Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by Exhuminator Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:42 pm

dsheinem wrote:Wait, so these GB shmup runs have all been 1ccs w/no cheats/save states/etc.?

Nah I don't share that same criteria. If I beat a shmup using available lives and continues (sans cheats) and get to the credits screen, that's beaten enough for me.

1. Mega Man ZX Advent|DS|2007|platformer|8h|7/10
2. King's Field III: Pilot Style|PS1|1996|dungeon crawler|1h|8/10
3. Sleeping Dogs|360|2012|action-adventure|20h 45m|8/10
4. Sleepings Dogs: NiNP DLC|360|2012|action adventure|1h 22m|5/10
5. Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS|GB|1992|shmup|33m|8/10
6. Vattle Giuce|GB|1991|shmup|45m|5/10
7. MechWarrior 2 (Clan Wolf)|PS1|1997|mech sim|2h 35m|7/10
8. Gradius: The Interstellar Assault|GB|1992|shmup|27m|8/10
9. SolarStriker|GB|1990|shmup|23m|7/10
10. Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|45m|6/10
11. Dead or Alive (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|23m|5/10
12. Asuka 120% Burning Festival Final (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|26m|8/10
13. Soul Blade (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|18m|9/10
14. Trax|GB|1991|shmup|23m|7/10

Spent another two hours with PS1 fighter arcade modes last night. Got to the credits screen with these five...

15. Street Fighter: The Movie (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1995|fighter|36m|5/10
Pretty shabby tie in with the pretty shabby movie. Solid enough controls but the computer AI's moves are given precedence over the player's, leading to an unfair disadvantage. I only recommend this as a morbid curiosity. Thankfully the digitized photograph look didn't catch on for this series.

16. Warpath: Jurassic Park (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|17m|4/10
Rather terrible fighter that I would say was meant for kids but it's got bloody fights. The dinosaurs themselves are rendered graphically very impressively. The rest of the graphics are rather bad. Fighting is super simple and unexciting. Not recommended.

17. Psychic Force (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|figher|22m|7/10
Really cool aerial arena fighter that suffers from a lack of combat complexity. If you just want to fly around and shoot magic beams at opponents, Psychic Force has got you covered. It's fun for a while, just because it's different, but Psychic Force's shallowness soon becomes all too apparent. Pretty good graphics on the character models though.

ImageImageImage
18. Touki Denshou: Angel Eyes (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|27m|7/10
Very solid all female 2D brawler. Nice tight controls and decent movesets. Rapidly paced battles and strong computer AI. Weird mix of character art that utilizes both hand drawn and rendered sprites. A bit ecchi. Recommended for fans of esoteric import fighters.

ImageImageImage
19. Advanced V.G. 2 (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|15m|8/10
A very well made all female 2D fighter. Solid controls, great moves, and a decent amount of depth. The hand drawn sprites are excellent and are well animated. Backgrounds are nicely detailed with cool special effects. Splendid AI will kick your butt on higher difficulty. Good music and convincing sound effects. I strongly recommend this fighter for PS1 importers.

I'm tapping out on fighters for a while and getting back in the ring with King's Field III now.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm

You are inspiring me to play more PS1 fighters...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

TSTR wrote:You are inspiring me to play more PS1 fighters...

There's quite a few on the system, even if you don't include imports. I've still got a bucket of them I want to try out, but my poor thumbs need a rest. :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Ys: Oath of Felghana for PC, on Very Easy, but I missed one of the missable items (it's the item that makes monsters drop more items that you get by saving the Count's kid). Other than that I managed to get all 3 emeralds, all 3 topazes (topazi?), all three rubies, and both collected AND maxed out every sword, shield and armor to level 3.

But it turns out that aside from a higher-resolution, the PC version literally has NOTHING on the PSP version (which was based on the PC version, but tailored to the PSP with added shit).
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:36 pm

01. MagMax (NES)
02. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (GEN) [2-player]
03. Sonic Spinball (GEN)*

04. Sonic Spinball (GEN)*

Is it in bad taste to list the same game twice? Probably. Let me know if it is and I'll change this later. But for the moment I gotta share my triumph with you guys.

