Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I thought the ending was god tier. It was believable and different.

The gameplay is 10x better than Uncharted haha. But yeah, I pretty much played TLoU back to back with Evil Within, which has much better combat and gameplay to me (as expected from a Shinji Mikami game).

Next time I replay TLoU will be without that lame zombie/hearing aid vision thing.

Honestly (and this might ought to go in the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread), I HATED The Evil Within. It just felt kind of generic with the atmosphere, and neither the characters nor the story interested me. Idk what it was, but it just didn't do it for me.

Also, for games beaten, I just finished Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. That's one hell of a cliffhanger. Good thing I have Blood Drive sitting on my shelf. 8)

The Evil Within is just such a mess on a narrative level, it just ruined any entertainment I got out of the action bits. It came off as Resident Evil trying really hard to be Silent Hill, and just not doing it well.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

TSTR wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I tried The Last of Us at my brother's house once. I lasted (haha) about ten minutes then asked if we could switch to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

o dat crazy bone

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I thought the ending was god tier. It was believable and different.

The gameplay is 10x better than Uncharted haha. But yeah, I pretty much played TLoU back to back with Evil Within, which has much better combat and gameplay to me (as expected from a Shinji Mikami game).

Next time I replay TLoU will be without that lame zombie/hearing aid vision thing.

Honestly (and this might ought to go in the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread), I HATED The Evil Within. It just felt kind of generic with the atmosphere, and neither the characters nor the story interested me. Idk what it was, but it just didn't do it for me.

Also, for games beaten, I just finished Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. That's one hell of a cliffhanger. Good thing I have Blood Drive sitting on my shelf. 8)

The Evil Within is just such a mess on a narrative level, it just ruined any entertainment I got out of the action bits. It came off as Resident Evil trying really hard to be Silent Hill, and just not doing it well.

That's a fantastic analogy, actually. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was super disappointed in that game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)

Escape Goat is a pretty killer indie game. It is a single-screen puzzle platformer with a fantastic soundtrack. The puzzles are perfectly challenging, and the game never wears out its welcome. For $1, it is an absolute steal, and I highly recommend it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ex's 2016 beat list:
1. Mega Man ZX Advent|DS|2007|platformer|8h|7/10
2. King's Field III: Pilot Style|PS1|1996|dungeon crawler|1h|8/10
3. Sleeping Dogs|360|2012|action-adventure|20h 45m|8/10
4. Sleepings Dogs: NiNP DLC|360|2012|action adventure|1h 22m|5/10
5. Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS|GB|1992|shmup|33m|8/10
6. Vattle Giuce|GB|1991|shmup|45m|5/10
7. MechWarrior 2 (Clan Wolf)|PS1|1997|mech sim|2h 35m|7/10
8. Gradius: The Interstellar Assault|GB|1992|shmup|27m|8/10
9. SolarStriker|GB|1990|shmup|23m|7/10
10. Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|45m|6/10
11. Dead or Alive (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|23m|5/10
12. Asuka 120% Burning Festival Final (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|26m|8/10
13. Soul Blade (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|18m|9/10
14. Trax|GB|1991|shmup|23m|7/10
15. Street Fighter: The Movie (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1995|fighter|36m|5/10
16. Warpath: Jurassic Park (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|17m|4/10
17. Psychic Force (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|figher|22m|7/10
18. Touki Denshou: Angel Eyes (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|27m|7/10
19. Advanced V.G. 2 (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|15m|8/10
20. StarHawk|GB|1993|shmup|1h 15m|4/10
21. Nemesis|GB|1990|shmup|28m|7/10
22. Cardinal Syn (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1998|fighter|54m|7/10
23. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1997|fighter|15m|7/10
24. Street Fighter EX 2 Plus (Arcade Mode)|PS1|1999|fighter|22m|8/10
25. Battle Unit Zeoth|GB|1991|shmup|24m|6/10
26. Soul Calibur IV (Arcade Mode)|360|2008|fighter|12m|9/10
27. Mercenary Force|GB|1990|shmup|54m|5/10
28. Battle Arena Toshinden (Story Mode)|GB|1996|fighter|12m|8/10
29. Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams (Arcade Mode)|GBC|1999|fighter|10m|7/10
30. SD Hiryu No Ken EX (Story Mode)|GBC|1999|fighter|24m|7/10
31. Guilty Gear X: Advance Edition (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|8m|6/10
32. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Revival (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2001|fighter|10m|7/10
33. Dual Blades (Arcade Mode)|GBA|2002|fighter|23m|4/10

