BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)

Generally speaking, I love second gen platformers. But this one's pretty terrible.

Right off the bat - the controls. As you may know, the ColecoVision controller has fourteen action buttons. Wanna know how to make a smurf jump? Up on the control disc. Oh, but it gets worse. To jump up and right to clear obstacles you must hold the disc straight up and then on the descent gently tap right. Sort of. I can't even explain it, or manage to get the jumps to behave in a consistent fashion. Sometimes I go really high, sometimes I stay low to the ground.

The game itself? Jump over shit. Like lethal patches of grass, for example. Keep trudgin' along until the girl smurf is saved.

I will admit that the graphics are pretty sharp, as is the walking animation. And it's always nice to see multiple music tracks in a game this old. But when the final turd drops what you're left with is a broken down mess of a game that pales in comparison to the likes of Donkey Kong, Kangaroo, Mountain King, and dozens of others. Pretty shocking, given the exemplary quality of the other Smurfs games. Avoid.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

103. Jet Impulse|DS|2007|flight sim|4h 45m|8/10

Developed by Gevo Entertainment, and published by Nintendo in Japan in 2007, Jet Impulse is a shameless Ace Combat rip off. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Namco must have been overwhelmed with a sensation of admiration. Because despite being a rip off of Ace Combat, Jet Impulse manages to be a really, really good rip off. This is definitely I Can't Believe It's Not Ace Combat! for DS.

The gameplay is relatively simple to describe. You choose a plane, listen to a briefing, fly the mission, accomplish your goals (destroying enemies mainly), and reap the reward points. Reward points can be used to unlock new planes for further missions. Occasionally you watch cutscenes that advance the plot. It's not a complicated cycle, but it's enjoyable, as mission variety is pretty decent, and the nuts and bolts fit well. By that, I mean the controls are super tight, the graphics are decent with an excellent frame rate, and difficulty balance is fair yet challenging. And Jet Impulse even manages to use the bottom touch screen in non-obnoxious ways, always a plus for an early DS title.

However, Jet Impulse is still a Japanese game, that is currently only available in Japanese. From a game-playing perspective this is not a big hindrance for someone who can't read Japanese. However, Jet Impulse has a very complex plot, told by many, many cutscenes. Some cutscenes are shown via actual anime, some are talking heads with dialogue boxes, and plenty of cutscenes are rendered in-game via polygons. Also it seemed that every single line of dialogue was voice acted, impressive given the platform. If you are unable to understand Japanese, you definitely miss out on a huge portion of the game design... Jet Impulse's obviously intricate and in-depth plot. Oh well, you can still blow plenty of stuff up even if you don't know why you're doing it.

See the little DS Air logo down and to the left?

The sad thing is, English speakers almost got the chance to have Jet Impulse in their own language. Nintendo was originally planning to localize Jet Impulse under the name "DS-Air", and made this information available to game journalists at the time. However, Nintendo must have decided that the massive cost of localizing a game like this with all its cutscenes and voice acting, wouldn't have been offset by the admittedly niche demographic who appreciate arcade flight sims... and on a handheld no less. That fact coupled with Nintendo trying to push the DS as a more casual-friendly device, and not a platform for hardcore games like Jet Impulse, makes understanding why Jet Impulse was ultimately not localized very clear.

I am a big fan of Ace Combat, and thus Jet Impulse was immediate comfort food for me. It plays well, runs well, and is very ambitious given its platform. So of course I wish Nintendo had actually localized this game. At the same time, to be honest, most gamers don't care for flight sims in general... so it's understandable. However, if you do enjoy arcade flight sims, and you own a DS, I strongly recommend importing Jet Impulse. If you really want to understand the plot, you can always read a synopsis online. But it's hardly important if all you want to do is blaze across the blue skies, while firing a fountain of missiles in a mach speed death machine.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Right off the bat - the controls. As you may know, the ColecoVision controller has fourteen action buttons. Wanna know how to make a smurf jump? Up on the control disc. Oh, but it gets worse. To jump up and right to clear obstacles you must hold the disc straight up and then on the descent gently tap right. Sort of. I can't even explain it, or manage to get the jumps to behave in a consistent fashion. Sometimes I go really high, sometimes I stay low to the ground.

