.

I highly recommend this one to RPG fans.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have you played a Human Resource Machine? It is another "programming" game that requires you to complete tasks with a very limited drag-and-drop programming language. I really enjoyed it, and I think you might enjoy it too. (I also understand that is a lot easier than TIS-100, but it makes up for it with a great personality.)

I have not. Part of what drew me to TIS-100 (as opposed to SpaceChem) was the very explicit programming going on. Sure, the ISA makes the NES's 6502 look decadent, but that adds to the fun. I also picked up Shenzhen I/O, which combines programming with circuit design.

Have you played Robot Odyssey? It sounds similar to Shenzhen I/O. I have also read that it is the hardest game in any genre, which makes me want to give it a shot.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Never heard of it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

Have you played Robot Odyssey? It sounds similar to Shenzhen I/O. I have also read that it is the hardest game in any genre, which makes me want to give it a shot.

Robot Odyssey is... woo. I don't know about hardest game in any genre, but it will put a programmer's mind to task. For a 1984 game it was incredibly advanced.

For a less taxing game about programming robots, I suggest the Carnage Heart series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnage_Heart

The one to go with is: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games ... t-exa-psp/

More info on EXA: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526713

And while we're talking about programming robots, I have a soft spot for Faselei!. Every time you make your mech attack, you have to program its sequence of events (sort of like Carnage Heart, but much more simply):

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/faselei/faselei.htm

All good stuff.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 113

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (13 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17
67. Epic Dumpster Bear - Wii U - June 20
68. B3: Game Expo for Bees - Wii U - June 21

July (7 Games Beaten)
69. Raiden V - Xbox One - July 16
70. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U - July 16
71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23
72. Lost Sea - Playstation 4 - July 24
73. Far Cry Primal - Playstation 4 - July 27
74. Black - Playstation 2 - July 28
75. Until Dawn - Playstation 4 - July 31

August (15 Games Beaten)
76. Divine Sealing - Mega Drive - August 1
77. Gal*Gun: Double Peace - Playstation 4 - August 2
78. Valkyria Chronicles II - PSP - August 5
79. Breach and Clear - Vita - August 10
80. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube - August 12
81. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation - August 15
82. Hello Kitty Kruisers - Wii U - August 16
83. Monster Monpiece - Vita - August 17
84. Army Men: Major Malfunction - Xbox - August 17
85. Layers of Fear - Steam - August 18
86. Kirby: Planet Robobot- 3DS - August 19
87. Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii - August 20
88. Caladrius Blaze - PlayStation 4 - August 20
89. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype - Vita - August 22
90. Saints Row IV - PS4 - August 30

September (8 Games Beaten)
91. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X - PS4 - September 2
92. Attack on Titan - PS4 - September 3
93. SOMA - Steam - September 5
94. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4 - September 8
95. Attack of the Friday Monsters! - 3DS - September 17
96. The Witcher - GOG.com - September 19
97. GunValkyrie - Xbox - September 21
98. P.N.03 - Gamecube - September 22

October (10 Games Beaten)
99. XCOM 2 - PS4 - October 3
100. Gears of War: Judgement - Xbox 360 - October 8
101. Ninja Pizza Girl - Wii U - October 8
102. Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive - Steam - October 9
103. EVE: Valkyrie - PlayStation 4 - October 14
104. Gears of War 4 - Xbox One - October 18
105. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - PlayStation 4 - October 18
106. Battlefield 1 - PlayStation 4 - October 20
107. EVE: Gunjack - PlayStation 4 - October 20
108. Titanfall 2 - PlayStation 4 - October 30

November (5 Games Beaten)
109. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces - Wii - November 3
110. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Vita - November 6
111. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Wii U - November 11
112. State of Decay - Xbox One - November 15
113. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PlayStation 4 - November 20

113. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PlayStation 4 - November 20

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is a game that I looked cautiously forward to. The past two Call of Duty titles - Advanced Warfare and Black Ops III - impressed me a lot with their campaigns (the only game mode I really care much about). Due to that budding streak of well written, well executed single players, I was optimistic about Infinite Warfare (despite the stupid name). I was, however, hesitant about the space setting. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE sci-fi FPS campaigns. My concern was whether or not Call of Duty would do it well.

