Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

I too have only played Majora's Mask once, but so much of it has still stuck with me after all these years. Just like replaying Twilight Princess with the HD release, having only played this one once before as well about 10 years ago when it released, so much of the game came back to me as I progressed. It was a cool experience.

Looking forward to getting a 3DS someday to catch up on those three Zelda's.

It's weird I've not replayed the 3D ones much myself, but they're some of my favorite games ever. OoT is a different story though, I've probably beaten it a dozen times.

Have you or Ex played FFIII (J)? That's one for my list of accolades hehe. Was a monster of a game, but I had a blast with it. It's definitely 99% dungeon grinds though, but when that mood hits it delivers.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Borderlands 2 (Normal Mode), for Xbox 360, as Zer0. Currently playing as Zer0 in True Vault Hunter Mode. Don't have any DLC yet, so as of right now I can't go past level 50 (I'm at level 40).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:Have you or Ex played FFIII (J)? That's one for my list of accolades hehe. Was a monster of a game, but I had a blast with it. It's definitely 99% dungeon grinds though, but when that mood hits it delivers.

I've beaten the DS port but I never finished the NES version. I had it on emulator back in high school, used the overflow trick to get a full set of Onion Equipment on my guys, had a save state (but no save files) in the final area against the four bosses to weaken the Cloud of Darkness and I got utterly destroyed by Dual Hydra. I was running dual wield Onion Sword on everyone and no shields and he just deals too much damage; each turn was a one shot. Since that's past the point of no return I ended up dropping the game and then lost the save. So I plan to go back and beat my repro cart at some point in the future.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Screw that noise, tread the lower levels of the final dungeon to get the Sage and Ninja classes. I used two Sage's and two Ninja to finish it out.

At least you experienced the hilarity that is the final stretch of that game. On the world map you have to go through a dungeon to get to the final dungeon which is so big and diversive it's practically 3-4 dungeons in one. I remember it taking me literally about 10 hours along to finish out the combo breaker of final dungeons.

The hidden passages in this one were so cryptic too. Game was brutal! But I loved it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You can't get out of the Dark World once you go in it (after you kill what's his name). So Sage and Ninja were off limits. Or maybe I did get them but had literally nothing to equip them with, which is the same difference. It was hubris for exploiting a cheesy rollover bug to steamroll the other 99% of the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think you're right as you get warped to the final, crystal dungeon. Either way, would probably take another few hours just to backtrack down to the lower levels anyways. :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I beat both versions, but remember save stating quite a bit towards the end of the NES version. I don't believe there was much changed as far as balancing on the DS version, and that last run was absolutely brutal. I'm wanting to say a concerted attempt would take 2-3 hours to get through. And don't lose against the final boss, 'cause then you have to do it all over again!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The main change in the DS version (aside from class rebalancing to make early classes not shit and late classes not god tier) is that since it can't support as many enemies on screen at once they instead increased the number of attacks enemies get, which included many bosses getting multiple actions.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ah, interesting. Which one was considered harder, or are they both considered pretty equal? (That's how it felt to me, that they were both pretty close in terms of challenge.)

Also, no question Ninjas and Sages were the bomb for the NES version. Crazy powerful. I actually didn't completely commit to that route in the DS version, instead going with a Black Belt class and a Summoner to pair with my... Ninja and Sage. Hey, at least I had a little variety!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1

Okay, so first off, when you play Alien Rage, there will be two things that run through your mind within the first half hour or so. The first is going to be "Jesus Christ, this game is brutal." The three difficulties in this game are Challenging, Hard, and Brutal, and it fits. Challenging is about the same level of difficulty as Hard in a Call of Duty game - definitely doable, but it's not a cake walk. The second thing that will run through your mind is "Wow, this is a super generic space marine shooter." You wouldn't be entirely wrong, but you would be doing yourself a disservice by quitting there and picking up a more "original" game.

Alien Rage is one of those games that should be just "meh, okay, whatever," but it's actually a genuinely fun time, and it packs a great challenge. Those who know me know that I tend not to go for "challenging" games. I like to play through a game mostly for the environment or story, but I'm not that great at most games, and I don't like to spend a lot of time redoing the same boss or level over and over again until I stop sucking too much to beat it. This game is right amount of challenge for me - just hard enough to keep me on my toes (at least on the Challenging difficulty) and just interesting enough (mainly how their bodies explode into meat chunks when I shoot them with the shotgun) to keep me playing through a particularly difficult boss fight.

Did I mention that there are giant robots? Because there are giant f***ing robots. And then there are some GIANT giant robots. Then there's the final boss. That shit's nightmare fuel. That's all I'll say about that.

So the thing about Alien Rage is that it's like Shadow Warrior (the reboot) or Earth Defense Force - it's really generic, and it's super cheesy, but there's just something about it that makes is AMAZING. It's got that thing, man. That thing that I said Yoshi's New Island didn't have? Yeah, this game has that thing, but it's got a special sub-species of thing - the mindless slaughter thing. It strikes that perfectly balance between legitimate combat and "I'm literally a god." I mean, if you dick around too much, you'll get rekt, but if you time your crouching, your sprinting, your pants wetting, etc., then it's one of the most immensely satisfying gore-fests I've played in a long time.

It's normal price is $20, and I'm not sure it's worth quite that much (I got it in a bundle), but if you see it on sale (looking at you, Steam Summer Sale) or in a bundle, DEFINITELY pick it up. It's more than worth the price of entry if you can find it for $10 or less.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.