It's been a while since I played it, but I managed to get the jumping down pretty reliably. This one's going to be dependent upon the condition of your controller, but I think if you just hit "up" twice the second jump will make you jump forward automatically...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)
67. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision)

Gateway to Apshai is the final entry in Epyx's seminal Dunjonquest RPG series (unless you count the Temple of Apshai Trilogy, which was a bundle of remakes) and the only entry to appear on a console. Second gen console RPGs are a rare breed, and there's something undeniably fascinating about them.

While most Dunjonquest games are abstruse and difficult CRPGs, Gateway is a stripped-down hack and slash loot-collectin' dungeon-crawlin' ARPG. The concept here is simple - traverse through eight levels (you could call them floors I suppose), each one more difficult than the last, whilst dodging death and achieving a worthy high score. There is no ending to be seen here - level eight loops indefinitely.

Perhaps the most difficult thing about this game was figuring out how to play it. The game feels designed with a joystick + keyboard control scheme in mind (it was also released on the C64 and Atari 8-bit computers); here the keyboard has effectively been replaced with the ColecoVision number pad. Now, either side fire button performs an action. What action is performed is dependent on what "mode" (chosen by a numerical key) is currently active. For example, to attack the number 1 has to be pressed sometime before the fire button. Need to open a locked door? Press 4 to switch to keys, then fire. 1 will have to be pressed again to switch back to fight mode should enemies lay other side of the freshly-opened door. There are additional buttons used to search for traps, use an item, drop an item, the status screen, the equipment screen, and so on.

The level structure is also a bit baffling. There are eight, as mentioned, but at the beginning of each level one can also choose any "dungeon" from 1-99. Changing this number shifts around the rooms of each level. It's essentially window dressing as the actual content (enemies, items, traps, and so on) remains the same. Of course this didn't stop the developers from advertising the game as one containing "792 dungeons."

Levels don't contain exits. You can explore all you want but never find one. How does one progress to the next level? There are two ways to do this. One is to let the clock run out. The other is to press the 0 button. Yes, you can advance ahead any time. Does this mean that one can press 0 multiple times to effectively "beat" the game? Yes, if you wanna be a douche about it.

Experience points are awarded at the end of each level. They are based on who the hell knows. Points, I would assume? I will say that if you chose to jump ahead without proper exploration and loot-gathering awarded XP will be zero which will make enemies in the next stage extraordinarily hard to kill.

Ah yes, the combat. The game's downfall, really. Most everything else is fun: the loot collecting, the weaponry, the wandering... But combat sucks. It's extremely difficult to slay enemies without taking massive damage yourself, and everything just boils down to a button-mashing frenzy. On many occasions I found it best to simply outrun foes, or lure them into a spot where the dumb AI causes them to get trapped in a corner. In addition to the shaky combat controls, HP is not displayed on screen but rather in the status menu. This means that during the course of any given skirmish it's impossible to tell if an enemy if beating you senseless with each blow (run!!!) or only taking away 1 HP at a time (stay and fight). It's a huge oversight that really mucks up the entire experience.

Despite this glaring flaw, I'd recommend the game. If only for historic purposes. As one of the earliest action-RPGs it's pretty fascinating. Only game in the series that's really accessible too, as the rest where released on floppies/tapes on obscure systems like the VIC-20 and TRS-80. All three versions of Gateway to Apshai are cartridges, and typically run about $20.
Flake

Post by Flake »

3/19: Sonic Generations (3DS)
3/22: Sonic Colors (Wii)
4/10: Sonic Adventure DX (GCN)
4/17: Knuckles in Sonic 2 (SG/WiiVC)
6/15: Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP/PSTV)
8/4: Metal Slug (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 2 (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug X (Arcade/PS4)
8/5: Metal Slug 3 (Arcade/PS4)
8/22: Megaman X (SNES/GCN)
8/29: Megaman X2 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X3 (SNES/GCN)
9/3: Megaman X4 (PSX/GCN)
9/4: Megaman X5 (PSX/GCN)
9/5: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PSN/PS3)
9/6: Street Fighter V (PS4)
9/10: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PSX)
9/17: Dragonball Xenoverse (PS4)

Feel like I am making a lot more progress in gaming during the back half of the year. Based on a recommendation by noiseredux, I picked up the PSX release of Super Puzzle Fighter from the local brick and mortar store. Got a decent price - only $14.

