Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Have you or Ex played FFIII (J)?

I have not, but I have the PSP version of it. Figured that'd be the version I'd play when I get around to it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gross.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Gross.

Why do you say that?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (PSVita)

I literally had no idea what to expect going into this one, not even the genre, but damn if I wasn't happy with the final outcome.

The gameplay itself is a fairly standard Mystery Dungeon game, but with some neat twists. Instead of the main character having hunger, your partner Kuu has hunger, and you need to keep him fed if you want to keep progressing through a dungeon. Additionally, this hunger also serves as his health, so while he can be kinda strong and take some hits for you in a hallway, if you don't have food to give him afterward, it could be just as bad as dying. Eating is also how Kuu levels up, so shoveling any item you don't think you'll need into him immediately is encouraged. Leveling up not only increases his stats, but also gives him passives like elemental attacks, automatic item identification, and being a crafting station (discussed later).

The game is also fairly forgiving when it comes to dying. You lose all held cash and items, but you keep your equipped items, and you can also use ID Scrolls to mark other items which will be kept as well when you die. The game really stops fooling around around chapter 4 though. At chapter 4, you start encountering lots of enemies who can attack twice, and enemies who can make you drop your equipped weapons, thus making you definitely lose them forever when you die. This last bit really blows if you do what the game enourages, and use mostly just one or two weapons the whole game because of the upgrading system the game uses.

The upgrading system is nothing amazing, but it's a neat idea. Most every weapon in the game has some sort of passive. By using a weapon a lot, you can open up more passive slots on that weapon, and you can upgrade them using either the station at your home or Kuu if he has the passive (which are selected randomly upon gaining so many levels), by combining them with another weapon to absorb that weapon's passive. Most weapons upon picking up will be unidentified though, so only be equipping them can you see what they do. This is hazardous however, as some items are cursed as to not allow you to un-equip them once equipped, so if you're hunting for items and rapidly equipping them, you can get stuck with a lousy one if it's cursed.

Another main aspect of dungeoning is curry. Using a rice, a spice, and an ingredient you find in the dungeon, you can make a curry which acts as a buff for a certain period of time. Additionally to the items, is that you don't have persistent levels. Pupuru (the main character) and Kuu's levels are wiped following every dungeon, so killing lots of enemies and collecting lots of new items is heavily encouraged in every dungeon excursion.

Finally, one of my most loved parts, the story is very silly. Where it comes off as a bit strange at first, I quickly found myself growing to love the cast of silly characters, not to mention all of the GREAT music that accompanies them as their themes. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, and had me laughing quite a bit every time there was a dialogue scene (of which there are many).

In terms of complaints, it's mostly minor things. It can be kind of annoying to equip items as you get them to identify them, but that's associated with the danger of them being cursed, and if you don't want to risk it you can just immediately feed them to Kuu (or drop them) instead of identifying them anyway. Also Kuu will be dumb and wander where you don't want him to sometimes (like right in front of you) but this can be both helpful and hinderful, and fits with his quirky, selfish character (in my opinion).

Overall, a great mystery dungeon game and a great Vita exclusive that anyone who likes either anime or mystery dungeon games should certainly check out :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES
Super C - NES
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES
Tekken - PS1
The King of Fighters '99 - PS1
Street Fighter Alpha - PS1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - PS4
Three Fourths Home - PC
Firewatch - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
Far Cry: Primal - PS4
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - PS3
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - Xbox One
Android Assault Cactus - PS4
Table Top Racing - Vita
The Room - iOS
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - PS3
The Room 2 - iOS *new*
Broforce - PS4 *new*

Total: 23

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

The Room 2 is even better than the first, and offers lots of intriguing puzzles. I have already started on The Room 3, and this is hands down one of the most interesting iOS series I've spent time with.

Broforce has a lot to love, but unfortunately the PS4 version is buggy as fuck. There's a non-responsive controller glitch at the start of almost every level for a few seconds, and this makes playing some of the last levels of the game (at least one of which is timed) excruciatingly tough to complete. It is also possible to have levels end but not advance if you find ways of killing final enemies that are non-intended. Nonetheless, I marshaled through and sent the final boss packing, even if my time spent completing the game was probably closer to twice what HLTB says it should be. In any case, the humor is well done and the game is a ton of fun most of the time - but seek out the PC version if you can...at least until these bugs get patched.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (PSVita)

Glad you liked it :) Are you going to attempt the extra dungeon? I didn't since I had so many games to play and it's incredibly long (256 floors I think) but I might give it a go eventually :lol:
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Wii U - January 3
2. Fallout 4 - Xbox One - January 20
3. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 3 - January 29
4. Yakuza: Dead Souls - PlayStation 3 - February 5
5. Yakuza 5 - PlayStation 3 - February 27
6. The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - February 29
7. Yoshi's Wooly World - Nintendo Wii U - March 2
8. Bayonetta - Nintendo Wii U - March 6
9. Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U - March 20
10. Pokémon Yellow - Nintendo 3DS VC - April 2

21:56 play through. 45 Pokemon caught. Pikachu really is worthless later on sadly.

