Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Ack »

Homecoming is bad, but the little brother actually looked like one of my little brothers when the game came out, so it always resonated with me. I played that game way more than I should have. Unfortunately it also resulted in my departure from the series, as I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games that followed.

Origins is great, save that your character has really, really, really deep pockets. Seriously, if it's not bolted down to the floor, he can use it as a weapon, and most of it he can cart around for a while. I recall beating that game with a wide assortment of hammers, screwdrivers, kitchen knives, wrenches, meat cleavers, and all manner of other objects to beat, hack, or bludgeon monsters to death with. Oh, but it also has one of the weirdest monster designs, the floating head cage. Those things suck. Run if you see one.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Homecoming is bad, but the little brother actually looked like one of my little brothers when the game came out, so it always resonated with me. I played that game way more than I should have. Unfortunately it also resulted in my departure from the series, as I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games that followed.

Origins is great, save that your character has really, really, really deep pockets. Seriously, if it's not bolted down to the floor, he can use it as a weapon, and most of it he can cart around for a while. I recall beating that game with a wide assortment of hammers, screwdrivers, kitchen knives, wrenches, meat cleavers, and all manner of other objects to beat, hack, or bludgeon monsters to death with. Oh, but it also has one of the weirdest monster designs, the floating head cage. Those things suck. Run if you see one.

I usually run from everything that moves. "Run away like a bitch" is my special move.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack wrote:Homecoming is bad, but the little brother actually looked like one of my little brothers when the game came out, so it always resonated with me. I played that game way more than I should have. Unfortunately it also resulted in my departure from the series, as I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games that followed.

Would like to hear your thoughts on Downpour. I think you'd like it. The story, characters, and interactions are back to being "weird" again and yeah, the story is just really good with a fantastic final boss. It's really not bad, but not perfect either. Worth a run.

If you guys both haven't played it, avoid Shattered Memories like the plague.
Ack

Post by Ack »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I usually run from everything that moves. "Run away like a bitch" is my special move.

I view most of these games with the Predator philosophy: "If it bleeds, I can kill it."

Xeogred wrote:Would like to hear your thoughts on Downpour. I think you'd like it. The story, characters, and interactions are back to being "weird" again and yeah, the story is just really good with a fantastic final boss. It's really not bad, but not perfect either. Worth a run.

Admittedly Downpour did interest me, I just never got the opportunity to play it. At this point, I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Would like to hear your thoughts on Downpour. I think you'd like it. The story, characters, and interactions are back to being "weird" again and yeah, the story is just really good with a fantastic final boss. It's really not bad, but not perfect either. Worth a run.

Admittedly Downpour did interest me, I just never got the opportunity to play it. At this point, I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

October.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)

Kung Fu Fight! is a fun little distraction from Nostatic Software. It is, basically, a runner with a story mode that looks and sounds like an advanced Intellivision game:

You can beat the "normal" mode in 10-15 minutes, but the higher difficulty settings, "infinite castle" mode, and trophies extend the game's life to at least a couple of hours. This may not seem like much, but the game is only $2 (and, of course, I bought it on sale for half that amount). Accordingly, I got my fun out of it, and since I enjoyed both it and Nostatic Software's Ascent of Kings, I plan on playing the rest of the developer's games before the end of the year. (Buying all of the Nostatic Software's games will probably cost less than $10, and they are perfect "palate cleansers" between longer campaigns.)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:@Bone

Because I've been playing these GB shmups off and on for years.* Some on hardware, some via emulation. I've got a lot of practice with most of them. Just decided to finally finish a bunch off.

Wait, so these GB shmup runs have all been 1ccs w/no cheats/save states/etc.? If so, color me impressed.

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES *new*
Super C - NES *new*
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES *new*

Total: 7

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

These were decidedly not 1cc runs, but I had a lot of fun playing through them over the last few days both solo and co-op with both my son and my gf's son. I haven't played any of these games in some time, and had never seen the entirety of Contra III in the past (that game is simply ridiculous and the overhead levels are cheap as fuck). Still, they are great for couch co-op when you just want to blow some shit up...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES *new*

I haven't played any of these games in some time, and had never seen the entirety of Contra III in the past (that game is simply ridiculous and the overhead levels are cheap as fuck).

Really? I find the overhead levels to be some of the easiest levels in the game.

I've still never found a good way to deal with the boss rush on stage 3 though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:Would like to hear your thoughts on Downpour.

I thought downpour had a good story and setting, but the gameplay was okay. It didn't have the horror feel for me that the early games did. It certainly wasn't bad, but it didn't especially impress me, either.

Xeogred wrote:If you guys both haven't played it, avoid Shattered Memories like the plague.

I vehemently disagree with this. I played Shattered Memories on Wii, and I absolutely LOVED it. The story was good, and it got the feel of apprehension down pat. The enemy encounters were great because you had no way to fight them; you HAD to run, making it feel like you were really being hunted. It also did right what I think Homecoming did so wrong - the enemy encounters weren't frequent, but they were impactful when they did occur.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES *new*

I haven't played any of these games in some time, and had never seen the entirety of Contra III in the past (that game is simply ridiculous and the overhead levels are cheap as fuck).

Really? I find the overhead levels to be some of the easiest levels in the game.

The first one was fine, but the second one with the narrow paths that required rotation to line up was super annoying.