Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:33 pm

2.5D is a terrible design choice for a Streets of Rage-style beat 'em up. That will ONLY serve to confuse the player, and I have no idea why WayForward would think that was a good idea O.o
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 am

http://gameological.com/2012/10/smacks-and-the-city/

Here is a great article about how the Double Dragon series reflects our "culture’s changing relationship with the urban landscape." I think you will enjoy it, Elkin.

In its original form, Double Dragon is, if nothing else, a game in which Lynyrd Skynyrd fights to rescue America from The Ramones, The Village People, and Grandmaster Flash.

:lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:http://gameological.com/2012/10/smacks-and-the-city/

Here is a great article about how the Double Dragon series reflects our "culture’s changing relationship with the urban landscape." I think you will enjoy it, Elkin.

In its original form, Double Dragon is, if nothing else, a game in which Lynyrd Skynyrd fights to rescue America from The Ramones, The Village People, and Grandmaster Flash.

Oh wow, that was actually a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't though about it before, but now that I do, the urban-based games I enjoy most do tend to be those that are either mocking the idea of the dangerous city or recreating the danger.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:19 am

Xeogred wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Yoshi Story had 5000% more adorable singing Yoshis than Yoshi's Island. That's a massive point in its favor.

Sounds like they're rapping "Yo shit" in the caves level.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed really loudly at that. Spot-on. And I'm an absolute lover of Yoshi's Story.

In fact, my husband and I walked down the aisle together at our wedding to this OC Remix piano arrangement of the Yoshi's Story theme. It's an important game to us. :D

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:31 am

Double Dragon: Neon is one of my absolute favorite brawlers. It really comes into its own at the higher difficulty levels. It's really balanced for repeat plays.

Lining up attacks can be tough at first, but that's unrelated to whether the game is 2D or 3D. It's just how they coded it, and it's a little too tight for some folks. I find, though, that the decreased sensitivity in the vertical direction actually helps in some ways because enemies are less likely to pop you as well.

The whole game is zany, over-the-top, and insane. And I love how it looks like it's going to play it somewhat straight until you meet Skullmageddon. The build-up to that encounter is great, so ominous and foreboding... until he shatters it when he opens his mouth. Absolutely priceless.

Oh, and as far as games beaten...

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3
59) Mega Man 5
60) Mega Man
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi
70) Shinobi III
71) Shadow Dancer
72) El Viento
73) Earnest Evans
74) One Must Fall 2097
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke
77) Contra
78) Wario Land: Shake It!
79) Gimmick!
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:

85) Astra Superstars
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces
89) VVVVVV
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

So yeah, I've already finished Momodora 4. It's around a 6-7 hour jaunt, and it's a good one. I see comparisons to Dark Souls all over the place... but I'm not really seeing it here. It may share some superficial aspects, but it doesn't seem as tough as those games. Make no mistake, though, you're going to die at points. It's a very pattern-based game, and your main character drops health quite quickly. (There are multiple difficulty levels, however, so maybe Hard mode really is tough.)

Of course, to combat that, you've got life-restoring items that you can use. The nice thing is that when you hit a save point, these items completely restock. So they're actually a bit more like reserve energy tanks that you have to use.

Combat is absolutely wonderful stuff. The whole game just has a sort of smoothness about it. Everything just feels effortless, with combat having a sort of flow that most games wish they had. I'm sure part of that has to do with the animation and spritework, which is exemplary. You have two primary means of attack, your leaf which is a melee attack, and a bow and arrow, which can be charged. You also have a dodge roll which grants invulnerability during said roll. This is the secret to managing combat effectively, given your priestess' slight build. So I suppose this sort of dance might feel a little like Dark Souls. Regardless, it's a rather challenging game.

Sound in the game is surprisingly sparse. Almost all the pieces in the background are more ambient in nature than music. While it's not stuff you'd want to listen to at work, it certainly sets the mood. The entire game exudes an astoundingly melancholy vibe, and this even extends to the "good" ending. Yes, there's some Castlevania-style true-ending stuff going on here.

As far as abilities that give you more mobility, there are surprisingly few of them. The primary two additions are the ability to dodge in mid-air, which is an air-dash, and the ability to turn into a cat after your second encounter with a certain witch that... well, I'll just let the picture speak for itself.