Final Comp:
Pikachu
Venasaur
Blastoise
Charizard
Mew
Articuno

Time to catch Mewtwo!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2

Alien April continues for me with this gem of a shooter from Team 17, the guys who made the venerable Worms series. Alien Breed: Impact is the first part of a trilogy of top-down arcade style shooters that I got in a bundle who knows how long ago as "Alien Breed Trilogy." You can get it by itself for $10 from Steam, or you can get it along with its two sequels - Alien Breed 2: Assault and Alien Breed 3: Descent - for $23 as Alien Breed Trilogy.

For those of you who have played Alien Syndrome on the Wii, this was EXTREMELY reminiscent of that game, but it plays much better than the Alien Syndrome reboot in my opinion. You play as Connor, a generic space marine-turned-chief engineer on a ship that's going somewhere for some reason. They don't really tell you why you were doing whatever it was that you were doing prior to the events of the game because about 10 seconds into the opening scene (all of which are done in a really great comic book style), your alcoholic pilot crashes the ship into some monolithic "ghost ship" that's just drifting through space.

This gentleman was probably the ship's pilot. #MakeEarthGreatAgain

So anyway, after your idiot pilot crashes your ship into some ancient, derelict dreadnought, killing like 90% of the crew, you go off to see what's what. Oh, and your character is a racist against synths. Cheers.

You explore the ship, trying to get systems restored when OH SHIT there are bug alien things trying to eat you. You start off with just a pistol (unlimited ammo) and an assault rifle (very not unlimited ammo), but the first few aliens you encounter are just stupid little ankle biters that you can kick to death with one hit. You start to see the giant bug-aliens that want to use their spiky alien mandibles to butter up your fleshy human pooper real good.

One thing I do want to note is that this game plays MUCH better with a gamepad. You can totally play it with a mouse and keyboard, and I'm sure that there are those who prefer that control scheme, but I found that an Xbox One controller worked far better for this game than a traditional PC control setup. The controls are about what you would expect from an arcade style shooter. It's almost a twin stick shooter in that you move with the left stick (obviously) and aim in a two dimensional circle with the right stick, using the right trigger to fire and the left trigger to use an item (medkit, grenade, etc.). You use the left and right bumpers to change the camera perspective. There's also a co-op feature, supported by both local and online mutliplayer, but I didn't play around with that.

This is not a complex game, nor is the story especially interesting until the end (in the last of the five chapters, there are some things that, if you pay attention, will make you say "Hmmm, why is that there?"). It's a whole bucket of alien-killing fun, though. You've got five weapons from which to choose - your pistol, an assault rifle, a shotgun, a laser rifle, and an ion gun. Oh, and a flamethrower, which is straight up sex. All of these weapons can be upgraded three times - one upgrade for fire rate, one upgrade for reload speed, and one upgrade for attack strength (which is the only one that I ever bothered spending credits on).

Now then...the flamethrower. Imagine, if you will, mixing the taste of your favorite food, the sound of a creek gently flowing over pebbles, and the sensation of vigorous fornication with your anime girl of choice, all blending into one euphoria. That euphoria is what you feel when you use the flamethrower in this game, ESPECIALLY after upgrading its firepower. It's just....bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss.

So here's basically what it boils down to. Aliens, arcade shooters, co-op, and flamethrowers - if you like any of two of those things, then you need to get this game. Like, yesterday. It's really great, surprisingly so. It feels like one of those gems of a game that manages to use a low budget to hit the "sweet spot" of gameplay, atmosphere, and charm that no $100,000,000 AAA title could ever quite emulate.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

laurenhiya21 wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (PSVita)

Glad you liked it :) Are you going to attempt the extra dungeon? I didn't since I had so many games to play and it's incredibly long (256 floors I think) but I might give it a go eventually :lol:

Well, knowing that it's THAT long, that puts just a smidge of fear into my heart about dying in it, but I'll probably give it a try or two if there's more story stuff to suss out. I just want more quests to complete so I can play more dress up X3
I'm not really in the mood to move onto anything else in terms of portable gaming, so I'll be with Pupuru and Kuu chan for the next week or so at least :3
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Gross.

Why do you say that?

I have a lot of love for the aesthetics of FF1-6. I have no interest in the 3D remakes of 3 and 4. Probably lame, but that's it. I wish 3 just got a simple face lift like the others did.