This game does a lot of what I wished the HD Remix on PSN did. There is a neat mode where you unlock dozens of items and costume colors. There is a lot more variety in win quotes, as well. Oddly, I preferred the graphics on the PSX release. In retrospect, the HD remix changed a lot of things for no reason and it made the games art assets feel like they were mismatched.

I also played through Dragonball Xenoverse again. It's such fun game as long as you do not bother with online competitive modes - players that were awesome to cooperate with become cheating jerks the moment you are fighting against each other. The sequel comes out late next month and I am pretty psyched for it.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
2. DOAX3 Fortune Edition (PS4)
3. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
4. DOOM (2016) (PC)
5. Halo 5 (Xbox One)
6. Dark Souls (PC)
7. Call of Duty (PC)
8. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC)
9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
10. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
11. Bloodborne (PS4)
12. SOMA (PC)
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Played a little shy of 98 hours, taking down all the bosses in the main game and all three DLCs. Raised the level of a couple areas for boss drops, but otherwise just did NG. Made liberal use of NPC Phantoms if they were particularly useful for a boss.

Thoughts:
I actually bought this game twice over. Originally, I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale intending to play it on PC, and had fired it up once or twice. When I decided to really dig in, I felt like playing it on my living room setup, so I just rebought it for PS4 to do so. Either way, I had the remixed version of the game to play (I own the original PS3 release too, but it's still sealed I think). On PS3 or 360, Scholar of the First Sin is really Dark Souls II: Game of the Year Edition – the original release plus the DLC. On PS4/One/PC, SoTFS is ported to a newer engine (better lighting, strives for 60fps), support for more players/NPCs at a time, and changed up enemy and item placement.

Generally, the game isn’t as highly regarded as other games in the series. Heck, the guy at Gamestop that rang me up when I bought the PS4 version warned me it wasn’t as good. Often, it’s attributed to the fact that it’s the only Soulsborne game that Hidetaka Miyazaki didn’t direct personally, and instead spun off to the “B team” while he worked on Bloodborne. I definitely found it to be a little bit of a mixed bag, but it wasn’t all bad.
One of my minor gripes with Bloodborne was the general lack of variety, both environmentally, and in terms of viable playstyle. Not valid complaints with Dark Souls II – it wouldn’t surprise me if it has the most area variety in the series, and turns a one-dimensional approach into a handicap. Since I’d decided to try to play more as a mage for this one, that forced me to adapt some – doubly so since magic had been nerfed significantly compared to what I thought I’d be able to build towards.
In creating that, however, the designers of Dark Souls II took a different approach in level design, and came up with environments that largely aren’t as intricately connected as those in other games in the series. That wouldn’t necessarily be bad, but with enemy placement and hazards frequently swinging more towards downright cheap instead of tough but fair, it just doesn’t come across as being as well crafted. Though, it’s a high standard to be held to, and the game does incorporate interesting – if occasionally devious – ideas in level design on occasion.

In part, it might also come down to some areas being designed around co-op play without scaling for it outside of bosses (which gain defense with more players/NPCs, and give reduced rewards). As good as a lot of the DLC areas are, all of them have gauntlets before some bosses that are just miserable for solo players. The game does somewhat compensate for that, since if you kill a mob enough times over (12 I think), it’ll stop spawning (unless you’re in the Covenant of Champions, which basically turns on hard mode). I resorted to that for the Smelter Demon runs, and was nearly there for a couple of the DLC bosses, but wound up beating them with NPCs before fully clearing out the run.

If the only thing that'd make navigating a whiteout blizzard better is being assaulted by crystallized reindeer as you do, look forward to the Frigid Outskirts!

