Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by noiseredux »

The DC game is on PC too.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

noiseredux wrote:The DC game is on PC too.

Huh, I didn't realize that. I just kind of assumed it wasn't on PC. I'll have to look into that then.

Thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)
3. XCOM 2 (PC)
4. Street Fighter V (PC)
5. Spelunky (PC)
6. Gone Home (PC)
7. Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PC)
8. Heroes Of The Storm (PC)
9. The Elder Scrolls Legends (PC)
10. Land's End (GearVR)
11. Hearthstone: League Of Explorers (PC)
12. Metal Slug (PC)
13. Broforce (PC)

beat Broforce w/ the Thursday Night Dudes. We started last week, finished this week and immediately started it over again on a harder difficulty. This game is fantastic. My description was "Metal Slug X Spelunky," but Fast's might be even more precise: That Broforce is what we wanted Mercenary Kings to be. Anyway, I'm sure Ack will give a much more thorough breakdown of the game here, and I'll end up writing one on my site later. But yeah, awesome game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

93. Bloody Roar Extreme|Xbox|2003|fighter|15m|7/10

This is a slightly enhanced port of the GameCube game, Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, which in turn was an enhanced port of the PlayStation 2 game, Bloody Roar 3. This version of the game features 1 more character than Primal Fury, CG endings for each character, some new moves, improved graphics, and hidden game modes. There are 10 multi-level, interactive destructible fighting arenas. Bloody Roar is a fighting series that has one central trick; the ability to turn into animals and fight. I mean, yes, you can just fight as a human, but with the touch of a button POOF now you're a vicious animal. Alternating between human/animal forms has various strategic advantages but ultimately just looks cool. Extreme doesn't do much different than its predecessors, aside from upping the graphical ante. Extreme runs at a consistently high framerate with nice character models and decent music. Controls are simple and responsive, with a low learning curve. Bloody Roar has always been a b-tier fighting series, and Extreme doesn't do anything to change that fact. But if you're a furry you should enjoy this one.

---

94. The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact: Maniax|Xbox|2005|fighter|15m|8/10

There was a time in the life of the King of Fighters series, where SNK Playmore dabbled in 3D. As in, the characters and backgrounds were all three dimensional textured polygons, rather than hand drawn 2D. Other fighting game series had tried going this route with various degrees of success, but thankfully SNK Playmore's approach was well conceived. The developers focused on the two things that mattered most; high framerate and quickly responsive controls. This keeps matches fluid and dynamic, giving the same feel of a traditional 2D fight. Beyond the solid fundamentals, Maximum Impact: Maniax does actually have attractive graphics and audio, on par with other 3D fighters of its time. One unique and cool feature SNK's 3D fighters of this era had that others didn't, was the ability to pause the game and rotate the camera to view the frozen fight scene, and then take a picture to the hard drive. I love this feature, and outside of the Smash Bros. series, I've only seen it in SNK's 3D fighters of this time. Anyway, if you're a fan of King of Fighters, and you don't mind polygons, you should find Maximum Impact: Maniax to be a worthy use of your vicarious fists.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
2. DOAX3 Fortune Edition (PS4)
3. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
4. DOOM (2016) (PC)
5. Halo 5 (Xbox One)
6. Dark Souls (PC)
7. Call of Duty (PC)
8. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC)
9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
10. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
11. Bloodborne (PS4)
12. SOMA (PC)

Personally, I'm not too big of a horror fan, so I haven't played previous games by Frictional Games. Seems like they've pretty much done first-person survival horror/adventure games, which SOMA would fall under as well. I picked it up despite the that, since the narrative has been held in high regard.

Overall, the story lives up to the reputation. While it doesn't exactly have any major twists you wouldn't see coming, saying too much would be a disservice. Suffice to say, it's very well done, and worth playing the game for. If playing on PC, there is a mod out there that'll make the monsters passive. So, they might still be creepy, but probably not as much as if they were also charging at you and screaming. I...did not play with that mod, and thus kept the lights on.
You can't fight back, and can (usually) only withstand a few attacks before dying (I think only a couple earlier in the game). If you're injured, there's significant visual distortion, though most of the time you can simply take the hit or two and continue on. There were a couple places (at least) where it didn't seem like I'd actually die though. More or less, the stealth/survival aspects are there more to build tension and for some, a sort of puzzle. I didn't feel like they impeded exploration too much, as areas with other puzzles or additional story to uncover typically were fairly safe.