34. Gradius Galaxies|GBA|2001|shmup|1hr 24m|8/10

ImageImageImage

Gradius fans would do well to check out Gradius Galaxies. It's got classic shmup style gameplay, nice graphics, and a very decent OST. Gradius Galaxies is also fairly long, with plenty of stages and bosses to survive. The difficulty level is fairly low, until the final two stages, in which cheap deaths become the norm. There are some creative stage hazards implemented via the GBA's sprite scaling and rotation effects, making the action feel at home on the system. For handheld shmup aficionados, grab yourself a copy of Gradius Galaxies and destroy the core!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^ooh that looks good
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Oh I love when Gradius/Salamnder goes full on organic-sci-fi weirdness.

I still can't beat Gradius V. Have you conquered that one Exhuminator? I always get to the green blob level, the level/camera itself is moving around and as if that wasn't enough there's a bunch of weird ass green blob stuff everywhere. I've beaten III (SNES), IV, and Gaiden though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:I still can't beat Gradius V

I have not played it yet. I have a copy of it though, so I will try it someday. I have found a new appreciation for shmups lately, that I didn't have before, and I plan to give many more a shot. I've been messing with handheld ones lately because they are generally shorter and easier than console shmups. I'm not terribly great at these things. There were two parts in Gradius Galaxies that had me raging and damn near made me quit. When I finished the game I was on my last life. The concept of 1CC'ing something like that is way beyond my current skillset.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:

I have not played it yet. I have a copy of it though, so I will try it someday. I have found a new appreciation for shmups lately, that I didn't have before, and I plan to give many more a shot. I've been messing with handheld ones lately because they are generally shorter and easier than console shmups. I'm not terribly great at these things. There were two parts in Gradius Galaxies that had me raging and damn near made me quit. When I finished the game I was on my last life. The concept of 1CC'ing something like that is way beyond my current skillset.

Have you played the Thunder Force series? Thunder Force IV is my favorite shmup ever. II is weird because it has free roaming overhead stages that are awkward, then some of the sidescrolling levels. It's hard as balls and I can't beat that one. III is very doable though.

What I love about this series though, is that it's not a checkpoint set back like the Gradius and R-Type styled shmups. Dying makes you lose whatever power up you have selected, but you instantly respawn right back in the middle of the action. That said Thunder Force IV can get so intense, it's difficult in a different way. But I felt like a monster when I conquered this one and it was so satisfying. Musically it's the best soundtrack on the Genesis next to Shinobi III for me and graphically outstanding. Technosoft were incredible. Elemental Master is awesome as well.

I love Gradius and R-Type, but there's a lot of points where if you die just once and lose your power ups, you may as well quit entirely. :roll: :lol:

I'd like to think I'm good at shmups (not the bullet hell types though), so that said... good luck on Gradius V haha. R-Type Final is awesome though and I've finished that one.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Exhuminator wrote:

I'm also just jumping in to the genre. I'm pretty sure my experience is limited to like... Silver Surfer and that lone copy of Astro Warrior I used to play at my aunt's (the only person I knew who owned a Master System).

I exaggerate, of course, but really, I'm a total shmup noob, and right now I'm enjoying the Gradius Collection on PSP. The PSPGo is definitely not the way to play... well, anything except RPGs, really, but it's not so bad. Really looking forward to exploring the other classics of the genre... always liked the robot fish of Darius.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.