From what I can gather, there are all sorts of little Easter eggs hidden around. A lot just takes the form of items that make the game a bit easier. Only one particular item is actually needed to see the credit roll.

Overall, I'm very, very happy with the purchase. There's no question I got my money's worth out of the game, and if you like non-linear action adventures, you'll probably like this one. Probably 8.5/10 territory for me. I'm actually tempted to dive back in and get all the rest of the collectibles, so that's a good sign.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:45 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:http://gameological.com/2012/10/smacks-and-the-city/

Oh wow, that was actually a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't though about it before, but now that I do, the urban-based games I enjoy most do tend to be those that are either mocking the idea of the dangerous city or recreating the danger.

I also had never read it before and enjoyed the article. Thanks very much for linking it! Though I like my perception of cities as dark and dingy. The more the world goes the way of cyberpunk, the happier I am.

Also I now want to see a beat 'em up where the design is reversed; a couple of black women have to go fight white guys in suits armed with briefcases and tablet computers while wandering through financial institutions and expensive apartment penthouses.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:08 pm

BOXBOY! (3DS)

I saw the love this game was gettin' the other day, and because it's on sale for 2.50 atm, (and I decided on $40 Nintendo cash instead of Overwatch), I thought I'd pick it up. It's not the most compelling or best action-puzzle game ever, but it's a fun way to spend an afternoon. It took me like 3-ish hours to get through it and get everything in the first 17 worlds, and now I'm working in the 5 you unlock in the post-game.

My only real complaint is how the last few costumes you unlock are the coolest, but they also give you bonus abilities (faster speed, higher jump, more blocks). Thus you have to choose between lookin' fly, and playing the game like it was designed :/

Verdict: It's a really well designed little action-puzzle game that I'd recommend to anyone looking to have a down-time game on their 3DS :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Ack wrote:Also I now want to see a beat 'em up where the design is reversed; a couple of black women have to go fight white guys in suits armed with briefcases and tablet computers while wandering through financial institutions and expensive apartment penthouses.

I would play the SHIT out of that game.

Now, for my most recently beaten game...

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 66

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (11 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17

66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17

I ordered this game on a whim after seeing a couple members here mention what a good (an, apparently, increasingly hard to find) game it is, and as usual with recommendations from RacketBoy members, I was not disappointed. At all. In fact, I was giggling like a lunatic for most of the game because of how damn AWESOME and fluid the gameplay is. Seriously, why has Platinum not announced a sequel yet?!?

Anyway, for those unfamiliar with the game (as I was not long ago), it's a third person cover based shooter developed by Platinum and published by Sega. That alone should tell you that it's going to be good, and it is. It plays a lot like how I would imagine it if it Mass Effect and Bayonetta had a baby. It is DRIPPING with style and caricatures the trope of the "gruff space marine" beautifully. It also gets one thing very, very right - enemies.

In my world, a game is automatically at least "okay" if its enemies fit into at LEAST one of the following categories - Russian, communists, Nazis, robots, or aliens. You spend the whole game fighting Russian robots (who may or may not be communists; they use symbolism alluding to both the Soviet Union and the czars, which are contradictory, so it's hard to tell). And most of the robots are painted red. It's just so damn good.

The game's gimmick is your ability to "boost" in your special super space marine suit. Basically you lie down and shoot shit as you rocket across the floor with foot mounted jet engines. Oh, and you can slow down time (SUPER helpful for getting rocket locks on bosses btw). I played on the default "Normal" difficulty, and it's too bad save for a couple of frustrating boss fights (I always hate bosses that have an instagib attack). People who (unlike me) are good at video games should probably play on Hard if you want any challenge, but even just tearing through enemies feels so damn good.

The plot is basically a block of cheese, but it's like well aged cheddar accompanied with a mustard dip; it's just so damn good. Or am I the only person who dips cheese in mustard as a snack? Anyway, go buy this game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 pm

You should check out videos of pro players playing it on insane and stuff. You will see maneuvers you probably didn't even consider were possible. :lol:

Games like this is why Gears of War is pretty lame in my book.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Xeogred wrote:Games like this is why Gears of War is pretty lame in my book.

Agreed. Vanquish ruined the cover shooting genre for me. Everything after has been a disappointment.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming