Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland

You're awesome.

Also interesting that this one is so much more difficult than the other two you've played. I thought the series difficulty remained constant throughout more or less.

Haha thanks.

Honestly, now that I think about it, I think my main difficulty was that I got stuck at a boss and thought I needed more items. So I got a bunch more items, that didn't work, but then I found out I could recruit Sterk. All the guides I read said that to defeat the boss with Rorona and some other lady so I thought finding him wasn't important. But I tried to beat the boss anyway and he had a crazy awesome move (which no one mentioned about of course) which helped me beat the boss. So if I knew that I could of recruited Sterk, maybe I could of beaten the game in time? Not sure.

Either way, doesn't make everything else any less frustrating :|
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

laurenhiya21 wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland

You're awesome.

Also interesting that this one is so much more difficult than the other two you've played. I thought the series difficulty remained constant throughout more or less.

Haha thanks.

Honestly, now that I think about it, I think my main difficulty was that I got stuck at a boss and thought I needed more items. So I got a bunch more items, that didn't work, but then I found out I could recruit Sterk. All the guides I read said that to defeat the boss with Rorona and some other lady so I thought finding him wasn't important. But I tried to beat the boss anyway and he had a crazy awesome move (which no one mentioned about of course) which helped me beat the boss. So if I knew that I could of recruited Sterk, maybe I could of beaten the game in time? Not sure.

Either way, doesn't make everything else any less frustrating :|

You went through the game in a damn weird order if you reached that boss without Sterk.

Sterk and Mimi were my battle party for the most of the game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20 (420 bl4ze 1t)

I'm probably one of the few Playstation owners who has never played any of the Ratchet and Clank games. I've seen my friends play them when I was in high school and the first one or two came out on the Playstation 2. I always knew I'd like the games, and I always intended to get them and play them at some point, but up until this new release, I'd never gotten around to it.

Holy sweet baby Jesus, though, this game is freaking amazing. Like, I don't know how it compares to the original game, but for someone who's never played a game in the series before, this game is damn amazing. It's beautiful, and it runs extremely smoothly. It's one of the few games that I went out of my way to do the extra stuff. I went out and found all 28 golden bolts, and I found all 9 RYNO cards. I actually managed to find all of the RYNO cards on my own, and I only needed a guide to find three or four of the golden bolts. Truth be told, I'll probably play some more tonight in Challenge Mode and try to level up and upgrade my weapons.

I know I'm super Captain Late to the Game with the Ratchet and Clank series, but srsly, if any of you PS4 owners haven't played this game yet, JUST DO IT. It's cheap for a new retail game, too - only $40 as opposed to $60.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I found out I could recruit Sterk.

alienjesus wrote:Sterk and Mimi were my battle party for the most of the game.

Sterk was my annihilating tank in Rorona. Always bet on Sterk!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

alienjesus wrote:You went through the game in a damn weird order if you reached that boss without Sterk.

Sterk and Mimi were my battle party for the most of the game.

Honestly, I have no clue when or how I unlocked him. I could of unlocked him way before the boss, but I don't remember the game telling me that I could recruit him so I didn't look. I think I only eventually found him by chance. :|

And now that I'm thinking about it, this seems like such a silly mistake to make :oops:
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Now I'm ever more excited to play Heavenly Sword! I love engaging in conflicting opinions :3

Heavenly Sword was quite fun. To me most games that people put time and care in to the making of are enjoyable if you have the right expectations. With HS expect a 6 - 8 hour game with God of War-lite combat and a sweeping story with Anna Torv (gal from Fringe) as the protagonist and Andy Serkis as the bad guy.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:

50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)

Not going to be very verbose, a good game that costs way too much these days for my blood. Still wish my cousin had let me know he was selling his NES stuff back in the day, he let his 20+ games and system go for $20. One of those carts was DuckTales 2.

EDIT: Been a long time since I played through Rush'n Attack. I was pretty good at the game back in the day, beating it without save states or Game Genie on the actual system. I didn't do that this time, but I did finally pick up some tricks that I'd forgotten, and of course the biggest one is just to slow down!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4

You know, I have to say, the final boss of Dark Souls 3 is actually not too bad. Like Gwyn, he's a rather straightforward boss who's mostly just a larger version of a player character with hideous levels of stamina. Unlike Gwyn, he doesn't combo quite as much and NPCs are FAR more useful in this game. If you're on the path for the ending I was you get up to two NPC helpers who do an amazing job of drawing aggro (although you'll only want to use one to avoid the huge gain in HP from each coop partner). It also helped that he is vulnerable to bleed, so my Uchigatana +10 was doing large bursts of damage every so often.

Dark Souls 3 for the most part is an iteration on the previous two games. The biggest new addition is that they brought back the mana bar from Demon's Souls. Here it is used to either power your magic or to activate the special abilities of your weapons. Every weapon has some form of special ability, though the caveat is that they are triggered with L2, so you either need to be two handing or have a shield who's L2 attack is "Weapon skill". The other big addition is that they switched out the twinblades of Dark Souls 2 with dual wield weapons. Instead of the previous system of equipping a second weapon in your off hand and maybe it does something useful, in this game there are weapons that come as a pair. If you equip them in your right hand they start off wielding the first weapon, so you can still use a shield. Hit the two hand button and you put away the shield and pull out the second blade, letting you alternate between the two attack buttons to swing with each weapon (with a variety of moves depending on the order you do your attacks in). Integrating it in this fashion lets you transition between offense and defense depending on how things are going, which seems like a bit of the Bloodborne influence.

As I alluded to, NPCs have been buffed for boss fights. They can take a fair amount of damage and are good about healing, so I found bosses I was able to summon on (most of them) to be mostly one-shottable (and two-shottable in a couple of other cases). The bosses that gave me the most trouble were the ones I had to solo. Especially that Dancer of Boreal Valley. Her super long combos were nasty as hell and really punished slow weapons.

Most of the bosses fall into the category of large humanoid, which was a bit of a disappointment compared to previous games which were a mix of humanoids you duel and giant monsters you need to outmaneuver. The humanoids end up being a bit samey in terms of tactics.

Still, great game. I still have one optional boss left to kill (who's harder than the final boss), though given the number of games that just came out I probably won't be killing him any time soon.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Stark wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Now I'm ever more excited to play Heavenly Sword! I love engaging in conflicting opinions :3

Heavenly Sword was quite fun. To me most games that people put time and care in to the making of are enjoyable if you have the right expectations. With HS expect a 6 - 8 hour game with God of War-lite combat and a sweeping story with Anna Torv (gal from Fringe) as the protagonist and Andy Serkis as the bad guy.

Does it have lots of QTE's? That was one that thing was sooooo refreshing about Enslaved: No freaking QTE's. I kept expecting them, every time I had to go up and tear apart some thing, but no, they never came. So nice not to have to murder my hand because video games.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Does it have lots of QTE's? That was one that thing was sooooo refreshing about Enslaved: No freaking QTE's. I kept expecting them, every time I had to go up and tear apart some thing, but no, they never came. So nice not to have to murder my hand because video games.

It does, and it's not particularly forgiving about them if I recall. There are also some sequences that can/try to use Sixaxxis controls for projectiles. I'd say it's more of a mixed bag, as it was originally a multiplatform game that Sony negotiated to an early PS3 exclusive/showcase.

Either way, it's fairly short, it's dirt cheap, and there are parts of it that really reflect the budget/talent involved. There are just also parts that are a bit dated or don't hold up well.