Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by strangenova »

Zelda 2 is good in its own way, but compared to the other Zelda games it's just not up to snuff. LttP has got some polished game mechanics and a timeless art design...Zelda 2 made some good additions to the series and remains a significant entry for it. But I'm not mad that they never went back to its design.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ALttP is the ne plus ultra Zelda. It's all been downhill from there.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think old school Zelda fans would at least still like the Capcom GBC games.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:I think old school Zelda fans would at least still like the Capcom GBC games.

*raises hand*

I really loved the 2D ones the best (oddly enough, all the ones that have been on portable systems). Especially the GBC and GBA releases. Those're my favorite Zelda games by far.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Xeogred wrote:I think old school Zelda fans would at least still like the Capcom GBC games.

I'm in that boat. The Oracle games are my favorite two GBC games. I haven't played the Minish Cap, though I've heard great things.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Exhuminator wrote:
All of that criticism however hardly matters when examining L.A. Noire's core strength. This is a mature game for actual adults. That is why so many younger gamers found L.A. Noire to be "boring'. The true enjoyment is to be found in its myriad subtleties and thoughtful reflections. And while the nitty gritty of the writing isn't so hot, the big picture is. L.A. Noire's plot itself is not traditionally rewarding, hardly anything goes as planned, plenty of questions are never answered, and there's no real happy ending. That sort of design is spot on noir though, so kudos for Brendan McNamara knowing his genre. I have to also commend L.A. Noire for not pulling punches when it comes to its subject matter. Be it rape, murder, pedophilia, etc. L.A. Noire does nothing to sugarcoat its harsh realities.

L.A. Noire is not 1947 GTA, plenty of people were disappointed when they realized that. There's plenty of gameplay here all the same, and there are dozens of other reviews of this game on the internet to explain that part to you. I just want you to know that L.A. Noire is an important experience, flawed as it is. A game that really tried hard to push its medium's slowly unfolding envelope a little wider. If you are a patient gamer who loves mysteries, and can appreciate the subtle details, you should find L.A. Noire to be a fine experience. Yes the end game is a let down, but it was still one helluva fall. Sometimes it's the euphoric descent that counts more than the bitter end. And this game built its gallows high, baby.

I own this. You've convinced me I really need to get around to playing it though.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I've never understood the hate for Zelda II. I haven't played it since the 80s or 90s, but I remember thinking it was a solid title. I still find that mirror image battle against shadow Link to be a highly memorable gaming moment.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:OK...I am just going to start a list:

People Who Are Terrible at Video Games and Who Video Games Hate So Much Because They Don't Like Zelda II

Mr. Popo
sarge
strangenova

People Who Are Pretty Much The Best At Everything And Recognize Zelda II's Genius

prfsnl_gmr
sarge

EDIT: In all seriousness...sigh...nevermind...

EDIT: Close enough! He's back in!

Sign me up for list 2. I like me some Zelda 2. It's way better than Zelda 1.

Zelda 1 is my far my least favourite in the series. It's the only one I don't adore. It's OK.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I do enjoy the GB and GBC (and GBA) Zeldas. Quality material. But I don't think they are better than ALttP.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, pretty much. I was worried when I heard Capcom was involved, but they turned out really, really well. Not up to the level of LA/LttP as far as "normal" Zelda titles go, but getting pretty close.

Again, it's all solid stuff. :)