Boss design, similarly, is rarely inspired, despite the game having the most of them in the series (41 – 32 in the base game, and nine more in the DLC). Lore-wise, it makes sense that many are humanoid – the game is set ages after Dark Souls, after someone elected not to link the fire I guess. Per the interview in the Design Works book (which I picked up during my playthrough), the world is supposed to represent the human-built world more than that of the fading gods that the first game is set in. Still, it doesn’t make boring bosses more interesting, or the frequent gank bosses less cheap.

At least the arena had nice kiting paths, which made it really not that bad.

I did feel like the designers did well in bringing some of the online experience to those of us who would just as well ignore it most of the time. While, in most areas, you can only get invaded while human (a status normally lost once you die), NPC invaders will now show up regardless…most of them are one-time challenge that may not be –welcome-, but do add to the flavor. Except Forlorn, who shows up randomly, even after there’s really a point (the first few kills unlock his armor to buy). Summoning NPCs still requires you to be human, but it’s less annoying as you can use the item to become so anywhere, and summon signs tend to be more conveniently located as well.
As a result, I wound up using NPCs a lot more often, which isn’t saying much considering I barely used them at all in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, with I think one boss in each game I beat using them. Certainly easier in a lot of cases, but sheer difficulty isn’t what really makes these games fun for me. Being hard enough that setup and strategy matters is more the thing, and that can include NPC support. There were bosses, like Fume Knight and the optional Sunken King boss (gank squad) that I opted not to use them, because the contribution of the ones available didn’t offset the defense increase.

Overall, I’d still say it’s good. While Dark Souls II doesn’t reach quite the peak of the first game’s design, at least the designers tried to expand and do something a little different. Copy/pasting the first game would have been less interesting. I enjoyed it, and I’d recommend it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nice stuff. Yeah, DS2 has consistently been my favorite experience with the online elements for sure compared to the others.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
30. Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC)
31. Dishonored DLC The Knife of Dunwall (PC)
32. Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches (PC)
33. Metro Last Light Redux (PC)
34. Doom 3 BFG Edition* (PC)
35. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
36. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil* BFG (PC)
37. Doom 3 The Lost Mission* BFG (PC)
38. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3)
39. Ultimate Doom* (PC)
40. Devil's Third (WiiU)
41. SOMA (PC)
42. Doom 2* (PC)
43. Gone Home (PC)
44. Metroid Other M (Wii)
45. Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut* (PC)
46. AM2R: Return of Samus (PC)
47. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
48. Metroid Zero Mission* (WiiUVC)
49. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)
50. Odallus: The Dark Call (PC)
51. Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
52. Resident Evil HD* [Chris & Jill] (PS3)

* replay

Haven't updated in a bit, but RE1 is the best.

PS3 version, imported for a physical copy. Comes with full audio/text English, reversible English cover art. Basically, full English.

Chris. 83 Creatures Dispatched. 358 Ammo Used. 30 Ink Ribbons Used. 24 Health Items Used. 9h 46m 14s
Jill. 93 Creatures Dispatched. 300 Ammo Used. 26 Ink Ribbons Used. 17 Health Items Used. 6h 07m 24s

This is the first time I think I've completed a Chris run, though maybe I did it back on the PSX at one point. So, I was tricked into playing "easy" with him though. It gives you some weird ambiguous difficulty options and I naturally assume the middle one is normal, but it's easy and the last option is normal. So I guess hard mode isn't unlocked from the start. After beating it, you get an additional option on the main menu that's "Once again..." that just flat out lists: very easy, easy, normal, and hard. I enjoyed my run with Chris so much this time around that I ran through it with Jill right after and beat both in just a few sessions.

Funny enough I never died with Chris and it's not that it was on easy mode, but I somehow got by some of the instant death traps like the boulders and whatnot. But it probably does help that he can take more damage than Jill. With Jill and that run, I died like 4 times to the boulders, and the Tyrant one shot me at one point. Sheesh!

It was cool that some new costumes were unlocked from the start. BSAA Jill and RE5/Roid Chris.

