Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)

I beat Bayonetta 2 today as well.

I played Bayonetta 1 back when it was new and it didn't hook me in much, namely because the story was so silly and the pacing was bad... it's stylized like DMC (naturally being the successor basically) with you being rated after enemy encounters, but in Bayonetta that also tends to signal that a cutscene is coming next. So... the flow of the game wasn't very good to me. After ~5-10 minute gameplay portions, the control kept being taken away for cutscenes and shenanigans. That pulls me out of a game (took me weeks to finish Uncharted 2 for example).

2 dropped and everyone seemed to love it and say it was an improvement. Saw a lot of both games at a friends, so I was interested enough and luckily tracked down the U release that has both games earlier this year.

Long story short, after ranting about it in the unpopular gaming opinions thread for a bit... I can happily say that Bayonetta 2 worked for me and grew on me. The characters and story stuck out more and although I don't need every single level to be final boss tier insanity (kind of takes the wind out of you for marathons?), I kind of just paced myself and did a level a night off and on, or played more during this weekend and last when I was in the mood.

I enjoyed it enough that I plan to go through 1 again to see what I think.

A funny way to put Bayonnetta 2 is that it's Asura's Wrath with a good combat system in between the ridiculous story/cutscenes. That said, like I said in the other thread about these two, I still like Asura's Wrath story/characters etc way more than this. But Bayonneta still has a lot of charm to it. I kind of like the style of Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising more for Platinum Games comparisons, but Bayonneta 2 might be the best between these.

My friend once said Bayonetta was his kind of girl. I don't think she's my type, so maybe that's why these games don't resonate with me like they do with others. But I can't pinpoint my finger on it. I'm all for the badass confident female lead, but maybe it's the over the top humor that ruins it for me? My go to badass girl would be Ada Wong. Yes please. Just a funny nitpick haha... that said I still think as a character Bayonetta is pretty awesome.

I'd put this a little above Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 which I beat just two weeks ago or something. There were things I liked about that more than this, but I can already tell Bayonetta will leave a better impression in the long run. That said, Bayonneta 2 still doesn't come close to Ninja Gaiden Xbox or Devil May Cry 1/3 to me. I wish this genre wasn't dead. I wonder if Team Ninja's Nioh will be an interesting merger of these hack n' slash action games with some Dark Souls elements.

I don't love it like some people do, but it's still pretty damn great and it's a shame this series didn't seem to sell much for Platinum. Another one would probably be pretty awesome. Guess there's always a chance.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Exhuminator wrote:The original Mafia on PC was one of the hardest games I've ever beaten

Yup, but it was still a good time through it. Then there's Freeride Extreme. :evil:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Really nice indepth review of Mafia II, was a fine read.

The original Mafia on PC was one of the hardest games I've ever beaten. Give it a try sometime if you're bored:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(video_game)

The local resale store does have it on PS2 for like 9 dollars. If I can play it with a mouse, I'd really rather do that. It doesn't seem like can actually buy Mafia 1 digitally though, so PS2 might be mah only option.

I am currently playing it on the original XBOX and I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

I'm a big fan of the GTA games and I absolutely LOVE games in Historical settings, so I was pretty excited to play it.

So far, I've been enjoying it tremendously. The atmosphere is amazing. I love all the cars and the look of the game. It doesn't have the polish or depth of the GTA games as it is mostly just missions and the controls can be a bit awkward. But, it has been a great fun and very enjoyable. I recommend it especially if you liked the second one.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Bayo 2 was definitely good stuff, and an improvement over the first game. My primary gripe about Platinum's oeuvre is that it's often explore a bit, get into an arena-style battle, repeat. With all sorts of over-the-top silliness.

Also, yes, don't play them for story. I'm not even sure it's the "so bad it's good" category. It's what they're aiming for, though.

Regarding Bayonetta being your friend's kind of girl: he is insane. :P (I suspect why she rubs you the wrong way is that it's more than just a confident female lead, it's a cocky, patronizing, and domineering female lead.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:The local resale store does have it on PS2 for like 9 dollars. If I can play it with a mouse, I'd really rather do that. It doesn't seem like can actually buy Mafia 1 digitally though, so PS2 might be mah only option.

If you're going to play the original Mafia, I strongly recommend doing so via PC. The game was a graphical powerhouse for its time, and while console versions may technically run the game, only a PC can provide the oomph needed to really bring its world to life in full splendor.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:The local resale store does have it on PS2 for like 9 dollars. If I can play it with a mouse, I'd really rather do that. It doesn't seem like can actually buy Mafia 1 digitally though, so PS2 might be mah only option.

If you're going to play the original Mafia, I strongly recommend doing so via PC. The game was a graphical powerhouse for its time, and while console versions may technically run the game, only a PC can provide the oomph needed to really bring its world to life in full splendor.

