Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I've beaten both Out of this World (SNES) and Flashback (GEN). I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I don't think that "cinematic" platformers are really my thing. I will get through Prince of Persia someday, and then I may call it on the genre. Are there out there that might change my opinion or that I absolutely should not miss?

I managed to persist through Oddworld despite really not liking the genre, so that's probably a good sign of it's quality.

I couldn't bear Flashback, Prince of Persia or Another World.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Flashback is - admittedly - very, very cool, and I understand why some people would love it. I just found so much of its gameplay to be unnecessarily frustrating, and the sequence at the very end made me resort to save states. <shudder>

Also, thanks, AJ. I still need to play through Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee at some point, and unless someone talks me down, I will probably play through the remake sometime next year.

Finally, I found a site listing cinematic platformers, and I didn't see any other "must play" games on there. So, I will probably hang the genre up after I get through Oddworld and Prince of Persia. (I must beat both for "gaming literacy" purposes.) Interestingly, however, the genre appears to have experiences a brief resurgence on the GBA/GBC in the early 2000s, and a lot of the portable Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc. games of the era are actually 2D cinematic platformers.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I adore Out of this World, Flashback, and Prince of Persia. I've never been able to get into the Oddworld games though. I don't care for the vulgar fart-burp humor and I wasn't drawn in by any of the plot elements. It's hard for me to think of any other truly outstanding "cinematic platformers" as well. OotW, Flashback, and Prince of Persia set the bar too high. And I'm talking about the SNES version of Prince of Persia.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I went through Flashback this year, actually. It's definitely cool. A little frustrating at times, but I got through it. I was playing the Sega CD version on the actual console, so no save states for me! (Sadly, it wasn't a legit copy.)

I've also beaten Blackthorne, and it too was quite excellent. I'll get around to some of the other cinematic platformers some day. Out of This World is on the list that needs to be finished. Maybe next summer.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:I adore Out of this World, Flashback, and Prince of Persia. I've never been able to get into the Oddworld games though. I don't care for the vulgar fart-burp humor and I wasn't drawn in by any of the plot elements. It's hard for me to think of any other truly outstanding "cinematic platformers" as well. OotW, Flashback, and Prince of Persia set the bar too high. And I'm talking about the SNES version of Prince of Persia.

Yeah, the contrast in Oddworld between the goofy aliens and humor in its really gritty and dark world is pretty weird. I love the settings and atmosphere, not sure about the rest. I remember the sequel being extremely hard and I didn't get far in that one, but I did beat the first back in the day on PC.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:I adore Out of this World, Flashback, and Prince of Persia. I've never been able to get into the Oddworld games though. I don't care for the vulgar fart-burp humor and I wasn't drawn in by any of the plot elements. It's hard for me to think of any other truly outstanding "cinematic platformers" as well. OotW, Flashback, and Prince of Persia set the bar too high. And I'm talking about the SNES version of Prince of Persia.

Yeah, the contrast in Oddworld between the goofy aliens and humor in its really gritty and dark world is pretty weird. I love the settings and atmosphere, not sure about the rest. I remember the sequel being extremely hard and I didn't get far in that one, but I did beat the first back in the day on PC.

The first one is also extremely hard.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

The first one is also extremely hard.

I always faintly recall some Ewok forest like level with huge trees and towers. Like I must have been stuck in that area for days/weeks as a kid. lol
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I tried Oddworld and couldn't get into it. It felt very 90s. And not in a good way, but in a dated cringey sort of way.

Out of This World = love. Haven't played Price of Persia since I was a kid. Couldn't get into it then but I could probably appreciate it now. I have yet to try Flashback, Blackthorne, or Nosferatu.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Blackthorne is OK, but it gets very repetitive very quickly. It does have really solid atmosphere and you can shoot defenseless prisoners if that's your thing.

Nosferatu would probably be "alright" if it weren't for the obnoxious level timer.

Speaking of SNES cinematic platformers, here's one I've always meant to get around to:

Is it any good?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I've played it a bit. It is a solid game that makes good use of the SNES's "Mode 7" capabilities.