I still like Jill's campaign a bit more, for Barry, and her bigger inventory size. But despite having the lockpick... there is something about the progression early on that was different, and in a strange way I felt like with Chris I systematically traversed the mansion more efficiently. Maybe I picked the perfect doors a the the perfect time with the "small keys" (instead of Jill's infinite lockpick for those doors), but yeah. I'm sure the events are arranged a little differently. It was also nice having Rebecca around to "treat his wounds"... you know what that means.

I used to think the trophy list for this version was insane, and I still do in many ways. Beat it under 3 hours, beat it without saving, beat it only using the knife, etc to name a few. But it finally hit me replaying it again, that this game is seriously pretty much Metroidvania in design and that's why it's basically perfect. I imagine you can do some of these tasking trophy runs on very easy, so maybe they actually aren't that bad. But really, by this point I can probably map out the entire game. Still not always sure on the FOUR main keys and which doors they unlock, but I think it would be really fun to scientifically break this game apart and learn how to speedrun it. I can see how it lends itself well to that possibility. I found a cool channel and some videos of one guy doing crazy detailed runs if anyone is curious:

Chris - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0q1HeYSsPc
Jill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCliDdObo_k

You also unlock Real Survival mode after beating normal, which sounds interesting. Item boxes are not linked and you can only aim manually (isn't this how the PSX version was?). I think next time around I'll check this mode out or Hard. I once managed RE4 on Perfect, hehe. Always up for a Capcom challenge.

Overall, maybe my top favorite RE... maybe not. It's always a close one between this and RE4. But yeah, REmake HD Remaster is straight up perfection to me. It's a shame that Capcom has stated they will be remaking RE2, but giving it an actual full retooling unlike RE1 which mostly got a remaster with some newly added parts, but the gameplay itself is still mostly unchanged. I have many issues with Zero, but I'm a huge fan of the classic RE gameplay and I'd just love to see RE2 untouched, but with a face lift and maybe some new sections (it is rather short in retrospect). Guess it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

As for the technicalities, REmake HD Remaster here probably looks even better than the PS4 versions of RE4-RE6. It really is a shame this style of games with beautiful backdrops died off. Until Dawn did fixed camera angles again extremely well though. I keep hoping we'll see a resurgence with this type of game someday. Tank controls be damned, I love them. Bring it.

REmake HD Remaster. Get it. 11/10.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2016 So Far - 95

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28

February (8 Games Beaten)
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26

March (8 Games Beaten)
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28

April (13 Games Beaten)
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

May (6 Games Beaten)
50. Aero Fighters 2 - NeoGeo - May 8
51. Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS - May 11
52. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita - May 15
53. Doom - Playstation 4 - May 20
54. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - May 22
55. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - May 25

June (13 Games Beaten)
56. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - Vita - June 2
57. Republique - Playstation 4 - June 3
58. Splatterhouse - Playstation 3 - June 4
59. Spec Ops: The Line - Playstation 3 - June 5
60. 1943: Battle of Midway - NES - June 6
61. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - June 12
62. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - SNES - June 13
63. Homefront: The Revolution - Playstation 4 - June 15
64. Gone Home - Playstation 4 - June 15
65. Double Dragon Neon - Playstation 3 - June 16
66. Vanquish - Playstation 3 - June 17
67. Epic Dumpster Bear - Wii U - June 20
68. B3: Game Expo for Bees - Wii U - June 21

July (7 Games Beaten)
69. Raiden V - Xbox One - July 16
70. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U - July 16
71. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Playstation 2 - July 23
72. Lost Sea - Playstation 4 - July 24
73. Far Cry Primal - Playstation 4 - July 27
74. Black - Playstation 2 - July 28
75. Until Dawn - Playstation 4 - July 31

August (15 Games Beaten)
76. Divine Sealing - Mega Drive - August 1
77. Gal*Gun: Double Peace - Playstation 4 - August 2
78. Valkyria Chronicles II - PSP - August 5
79. Breach and Clear - Vita - August 10
80. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube - August 12
81. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation - August 15
82. Hello Kitty Kruisers - Wii U - August 16
83. Monster Monpiece - Vita - August 17
84. Army Men: Major Malfunction - Xbox - August 17
85. Layers of Fear - Steam - August 18
86. Kirby: Planet Robobot- 3DS - August 19
87. Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii - August 20
88. Caladrius Blaze - PlayStation 4 - August 20
89. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype - Vita - August 22
90. Saints Row IV - PS4 - August 30