I am, however, pleased to report that while not a flawless execution, Infinite Warfare is a fantastic game, and Call of Duty is definitely on a winning streak. I've played through the entire campaign, a couple games of zombies, and a handful of online matches on both regular and hardcore, so I'm going to address all three game modes starting with multiplayer. Multiplayer is definitely the weak link in this game. It doesn't do much wrong, per se, but it's just...me. If you've played Titanfall 2, imagine the Pilots Only game mode but not good. That's it feels like. On regular, the guns feel like pea shooters; on hardcore, the guns feel like every other Call of Duty's regular mode guns. The whole thing just feels rather watered down. None of the guns really "feel" good to me, and the reduced damage output just gives the game an awkward, foreign feel.

Zombies more than makes up for the lackluster multiplayer. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best zombies mode yet in a Call of Duty game. The whole thing has an over-the-top 80's theme, and it REALLY works. The gunplay feels solid in this game mode, and the 80's clichés give it just enough humor to break the tension. The character selection is nice as well, with each having his or her own personality. It really doesn't do anything to change the fundamental foundation of CoD zombies, but the stylistic changes and subtle adjustments are very nice. It has a card system that gives you some temporary power-ups, but I kept forgetting about them, so I can't really speak much about that specific feature.

The real star of the show with this game is the campaign story mode. The method of storytelling isn't as brilliantly executed as the first Black Ops, and the story itself isn't as well written as Black Ops III or Advanced Warfare, but the structure of the campaign is stellar and a VERY welcome departure from the traditional strictly linear campaign progression. Infinite Warfare's campaign introduces a map system similar to that seen in the Mass Effect series (though not nearly as detailed) where you can pick either the main mission or a series of side missions, each of which unlocks different perks and bonuses that help you in later missions and carry over into subsequent playthroughs.

The other feature that really keeps the game from feeling stale is that it's probably 30% or 40% space combat sim. While most of the game is your standard FPS, most main missions have some component that takes place in a Jackal, a small space fighter. There isn't a massive amount of customization you can do on the jackal, but you can choose from 15 or 20 nose paint jobs as well as three primary weapons, three secondary weapons, and three enhancements (either weapons, hull, or thrusters). In addition to the main missions, roughly half of the optional side missions are exclusively space combat. Add to that the free downloadable PlayStation VR Jackal combat game (it's only one mission, so I didn't bother listing it as a beaten game), and it's clear that a lot of effort went into the single player experience for this entry.

I'm still holding Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops III as the best and second best games in the Call of Duty series, respectively, but Infinite Warfare definitely takes the #3 spot, and those three games are all VERY close in my book. Even if you never touch the online multiplayer, fans of sci-fi games and single player FPS games absolutely should not miss Infinite Warfare. The name is dumb, and the multiplayer is disappointing, but the zombies mode is great, and the campaign is absolutely phenomenal. Doom is definitely the best single player shooter of 2016, but Infinite Warfare may well be my pick for #2.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:Never heard of it.

Cool. Here a good article on it (and its legendary difficulty):

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/01/robot_odyssey_the_hardest_computer_game_of_all_time.html
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

MrPopo wrote:76. TIS-100 - PC

I've had my eye on that for a while, but sort of hoped I might have it show up randomly in my steam inventory like Spacechem. Sounds a little like some contrived arrangement of awkwardly IIC interfaced controllers--or are they full duplex? As much as I like puzzle games, that's a little off putting to me, and I get the sense I'd be better off just spending the time on an actual project. Do you think it's a better play for someone who already knows assembly, or for someone who wanted to learn some of the basics?

-----

1-50
1: Rakugaki Ninja (Mac)
2: Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story) (Mac)
3: Dimahoo (ARC)
4: Rez (DC)
5: L.O.L.: Lack of Love (DC)
6: Rockman 7: Shukumei no Taiketsu! (SFC)
7: Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san (SFC)
8: Super Metroid (SFC)
9: Dragon Force (Saturn)
10: Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
11: Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck (GEN)
12: Mario Story (Paper Mario) (N64)
13: Rockman & Forte (SFC)
14: Sparkster (GEN)
15: Lumino City (Steam)
16: Braid (Mac)
17: Kirby: Air Ride (GCN)
18: Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (GCN)
19: Starfox Assault (GCN)
20: Terra Phantastica (Saturn)
21: Pikmin (GCN)
22: Doubutsu Banchou (Cubivore) (GCN)
23: Eternal Darkness: Manekareta 13-nin (GCN)
24: Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu (MD)
25: Densetsu no Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (Saturn)
26: Cibele (Mac)
27: Linda Cube - Kanzenban (Saturn)
28: Sonic the Hedgehog (MD-JP)
29: Pulseman (MD)
30: Surging Aura (MD)
31: Pu-Li-Ru-La (Saturn)
32: Purikula Daisakusen (Saturn)
33: Daytona USA (Saturn)
34: MegaMan ZX (DS)
35: Red Arimer II (Gargoyle's Quest II) (FC)
36: Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu (FC)
37: Hi no Tori - Hou-ou Hen: Gaou no Bouken (FC)
38: DuckTales (NES)
39: Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (NES)
40: Groove on Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3 (Saturn)
41: Omakase! Savers (Saturn)
42: Hamelin no Violin-hiki (SFC)
43: Dark Half (SFC)
44: Alcahest (SFC)
45: Super Mario World: SMB 4 (SFC)
46: MIckey's Magical Adventure (SFC)
47: Dragon Quest III (SFC)
48: The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie (GEN)
49: Gyakuten Saiban 3 (DS)
50: Dynamite Deka 2 (DC)