Yeah, just good luck with those driving controls.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 25
1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)
15. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
16. Grim Fandango Remastered (iOS)
17. Dust: An Elysian Tale (360)
18. Shantae (GBC)
19. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
20. 3D After Burner II (3DS)
21. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (3DS)
22. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
23. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (WII U)
24. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
25. Furdemption (iOS)

26. Virtua Fighter Remix (SATURN)
27. Manos The Hands of Fate (iOS)
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (PS3)
29. Fighting Vipers (PS3)
30. Ikari Warriors (PS3)
31. Virtua Cop (SATURN)
32. Virtua Cop 2 (SATURN)
33. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (iOS)
34. Virtua Racing (PS2)
35. Daytona USA (DC)
36. Sega Rally Championship (SATURN)
37. RayForce (iOS)
38. Hundreds (iOS)

RayForce is an incredibly solid shmup, and it is the ultimate evolution of the Xevious formula. I really enjoyed it, and I recommend it to fans of the genre. I also wrote more about it in the summer challenge thread.

Hundreds is miscellaneous game where you grow circles to by touching them. It is well-designed and perfectly suited for its platform. The last few puzzles are uninspired and unreasonably difficult, however, and they soured me on the experience. The game also contains various messages that must be decrypted, and other than the first few, it is basically impossible to decrypt them without a guide. I recommend the game, but anyone who attempts to get through all of it should brace for unnecessary frustration.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

1: Rakugaki Ninja (Mac)
2: Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story) (Mac)
3: Dimahoo (ARC)
4: Rez (DC)
5: L.O.L.: Lack of Love (DC)
6: Rockman 7: Shukumei no Taiketsu! (SFC)
7: Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san (SFC)
8: Super Metroid (SFC)
9: Dragon Force (Saturn)
10: Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
11: Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck (GEN)
12: Mario Story (Paper Mario) (N64)
13: Rockman & Forte (SFC)
14: Sparkster (GEN)
15: Lumino City (Steam)
16: Braid (Mac)
17: Kirby: Air Ride (GCN)
18: Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (GCN)
19: Starfox Assault (GCN)
20: Terra Phantastica (Saturn)
21: Pikmin (GCN)
22: Doubutsu Banchou (Cubivore) (GCN)
23: Eternal Darkness: Manekareta 13-nin (GCN)
24: Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu (MD)
25: Densetsu no Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (Saturn)
26: Cibele (Mac)
27: Linda Cube - Kanzenban (Saturn)
28: Sonic the Hedgehog (MD-JP)
29: Pulseman (MD)
30: Surging Aura (MD)

I decided to play through Sonic 1, perhaps in anticipation of the 25th anniversary. (I think it was the 20th anniversary that I played through all of the numbered Genesis titles, back to back.) The Japanese version has some nice parallax scrolling in some more of the backgrounds, which is pretty cool. This feels like one of the most uneven Genesis platformers, to me. I don't hate Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, or Scrap Brain Zone, but they aren't Green Hill, Spring Yard or Starlight. That's half of the game, that kind of gets in the way, and much more so than some of the weaker zones from other Sonic games (Metropolis, Marble Garden, etc) I feel. Anyway, it's a quick jaunt through the game, and I can get plenty of continue, but still suck at getting the chaos emeralds in this one. (Worse than usual this time, though.)

---

Pulseman is one of the flashiest games I can think of, literally. I'm not prone to seizures, but Pulseman makes me worry about it regardless. (Game Freaks did make Porygon/Polygon, after all.) I bought this one a number of years ago, and whenever I've played it in the past, I would make it to the first section of the last stage, in pretty good shape, then just lose all lives and continues in that one section. This time, I did the same thing, but decided to just use the level select code. Once I finally got past that sticking point, there wasn't really much standing in my way. Aside from that, there's also, possibly, the worst underwater section in any platforming game ever, in the Australia stage. The level design is, otherwise, pretty good, and I love the showdown with Pulseman's rival. The game looks astonishingly good, and has some pretty good audio to back up the visuals. That said, the controls are a bit weak. There's a little bit too much momentum to directional inputs while in the air, and the developers used a walk/run mechanic where running kicks in after a certain amount of time spent continuously walking. That last one, in particular, means that most of the game is spent intermittently releasing the directional button to make sure Pulseman doesn't start running, and uncontrollably launch himself into some hazard or pit. With some adjustment, the controls can be managed pretty well, and the move-set is pretty interesting and fun.

---

Surging Aura is a very linear RPG with some brilliant use of color. I think people usually consider the Genesis to have a pretty limited color pallet, but this game is just blasting the player's eyeballs with all kinds of pastels, and warping, drug induced, tiedye color effects. In the intro, the game appears to rotate two wireframe cubes around the main character's sprite, and in battle it kind of looks like the game scales enemy sprites as they transition from the back row to the front row. This is a pretty late-era game, released in 1995, and GameFaqs seems to think it was developed by Nippon Media Programming--a company with a pretty checkered development history--but I haven't found anything to support that. I don't recognize any of the pen-names used in the credits, but I do know that the character design was done by Inomata Mutsumi, who I guess also did a lot of artwork for the Tales series. Apparently Inomata was responsible for all the monster designs in Surging Aura, as well, and everything she lent to the game looks really good.

