Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Sarge »

Another true story: I actually don't like the Ghouls & Ghosts games a lot. It's a little too stressful... and this coming from a guy that eats Contra and Castlevania for breakfast. :) They're still solid, quality pieces of software, just not for me.

I'm sure someday I will finish it; I suspect it's the "beat this twice to get the real ending" that keeps me away. I've very nearly finished Ghouls & Ghosts on Genesis, but I tapped out on continues in the last stage.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I won't lie, Super is the only one I can confidently finish with ease. It's one of my all time favorites going 20 some years strong. In ways I might like it more than Castlevania 4 since it's less bloated, but there's some nostalgia too. For whatever reason I always compare the two thesedays. But yeah, I guess it's weird I'm huge on Super but I've never really thought much of the others. The double jump is a game changer with the gameplay haha, and the SNES aesthetics are just way too good.

I want to think if you play on the hardest difficulties you can get the special sub weapon that's required for the true final boss on a single run, but I'm not sure.

It's definitely a deliberate game though haha, one hit and you're more than likely screwed for the level. I'm not sure what my reaction would be going into it new thesedays if I never played it growing up.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

List:
1. Portal DS - DS
2. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective - PC
3. Metal Slug - Coop - MVS
4. Mario and Luigi RPG 3 - Inside Bowser Story - DS
5. Payday 2 - PC
6. Akalabeath - PC
7. Kings Quest 2 – PC
8. Kings Quest 3 – PC
9. Kings Quest 4 – PC
10. Kings Quest 5 – PC
11. Kings Quest 6 – PC
12. Battle Block Theater – Coop – PC
13. Lode Runner – Apple ][ Plus
14. Space Eggs – Apple ][ Plus
15. SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium - NGPC
16. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - PC
17. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 5 - 8bit is enough
18. Rocket League - PC
19. Wits - Famicom
20. Vs Excitebike - Famicom Disc System
21. Moero! TwinBee: Cinnamon-hakase wo Sukue! - Famicom Disc System
22. Ultima 1 - PC

New
23. Witcher 1 - PC
24. Spider Solitare - PC

Witcher 1 - Only took five years. The game is soso. A mid 2000s PC RPG and it shows. Gameplay is wild, graphics do weird things sometimes (like npcs walking by the camera and seeing through their head and seeing eyes and teeth floating in the air), and overuse of the same voice actor and character models. Now what it is, is amazing world building and amazing voice acting. Why did it take me so long, well the combat was very difficult for me to grasp. It is like a QTE but with enemies that do not flinch or show they have been hit. Eventually I found a speedrunners guide and just bumrushed the last two chapters.

Spider Solitare - Since its inclusion in Windows XP, I have been trying to win a game of four suit Spider Solitare legitly. For the last six months I had been playing atleast three games of 2 or 4 suit a day. Saturday night I got close, I was primed to win but the last deal gave me an unwinnable situation. So Sunday morning I got up early and was playing as the coffee brewed. About six games in it hit. It was around 0630 and I went in to wake my wife, who was really confused. I have now beaten all three versions of Spider Solitare, and completed a life goal. If you are not aware, only 25% of four deck Spider Solitare games are winnable. So playing without using undo and a very high chance of failure, well it is an achievement to me.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've seen a lot of people complain about having trouble with the combat in The Witcher 1. The trick is that the cursor tells you exactly when to click each time. Looking at your targets is just a distraction.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

It was more that I could be in a combo, and the enemy would attack me back since they did not have a flinching animation. It happened more against Mutants than anything else. They just stood there as the combo went on then knock me back and wail on me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:Witcher 1 - Only took five years. The game is soso. A mid 2000s PC RPG and it shows. Gameplay is wild, graphics do weird things sometimes (like npcs walking by the camera and seeing through their head and seeing eyes and teeth floating in the air), and overuse of the same voice actor and character models. Now what it is, is amazing world building and amazing voice acting. Why did it take me so long, well the combat was very difficult for me to grasp. It is like a QTE but with enemies that do not flinch or show they have been hit. Eventually I found a speedrunners guide and just bumrushed the last two chapters.

gonna jump to 3 next?

Spider Solitare - Since its inclusion in Windows XP, I have been trying to win a game of four suit Spider Solitare legitly. For the last six months I had been playing atleast three games of 2 or 4 suit a day. Saturday night I got close, I was primed to win but the last deal gave me an unwinnable situation. So Sunday morning I got up early and was playing as the coffee brewed. About six games in it hit. It was around 0630 and I went in to wake my wife, who was really confused. I have now beaten all three versions of Spider Solitare, and completed a life goal. If you are not aware, only 25% of four deck Spider Solitare games are winnable. So playing without using undo and a very high chance of failure, well it is an achievement to me.

This is awesome - congrats!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Witcher 2 will be this winters big game. Three will be next year or so.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

fastbilly1 wrote:Witcher 2 will be this winters big game. Three will be next year or so.

There's a "definitive edition" of Witcher 3 with all of the DLC coming out at the end of the month. I've got that pre-ordered (though I haven't played 1 or 2 yet, lol).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Witcher 2 will be this winters big game. Three will be next year or so.

There's a "definitive edition" of Witcher 3 with all of the DLC coming out at the end of the month. I've got that pre-ordered (though I haven't played 1 or 2 yet, lol).

Noted. I wonder if the price on GOG will drop.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)
10. Thousand Arms (PS1)
11. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
12. Mega Man 5 (NES)
13. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
14. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (XBOX)
15. Mega Man 6 (NES)
16. Metal Saga (PS2)
17. Mafia (XBOX)
18. Parasite Eve (PS1)
19. Shining Force (GEN)
20. San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing (N64)
21. Bushido Blade 2 (PS1)

22. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2)

I beat Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on the Playstation 2 this afternoon!

I have always been a huge fan of the original Street Fighter series ever since the second one first came out. However, I never really delved deeply into the Alpha series for one reason or another. A friend of mine bought this game for me for my Birthday and I was finally able to play the series.

I really enjoy how the game play is much smoother. The combos are easier to pull off and the fighting action doesn't seem as deliberate and difficult. I also like the variety of characters and Capcom cameos that are seen all throughout the games. They all add something unique and different to the game along with offering varying strategies on how to defeat them.

I just wished that Capcom did a little more to the collection than make straight ports. There are so many unlockable characters that it would be nice if you could select them instead of memorizing button presses. Also, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Bison is completely stupid. If you loose to him, you get the bad ending and have to start all over again. That is asinine for a fighting game.

Overall, the game is well worth your money as you will get a big kick out of the games. It is much better to play against a friend, but a good treat if you enjoy fighting games especially the Street Fighter series.