Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Did you actually play the Japanese versions, Xumy?

I should probably try the non-Saga games.......
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I just finished Corpse Party: Blood Drive (the 11 main story chapters, anyway; I'm about to start the extra chapters after dinner). It's a great conclusion to the trilogy, but holy fuck, it's dark. I mean, it's to be expected, but seriously, that shit is dark and depressing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears towards the end of the last chapter.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

touchofkiel wrote:Damn, do you have a legit copy of Saga too?

Nah. I'm trying to put a kid through college and buy a new house. I can't afford to spend ridiculous amounts of money on decent old games. I mean, I could, but my wife would punish me surely.
MrPopo wrote:What do you mean by semi-auto?

I mean that when you start pressing the fire key rapidly the second game begins to fire off 3-5 shots per press, as opposed to only one shot per press as the first game does. So gunning down enemies with rapid pistol shots is much more ergonomic in Zwei.
Sarge wrote:I absolutely love the music in Panzer Dragoon.

After playing through the first two games, and a few hours of Saga, I absolutely agree. That's the number one aspect that has impressed me so far with this series, the god tier OSTs. I mean the art design is nice too, but blatantly rips off Mœbius' Arzach. I was also highly impressed with the programming tricks in Zwei. I've read up on Saturn programming and it appears to have been a nightmare machine to code for. Team Andromeda made that system their bitch though, really impressive. Impressive enough that it's a bit depressing I couldn't have experienced these games 20 years ago. Zwei's water effects alone would have blown my mind.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Did you actually play the Japanese versions, Xumy?

I should probably try the non-Saga games.......

Nah, I just like the Japanese covers better is all. And yes you should play the Panzer Dragoon games, I regret waiting so long as I did. Of course a Saturn was entirely out of my price range in 1995 though, so there's that fact to consider.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Haha, yeah the Panzer Dragoon games are among the few titles where I've listened to the OST's more times than I can count over the years, yet I haven't even played the games. :lol:

I wonder if Saturn emulation is better thesedays? I have two modded Saturn's, but would like an s-video upscaler before messing with them again. I remember burning Saturn games being a process too, since I had to change the region code to Japan for my main modded system to read them. Been kind of lazy about playing Saturn stuff again because of all this. :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote: wonder if Saturn emulation is better thesedays?

I've been using SSF to emulate the Panzer Dragoon games. They emulate perfectly and play perfectly. I also used SSF to emulate Shining The Holy Ark. However once in a while the emulator will freeze. It never happened with Zwei or Holy Ark, but it did once or twice with Panzer Dragoon. It freezes often with Saga though. Thankfully that game lets you save often.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

SSF is really good. Not as good as a real system, but it's the best game in town, and remarkably stable for most games. Really, it's the Camelot games that bug me, though, because it makes one of the instruments out of tune, which is horrible to listen to. Kinda like the non-adjusted Ufouria release on VC. :(
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The only issue I had with SSF is that when playing the Bug! games produced graphical issues.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Huh, I was under the impression that Saga didn't emulate well on ANYthing.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Nah, it's great on earlier versions, but there's a freeze bug at the very end in later versions of the emulator.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Hey Sarge what version of SSF did you successfully finish Saga with?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.