In terms of gameplay, it's a pretty straight forward game that resembles Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star, in many ways, in tone and style. The story is about an evil magician, Lufeed who was thwarted 20 years earlier in his attempt to unleash the power of a dark tomb to recreate the world in accordance with his ideals. He reappears on the 20th anniversary of the foundation of the main character's (Prince Mu's) kingdom, and steals one of the magic tombs being guarded by the magician who had defeated him twenty years earlier. Mu ostensibly dies in the process, but is thrust back in time to try to stop Lufeed once and for all. The player ends up meeting a number of characters in the process, but can only have a party of up to three characters. Mu is the only spellcaster in the game, and the other characters are more meat shields, and 'zerkers. The battles are active time, and there's no way to stop or pause it. The main trouble is in the interface. Instead of some kind of menu that pops up, there are three ovals that represent each character's action. Actions can be input for each character at any time, and the timer just illustrates when that action will occur (aside from the 'defend,' 'cover,' or 'use item' commands, which have no timer). The types of actions can be scrolled through in the oval, but it's much less intuitive than looking at a list of actions, and choosing one. Magic is handled in a very similar way, and it can be pretty cumbersome when time is of the essence.

There are six elements for magic, and there's a total of 36 spells (six for each element). There's some overlap in spell effects, and the efficacy isn't always too clear. Also, there are descriptions for the spell effects in the main menu, but not in battle. So, remembering what certain spells do in the heat of battle can be a little challenging at times. I typically stuck to a handful of buffs/debuffs and attack spells, and didn't worry too much about healing spells most of the time, because using items is much faster. Also, there is one spell for each element that will cancel the effect of any spells of the element cast on the party. The game tells the player to use one of these spells in the first dungeon, in order to not be pelted with stones by a worm enemy, but it is terrible advice, because some of the spellcasting mobs (especially early in the game) hit like Mack trucks. They become pretty mandatory in the later part of the game, though.

Surging Aura also has some fairly uneven difficulty, with most of the game being pretty easy, but the beginning, and the very end of the game, in particular, being quite difficult. The boss rush at the end of the game is ten times more difficult than any other section. Fortunately, they can all be debuffed, and if they couldn't be, I might not have beaten the game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Thanks for that Surging Aura review, shame it's so unbalanced. I'm still considering playing through the French version of it. I know enough French to muddle my way through.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC
38. Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES
39. Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra - PC
40. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC
41. Sonic 2 - Genesis
42. Resident Evil Revelations - PC
43. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PC

The second "let's make something the old fans will enjoy" entry in the modern Resident Evil series. RER2 continues with the focus on more of the horror, light puzzle solving, and less combat of its predecessor. It does bring some interesting new things to the table, though, which ended up being implemented pretty well.

The game is divided into four proper episodes, with each episode divided in two. The first half follows Claire Redfield and Moira Burton as they try to handle being kidnapped and shanghaied on a mysterious island with a touch of monsters. The second half follows Barry Burton as he tries to save his daughter from said island with monsters. Though the game is sold episodically they are DLC rather than standalone, and the game forces you to go from one to the next with no skipping. So I'm counting this as a single game.

Like RER you always have an AI partner. Unlike RER the partners are very asymmetrical; only the main character can use guns, for example. The partners serve as assists, doing things like spotting hidden items, blinding enemies to stun them, or detecting invisible and off-screen enemies. You also frequently have to split up akin to RE5 to solve puzzles. The biggest difference in all of this, though, is that you can swap control between the two at any time. This massively alleviates the frustration that could otherwise occur during this. The whole mechanic ends up being fun and well implemented; it would have been really easy to cock this one up.

The game brings back the weapon customization from RER, though the number of mods seems to have been massively reduced in the campaign. So it's more of a "might as well" rather than a main feature like it was in RER. The rest of the customization comes from a skill system. You gain currency by finding jewels and accomplishing certain tasks and can then spend that currency on a skill tree. None of the mods are super exciting, but putting various points in the knife skills makes a huge difference by the end and really helps with ammo management.

The game also tones down the combat a bit, at least until the very end. And that very end segment is mostly ok. The penultimate fight can be bastardly depending on how the AI feels like attacking (dat one hit kill move). The final fight ended up being easier than I was expecting, which was good due to how low my supplies were due to the penultimate fight. I actually spent some time stabbing the boss because I was out (and the boss wasn't being nice about knocking open the item caches). I'm still not sure if I did the boss "right" or not. But I suppose that's better than getting reamed because my ammo was low and I wasn't doing the exact sequence of steps to do appreciable damage.

I have a feeling I should have tossed RE6 in between these two and I'm going to end my time with the series on a low note.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.