51: Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II (FC)
52: Biohazard 2 (DC)
53: Biohazard 3: Last Escape (DC)
54: Biohazard Code: Veronica - Kanzenban (DC)
55: Lunar: The Silver Star (SCD)
56: Escape Goat (GOG)
57: Magicool (PCE-CD)

I've pretty much said my piece on the majority of these new ones, in other places. All of them are good.

I would like to know who would finish Escape Goat with 64 of 65 stages completed. I finally caved, and bought the game in the most recent GOG sale, which was a good decision, because it's a fun game, and the soundtrack is godly. It sounds a lot like something from a TG-CD, or Sega CD game. I finished with 63 of 65 stages complete, because I ran out of patience on the stage with a stupid number of keys being guarded by robed asshats. I also took ~350 deaths, but most of those were from only two or three stages. I'm not too sure if I'll go back to play the bonus challenge that was unlocked. I don't mind that the main mode is pretty short, but my one criticism might be that it's a pretty easy game, for the most part. Not excessively so, but I was anticipating some trickier solutions. I'm a little excited to play the sequel, at least.

The cover may say "Magicoal" in roman letters, but it's a lie. At least, it's incongruous with what it should be, phonetically: 'Magicool.' Anyway, Magicool is a colorful ARPG for the PC Engine Super CD ROM(ROM). The main characters, Rhun (pronounced like, "Rune") and Melvy, are taking in the sights and sounds of their local carnival, when Rhun runs off with some of Melvy's food. As she gives chase, they stumble upon a manor in the woods, and are teleported to a land of legend, watched over by the goddess Aermille. While the two attempt to get back home by meeting with the goddess, and asking for her help, they find that towns/kingdoms are being attacked by monsters, and a new religious group is calling it the work of the goddess.

It's not an incredibly engaging story, partly because it doesn't flow especially well in terms of story telling, but the characters are pretty solid, and it's fun to play. Rhun is a magician, while Melvy is an elementalist, and each one has 32 spells that can be collected during the course of the game through random drops, dialogue, puzzles and "sidequests." Some of them are practically impossible to get without knowing how to get them ahead of time, which can be bad, since they vary greatly in terms of strength and utility. I could see a situation where someone hadn't gotten one or two of the more powerful spells, and was just boned for the rest of the game. Also, if playing with one player, the computer controls the other character, and you have to go through the pause menu to switch between characters, which is a little bit of a hassle at times. I wasn't able to use the 6-button mode on my avenue-6 pad, so as far as I'm aware, there's no way of changing which character you control with the press of a button or button combo, which would have been a nice feature.

The game plays out in a linear fashion, stage by stage, but there are still a lot of flags that have to be triggered in a particular order to progress. If it weren't for that, I would say this is a very playable game, with or without a translation. It's also considerably longer than I had anticipated, but the soundtrack is, once again, fantastic, and easily ripped from the game disc. So, I wouldn't highly recommend it, but it's one of the less expensive PC Engine games out there. It could be worth getting as a music CD alone.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

pierrot wrote:
MrPopo wrote:76. TIS-100 - PC

I've had my eye on that for a while, but sort of hoped I might have it show up randomly in my steam inventory like Spacechem. Sounds a little like some contrived arrangement of awkwardly IIC interfaced controllers--or are they full duplex? As much as I like puzzle games, that's a little off putting to me, and I get the sense I'd be better off just spending the time on an actual project. Do you think it's a better play for someone who already knows assembly, or for someone who wanted to learn some of the basics?

As long as you're comfortable with the general nature of programming I think it would be fine. It doesn't get into any of the more confusing assembly aspects like accessing memory, flags, shifts/rolls, and the like. I'd also say it doesn't really teach you assembly in any useful way; the main thing it does is teach you to get down to a very fundamental building block state of mind.