7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)
15. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
16. Grim Fandango Remastered (iOS)
17. Dust: An Elysian Tale (360)
18. Shantae (GBC)
19. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
20. 3D After Burner II (3DS)
21. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (3DS)
22. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
23. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (WII U)
24. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
25. Furdemption (iOS)

26. Virtua Fighter Remix (SATURN)
27. Manos The Hands of Fate (iOS)
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (PS3)
29. Fighting Vipers (PS3)
30. Ikari Warriors (PS3)
31. Virtua Cop (SATURN)
32. Virtua Cop 2 (SATURN)
33. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (iOS)
34. Virtua Racing (PS2)
35. Daytona USA (DC)
36. Sega Rally Championship (SATURN)
37. RayForce (iOS)
38. Hundreds (iOS)
39. Don't Look Back (iOS)
40. Finding Teddy (iOS)
41. Shantae & The Pirate's Curse (WII U)
42. Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
43. Guardian Heroes (360)

Guardian Heroes is great. It may even be the best beat-'em-up. I love it, and I wrote more about it in the summer games challenge thread.

Exhuminator wrote:I totally loved the original Prince of Persia, and I suppose it was the progenitor of the cinematic platformer genre. I've beaten the MS-DOS version and the SNES version. I strongly recommend the SNES version. Arsys redid the graphics very nicely, created many new (and quality) levels, wrote a fantastic musical score, it's just an amazing remake. We're talking 9/10 material easily.

Thanks! I've always wondered which version I should play, but you made the decision easy.
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Sarge wrote:I also need to play through Prince of Persia one of these days.

You and me both. I will probably put it on my summer games challenge list next year. (Once I beat that and Oddworld:Abe's Oddysee, I will probably be done with the genre. I just don't like it as much as the rest of you.)

You should play Sands of Time or the Prince of Persia from 2007 or whatever year it was that was just called Prince of Persia. Probably more your style. The original is a great game though and certainly a roadmap of how to do those games right.

RE: Guardian Heroes, I really need to sit down with that one some time. I tried to play that in a group setting thinking that it was a co-op through the single player, but instead the multiplayer was more of a Smash Bros. type of melee combat thingy.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Stark wrote:You should play Sands of Time or the Prince of Persia from 2007 or whatever year it was that was just called Prince of Persia. Probably more your style. The original is a great game though and certainly a roadmap of how to do those games right.

RE: Guardian Heroes, I really need to sit down with that one some time. I tried to play that in a group setting thinking that it was a co-op through the single player, but instead the multiplayer was more of a Smash Bros. type of melee combat thingy.

I loved Sands of Time. I purchased it the day of its release, and I played through it in a few marathon sessions. It is such a great game.

Also, give Guardian Heroes another shot. You should be able to play the story mode with other people, but it is great solo. Also, the absolutely amazing Xbox 360 version is only $5.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also, give Guardian Heroes another shot. You should be able to play the story mode with other people, but it is great solo. Also, the absolutely amazing Xbox 360 version is only $5.

Yeah I think the co-op mode is 2-player, I had like 6 people. I will definitely try it again though, love playing on the Saturn.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yep, Sands of Time is wonderful. I played it almost yearly for a while there.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I still have a shrink wrapped copy of the Sands of Time haha. Need to get to that.

The cel shaded one was kind of okay I think? I beat that one. I remember the four main abilities you get were super gimmicky and basically the same thing though. Something about colored orbs that you use to get around puzzles or crap.

I remember the ending being an absolute BS cop out though. Kind of soured the whole thing. I think it was one of those "get the DLC for the real ending" shenanigans.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The real kicker is that the DLC doesn't really answer it, either.

I enjoyed both, but PoP 2008 is a very different experience in a lot of ways. Sands is definitely better. Warrior Within went too edgy, and I didn't like the combat very much, and Two Thrones returned it mostly to glory. Then there's Forgotten Sands, which apes Sands a little too closely on modern consoles, and then the Wii version, which is an entirely different (and awesome!) game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've beaten Sands of Time (back in 2004 whenever it released) and I agree it was a great game. Warrior Within lost me with its grimdark try-hard stuff, and the stupid chase scenes. Never played Two Thrones. I've got the PS3 HD version of this trilogy though, in hopes of going back and finishing them.

Fun fact, the only good version of Shadow and the Flame is on mobile:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ggp&hl=en

Nothing's ever gonna beat the SNES version of PoP for me though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Fun fact, the only good version of Shadow and the Flame is on mobile:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ggp&hl=en

Nothing's ever gonna beat the SNES version of PoP for me though.

Really? How does the mobile version compare to the SNES version?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Really? How does the mobile version compare to the SNES version?

Well sir, the SNES version was developed by Titus Software. That probably explains enough without further elaboration. :lol:

The mobile version has a few enhancements, as explained in the press release here:

https://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/pri ... s-july-25/

The original DOS version had terrible controls and laggy input, wasn't very good. All other ports were even worse. It wasn't until the mobile version released that the game was actually playable enough for my standards.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.