One thing I was mildly disappointed with, on finishing the game, is searching around to find that none of the choices made in the game actually matter. Other than how you feel about them, I suppose. It does work in context of the story, and avoids having a "good" or "bad" ending, but being able to offer choices and consequences is a strength of the video game medium.

Still, it's a minor thing, and I'd recommend SOMA to anyone who likes story-oriented games, or psychological horror in general.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

List:
1. Portal DS - DS
2. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective - PC
3. Metal Slug - Coop - MVS
4. Mario and Luigi RPG 3 - Inside Bowser Story - DS
5. Payday 2 - PC
6. Akalabeath - PC
7. Kings Quest 2 – PC
8. Kings Quest 3 – PC
9. Kings Quest 4 – PC
10. Kings Quest 5 – PC
11. Kings Quest 6 – PC
12. Battle Block Theater – Coop – PC
13. Lode Runner – Apple ][ Plus
14. Space Eggs – Apple ][ Plus
15. SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium - NGPC
16. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - PC
17. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 5 - 8bit is enough
18. Rocket League - PC
19. Wits - Famicom
20. Vs Excitebike - Famicom Disc System
21. Moero! TwinBee: Cinnamon-hakase wo Sukue! - Famicom Disc System
22. Ultima 1 - PC
23. Witcher 1 - PC
24. Spider Solitare - PC

New
25. Metal Slug X - PC
26. Metal Slug 3 - PC
27. Virtua Tennis 2009 - PC
28. Broforce - PC

Metal Slug X and 3 were for TR. I still think 3 is just a quarter muncher, but that was the first time I beat it solo in a very long time.

Virtua Tennis 2009 is the 5th of the Power Smash games, with only VT4 and the Android/iOS versions after. VT2k9 is the last one to my knowledge playable with only two buttons. Like all VTs, you can complete the base game in about an hour. But that is only a part of the game. The world tour mode is insane. You can create a character then travel around the world playing matches. It is a very well made addition to the tried and true VT formula. Sadly the PC version is local multiplayer only.

Broforce is one part Contra, one part Spelunky, and 40 parts movie characters from the 70s-2000s. You get a random bro, based on a action film character, then try to get to the end of the map while killing enemies and saving other bros. In singleplayer it is a slow paced methodical affair, but in 4 player coop, it is madness. This was beaten with Ack and Noise, our buddy Xen had to drop out of some maps do to weird lag, so they will have more eloquent writeups in the near future. But I must say that partway through our game (there are 62 levels), it became like when we last played Monaco. Coop to a point, then every man for themselves.

To elaborate on this, the end of each stage you leave by helicopter with explosions. As long as one person gets out, thats all that matters. So the matches became teamwork to get to the end, then blow up all the ground around the exit so only one person escapes. I excelled at this as Cherry Broling - based on Cherry Darling from Planet Terror, or as we started to call her - Machine Gun Leg. MGL shoots downward by default, which is not useful in many places. But on one map, Noise decided to destroy all the blocks to the exit zone. We could not make it to the point, so I ended up dying and came back as MGL. So I used a combo of her jump, primary fire, and rocket shot, to get over the gap to the exit. I stood in the right spot to get the helicopter to show up, while Ack and Noise were below me. When the copter showed up, I shot out the ground to get on the helicopter, leaving them to die in explosions.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

see? I think that's one of the best things about Broforce's co-op: it lends itself to all these awesome "hey remember that time when..." stories? There were a bunch of those. I doubt I've ever laughed so much at any other game we've played together.