September (5 Games Beaten)
91. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X - PS4 - September 2
92. Attack on Titan - PS4 - September 3
93. SOMA - Steam - September 5
94. Assault Suit Leynos - PS4 - September 8
95. Attack of the Friday Monsters! - 3DS - September 17

95. Attack of the Friday Monsters! - 3DS - September 17

This is a 3DS download game that came highly recommended from a number of different people and sources, so I had high hopes going into this one. It's definitely one of the most unique 3DS eShop games, and it's got a lot of charm in a fun, child-like adventure sort of way. The game is part TCG and part third person adventure. The gameplay consists of controlling a little kid as he goes around his new town meeting people and figuring out what's going on with the monsters that appear in town every Friday. Along the way, you collect cards that you use to play Monster Cards with the other kids in town (it's basically rock-paper-scissors fleshed out into a full game).

Without giving too much of the story away, you play as the son of the town's new dry cleaners in a town whose main draw is the television studio where monster TV shows are filmed, and every Friday afternoon, monsters appear right outside the town. The different quests are called "episodes," and some will be finished almost as soon as they begin while others may last from the very beginning of the game until the very end (which will probably take you roughly 3 hours).

It's a very unusual game, and it really does give you feeling of being 9 years old again with the wacky adventures that kids that age conjure up for themselves. Despite the fact that I have a lot of admiration for the game and think it's an excellent addition to the 3DS digital library, I didn't care much for it. The Monster Card games were entertaining, but the overall game and story left me feeling very "meh." I think the biggest reason for that is that I have a hard time getting into stories that don't have meaningful character development, and while the game is well made, the characters are - with only a couple of exceptions - very flat. That's not necessarily a bad thing. You don't HAVE to have fleshed out character development to have a good game. For me, however, it's a bit of a turn off, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy the game as much as most people do.

If you've got a 3DS, I'd absolutely recommend giving it a download. It's not all that expensive, and it is a very chill, relaxing experience. Just don't go into it expecting a deep story or complex character development.
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)
10. Thousand Arms (PS1)
11. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
12. Mega Man 5 (NES)
13. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
14. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (XBOX)
15. Mega Man 6 (NES)
16. Metal Saga (PS2)
17. Mafia (XBOX)
18. Parasite Eve (PS1)
19. Shining Force (GEN)
20. San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing (N64)
21. Bushido Blade 2 (PS1)
22. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2)
23. ActRaiser (SNES)

24. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

I beat Resident Evil 4 on the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon!

I have only barely touched the Resident Evil series. I'm not a big fan of gore or horror, so the series never interested me. Also, when I did try and play it, I never got past the clunky controls and cheap deaths. It wasn't until Resident Evil 4 came out with revamped controls that I started taking interest. I was willing to give the game a shot and see if I could actually play one from the series.

The beginning took some getting used to. Immediately, you are thrown into the fire pit and I died several times. However, I kept at it and eventually, I was able to get past the difficult part. And that became the story of the game. I would get to a hard part, die a few times and then eventually overcome the obstacle.

The game is utterly flawless. There were only a few small areas where I was frustrated with the controls. At every single moment, I felt like I was in complete control. I never felt like I was too under powered or even over powered. The progression is simply phenomenal as the enemies never felt too difficult. Only one boss really felt cheap in the entire game.

Also, the story is rather intriguing. You never notice that large chunks of the game are one large escort mission. It is implemented so well that it goes off without a hitch. Plus, Ashley is never a pain and never gets in your way. It is done so well that you do not even notice it.

This was my first Resident Evil game and it is utterly fantastic. As having no attachment towards the series, the game is very enjoyable to play. In fact, it felt like a gateway game to the series. I'm now curious to try other entries and see if they are like this.