I just had a no-death run of Sonic Spinball in which I got all the rings on every level (thereby unlocking every bonus stage) and completed five of the seven bonus rounds. I am so satisfied.

I've looked at some Sonic Spinball FAQs and no one seems to know where the bonus gates appear in the final stage, so I took a picture of the only one I could find. They put it in the trolliest place possible: in the middle of a Balloon Mania. Even Sonic seems overcome by it:

Final score: 167,836,392.

* = replay

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
flash1987
24-bit

by flash1987 Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:36 pm

1. Grim Dawn (PC)
2. Dragon Ball GT: Transformation. (GBA)

New - 3. Sunset Riders (MAME)

Had some friends over for a games night and quickly smashed through Sunset Riders on 3 player. Obviously using an absolute ton of credits each but still a really fun 20 or so minutes.
Really fun run and gun mechanics with a beautiful art style and some unforgiving yet still enjoyable boss fights.
The competitive cash/score elements also keep it fun in multiplayer.

New - 4. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Fightcade)

First of the 2D fighters I plan on playing through but also ended up taking pretty much a whole afternoon from me as I tried out a few characters and then played arcade mode through fully with 3 characters (B. Jenet, Kevin and Kim Jae Hoon).
Also tried playing online using Fightcade (which is awesome) and got absolutely owned by the 3 or 4 people I played.
I enjoyed the combo and super followed by power moves and the T.O.P. system was interesting although I'm not sure it adds that much.
The CPU could be an absolute douchebag at times and totally cheesed some matches, I'm sure to pull in extra quarters. For example in one match Tizot the wrestler walks up and does the same slam four times in a row, immediate KO, only to follow up with another 3 and a cheap shot.... no escape.
I definitely found B Jenet the most versatile of the characters and coasted through most of her arcade mode.
A fighter I'll return to I think but going to check out some others next.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:22 am

flash1987 wrote:A fighter I'll return to I think but going to check out some others next.
If you've never played it, I can't recommend this enough:

MAME version is my favorite but other versions are probably alright.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 am

Not going to count it as beaten yet but I'm on my fourth play through of 9 People 9 Hours 9 Doors. Altogether there are I believe 6 endings. I've only seen 2 so far though :lol:. First two playthroughs gave me the same ending, third gave me a new one but still bad, and I'm hoping to get the good one with the fourth play through. Stinks that you can't skip the dialogue you've seen entirely but I'm happy that they at least included a pretty rapid fast forward setting where you simply have to hold right down on the directional pad and it will fly through any text that you've already seen.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 pm

1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis

So I decided I was going to go through a game I haven't beaten in a long, long time, and that's Crystalis. It was easily one of my favorite NES games back in the day, and it still doesn't disappoint today. There are the usual caveats about weird quest triggers and a general lack of direction, but I didn't find it terribly difficult to remember what to do in most instances. Anyway, in some ways, it feels like it's got some Ys DNA, right down to the equipment selection and the gated progression based on level (you can't even damage some enemies until you hit a minimum level).

The other frustration I had wasn't even related to the game, it was that I had forgotten I had save states enabled and accidentally restored a state waaaaay back, losing a significant chunk of progress. Well, the Internet is always a solution for these things, so I found a save, hex edited it in, and... it kept grabbing my old save. I fought and fought with it, then finally (stupid me) realized that the way the EverDrive handles saving is to write to the SD card on reset or power up. So the old save was stomping on what I was replacing. Derpy derp derp. I should have known that, too, from my dealings with GBA flash carts, but whatever. Anyway, it only took me like 30 minutes from that point to finish it off. I figure it took five-six hours or so, and even going in blind, it should be easily doable in under ten.

At any rate, I highly recommend the game. I'm still not sure there's anything out there quite like it, with the concentration on charged sword shots and such. I know there's a indie out there called EvilQuest that apes some of the mechanics, but I haven't given it a lot of time.
Last edited by Sarge on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Crystalis rules.

Save states can be dangerous. I was playing an RPG the other week (forget which one) and has been skipping the traditional save points to use save states instead. Accidentally loaded an old save and lost about an hour's progress. Now I make sure to use both.
Return to General Gaming