I also wish I could have stayed alive as Predator much longer than I was able to.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
2. Puzzle Link (NGPC)(Puzzle)
3. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)(RPG)
4. Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War (PC)(Strategy)
5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC)(RPG)
6. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC)(RPG)
7. Drakkhen (SNES)(RPG)
8. Flight of the Amazon Queen (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)

9. Shadowgrounds: Survivor (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
10. Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)(RPG)
11. BioShock (PC)(FPS)
12. Jeopardy! Sports Edition (SNES)(Game Show Sim)
13. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (PC)(FPS)
14. Thief Gold (PC)(Stealth)
15. Call of Duty 2 (PC)(FPS)

16. Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (PC)(RPG)
17. Alone in the Dark (PC)(Survival Horror)
18. Silent Hill (PS1)(Survival Horror)
19. Sanitarium (PC)(Point-and-Click Adventure/Horror)
20. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition(PC)(Hack and Slash)

21. Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
22. Ultima II (PC)(RPG)
23. System Shock (PC)(Action RPG)
24. DOOM (PC)(FPS)
25. Soul Blazer (SNES)(RPG)
26. Slave Zero (PC)(Action)
27. Broforce (PC)(Run and Gun)

Broforce is the kind of game that will make you proud to be an American. Just take a moment to bask in the glory of this logo:

Do you feel that? That's patriotism, son. The kind of patriotism that makes me want to bone Lady Liberty while eating a hamburger and saluting the flag as screaming eagles fly F-16s overhead with their missiles blazing during a fireworks ceremony in which our national anthem is played over and over again by Pershing's Own United States Army Band. God bless America. And God bless you, Broforce, for understanding that America really is all about overly muscular men and women with big guns in more ways than one blowing shit up and killing the devil...FOR FREEDOM!

Excuse me, I sort of lost myself there. Anyway, Broforce is a run and gun that really is about blowing shit up and killing the devil. You rescue POWs a la Metal Slug to unlock more bros to play as, you fight ridiculously big bosses, you enjoy damaging the terrain of fully destructible levels, you avoid traps and explosives, you die horribly, and you come back and do it all again, over and over if need be, always coming back as randomized bros from the expanding group you've unlocked. I don't mean from a couple or a handful of characters either, as Broforce has continued to add in more and more characters to expand the roster over time. While I'm partial to B.A. Broracus, it's hard not to love the likes of Broniversal Soldier, Colonel James Broddock, The Brofessional, Bronan the Barbarian, Indiana Brones, Brobo Cop, and many, many more, all based on stars of the same action films that I've been consuming for years. In fact, of the 35 characters(not including the 7 more folks in the Expendabros expansion in honor of Expendables 3), I've seen the movies or TV shows that all of these characters are based on with the sole exception of 3...and I'm aware of their properties and just haven't gotten to them yet. In short, Broforce is an American action movie fan's wet dream come true.

How does it play? Well, every bro uses a similar control scheme for shooting and specials, but each of them plays different from the others, and some are exceptionally unique. Fastbilly already mentioned the bro based on Cherry Darling who can fly, but others include one based on the Boondock Saints that can respawn a lost brother, while the bro based on the T-800 from the Terminator franchise can go full metal making him nigh indestructible and can propel himself in different directions by firing off his minigun. Learning how to face each situation with the different bros adds significant amounts of replay value because each one may be better suited to tackling any given task in a completely different way. Heck, you're likely not to even unlock all of the bros in a single playthrough, but you probably won't care. Levels are easily replayable, and many are so short you may clear them in under a minute. Keep in mind though that most are laden with explosives and the like, so in some of the more chaotic moments, you're probably going to get killed, and there are many, many chaotic moments.

How is it in multiplayer? Well, I'm not gonna lie, we did have a lot of networking issues. There are also problems with the game announcing characters or bosses in splash screens and then continuing on for some players while the screen continues, meaning you're likely to come in and discover you've already been killed. Spectating also feels like an afterthought, since clearing said splash screens will immediately result in you spawning in, meaning you can't really spectate boss fights. It's a problematic marring on an otherwise ridiculously enjoyable experience.

Beyond that though, Broforce is a ridiculously good time. I recommend it to any fans of Contra, Metal Slug, or frantic arcade-style run and guns of any stripe. The additional media references definitely increase my enjoyment, but the game would still be fun even if it weren't referencing my childhood with every playable character. I suggest tracking down a copy. You'll have fun. You'll scream, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll have a blast, and you'll look good doing it all for America.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You guys need to play Gunslugs and Gunslugs II. I have them on my 3DS, but apparently they are also available on this "steam" service you apparently enjoy so much...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hey Ack, did you watch The Guest yet? It's on Netflix and it's... I really think you're going to love it. A lot.