Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

My younger sibling LOVES the Danganranpa series, and immediately bought each of them as they finally came to the states. I've never dug into them though. I might finally have to now. Anything Ace Attorney-ish is at least worth a try for me.

When you say rhythm game though, do you mean like you need sound to play it? I just usually play handheld games at school with the sound off, so that'd just be a bit of a bother for me.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

It is purely visual. In fact the entire game could be played without sound, although you'd miss the soundtrack and the oft humorous voice acting.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

01. MagMax (NES)
02. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (GEN) [2-player]
03. Sonic Spinball (GEN)*
04. Sonic Spinball (GEN)* [complete]
05. Comix Zone (GEN)*
06. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
07. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project (NES)
08. WCW World Championship Wrestling (NES)
09. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

And thus I wrap up a second seminal NES trilogy, put a handsome bow on it, and stick it on the shelf.
Mario 2 is a legitimately good time. We didn't have it while I was growing up, but sometime in high school one of my best friends found the cart at a second-hand store and gave it to me, having remembered that I'd always wanted it.

So what did I learn from all this Marioing? I confirmed that of all three games, this is my favorite. (I find it intriguing that my preference in the bunch is for the one that isn't actually a Mario game.) I enjoy being able to choose my character from a cast of varied strengths and weaknesses; I like this art style the most; I find these boss fights the most satisfying; this music makes me the happiest. The overall feel is just... joyful.

Somehow Mario 2 hasn't been affected by the bizarre shadow of aggravation and hesitancy that hangs over the other 2D Mario games in my mind (and yes, this includes World). I have no idea why this is. Perhaps since I didn't own it as a child, it doesn't stir up vague feelings of inadequacy and annoyance from a time when I was too unskilled to win? Or maybe it's just a better-balanced game? Or maybe the absence of a timer changes everything for me?

I might be onto something with the timer, actually. I didn't own Super Mario World growing up either, but it still doesn't quite click with me, which punches a hole in the "doesn't have baggage" theory. Hmm.

Regardless of the answer to this, what I can tell you is even when I Game Overed halfway through and had to start again from the beginning, I didn't mind so much. To me that is a significant personal marker of a game's success.

*replay

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So how many times did you choose to play as Princess Toadstool?

Oh, and you still have unfinished business. Check out The Lost Levels. Mwahahahaha.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Anything Ace Attorney-ish is at least worth a try for me.

Try these:

http://level5ia.com/mystery-room/us/home/

http://www.aviaryattorney.com/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Anything Ace Attorney-ish is at least worth a try for me.

Try these:

http://level5ia.com/mystery-room/us/home/

http://www.aviaryattorney.com/

He may also want to try out Harvey Birdman. It was also developed by Capcom.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So how many times did you choose to play as Princess Toadstool?
While I was playing I was chatting with my best friend, and our conversation went like this:

N: Who are you playing as?
K: Peach, obvs
N: just checking
K: ...is there another way to play this game

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh, and you still have unfinished business. Check out The Lost Levels. Mwahahahaha.
Hahaha NO.

I've watched an incredible speed run before and nearly turned blue from holding my breath the whole time. That's enough for me. :lol:

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Was it Big John? Because he's my favorite speedrunner to watch thanks to his amazing mic presence.

And yes, Toadstool is the only way to play Mario 2. Float jump is OP.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

It was GameJ06, and he sang about eggrolls. Not sure if he's the same guy you're thinking of.

Pretty sure I followed that link when a bunch of you guys were playing Lost Levels yourselves. In fact, it might have been you who linked it, Popo. And I know a bunch of you beat it, too.

Madness.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I FINALLY finished Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze last night. That game - especially the bosses - was tough as nails, but it's SO damn good. That last boss took me a good two hours and probably 50 lives, but I finally managed to beat him.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.